Here are 5 things you should never do in the park.

Kennywood

Kennywood

I used to be a VIP tour guide at Disneyland. Here are 5 things you should never do in the park.​

by insider@insider.com (Amber Wainwright )

1695214270839.png

• I worked as a VIP tour guide at Disneyland so I know which offerings aren't worth visitors' time.
  • The Pixar Pal-A-Round looks cool and relaxing but I'd much rather go on the monorail.
  • Avoid busy areas like the Mickey & Friends parking structure and Fantasyland.
In the five years I worked as a VIP tour guide at Disneyland, I got to know the park very well.

As an all-knowing theme-park expert who ensured guests had the best experience possible, I quickly learned which attractions weren't worth visitors' time.

Here are five things I recommend avoiding at Disneyland.

I recommend skipping the Pixar Pal-A-Round

1695214365121.png
Nothing beats a sky-high view of the park, but the Pixar Pal-A-Round isn't as relaxing as it looks.

This 150-foot-tall ride isn't your average Ferris wheel. You have the option of riding in a swinging or non-swinging gondola but, in my opinion, both options are uncomfortable. No matter if I was swinging or stationary, the nearby screams of the Incredicoaster, a roller coaster situated next to the Pixar Pal-A-Around, tainted the otherwise peaceful scenery.

If you want a relaxing alternative, I recommend the Monorail, a 13-minute-long transportation system that gives passengers scenic views of the park.

Steer clear of Fantasyland, a stroller central

It's nearly impossible to avoid crowds at Disneyland but Fantasyland is the one place that's guaranteed to be packed for the majority of the day.

I quickly learned that this area is a hub for parents and animation-loving children, and as a result, is often filled with tons of strollers and babies learning how to walk. It's adorable for a moment but can quickly become frustrating as you try to comfortably make your way through Fantasyland.

Traffic jams here are worse than on the I-10 during rush hour. Try to avoid Fantasyland until the end of the day, when it's slightly less crowded, or, if you want to move through rides and attractions quickly, steer clear of this area altogether.

Don't shop for merch until you're on your way out of the park

1695214620450.png
Trust me, I understand the urge to make a beeline for the gift shops. There might be that one piece of merch that you have to have or even a new limited-edition popcorn bucket.

Treat yourself to all of the goodies but don't buy them right when you enter the park. There are few things worse than lugging your merchandise around and then eventually feeling pressured to purchase a locker or leave the park to store your new items in your car.

Figuring out how to comfortably carry and store your merch can take away precious time in the park so if you're planning on buying items, especially bulky objects like lightsabers and drink sippers, save it for the end of your day.

Avoid the Mickey & Friends parking structure

No matter where you park at Disneyland, there will likely be many cars already there. However, you do have a few options when it comes to parking.

If you drive a standard-sized vehicle, a $30 parking voucher will get you into the Mickey & Friends, Pixar Pals, and Toy Story lots. Out of the three, I've found that Mickey & Friends is the most well-known and crowded parking structure.

I recommend the Toy Story lot, which is also a designated parking area for oversized vehicles and buses and allows for a shorter walk to the entrance gate. This lot is less popular among guests so you might even find the parking spot of your dreams.

Don't wait at City Hall for a minor issue or question

1695214634162.png
Please don't spend an hour standing in line at City Hall for a birthday button.

Disney's City Hall, a guest-relations center, offers assistance regarding disability services, Disneyland app troubleshooting, itinerary planning, and day-of park issues, so it's usually very busy.

Since this center is typically bombarded with guests with high-priority issues, I recommend going somewhere else for general questions or minor matters.

There are so many guest relations locations throughout the park staffed with employees who can help you. Simply go on the Disneyland app and search "guest relations," and the locations will appear on the map.

City Hall is so small and gets busy fast, so why wait forever for something that could be a quick fix elsewhere?

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tr...&cvid=69312811247d4afcbc90f71b15fc0d60&ei=127

The merchandise one isn't even really applicable nowadays since by the time you come back to the store, the item you want could be sold out or if it's an apparel item, your size could be out. Also the stores are the busiest at the end of the night.

She specifically mentions popcorn buckets and if it's a limited edition one, those have a higher chance of selling out by the end of the day.

The merchandise one isn't even really applicable nowadays since by the time you come back to the store, the item you want could be sold out or if it's an apparel item, your size could be out. Also the stores are the busiest at the end of the night.

She specifically mentions popcorn buckets and if it's a limited edition one, those have a higher chance of selling out by the end of the day.
My "go to" advice for a while has been if you see something you know you want, buy it right away. We have wasted a lot of time trying to track down things we saw earlier in the day.

I don't see this as a very helpful list. What a VIP tour guide sees and does is not necessarily applicable to the average DLR guest.

It is far better/easier to get a locker or have some other means of storing purchases than to wait until late in the day when you're tired, stores are busy, you can't remember exactly where the item was, what you wanted is sold out, etc.

Avoid Fantasyland? How about knowing the better times to go, or realizing it's an area that can be congested but hey, it's Disneyland so sometimes you deal with it? The tone of that suggestion seems geared toward adults who don't want to be around small children and their trappings. If that's the case, figure out times when there won't be as many little kids, but sheesh! It's Fantasyland! It's one of my favorite areas and my children are all grown.

Telling people to avoid Pixar Pal-A-Round is just odd to me. You can see pretty easily what it is and does. Yes, it can be pretty anxiety-inducing, especially when you're in one of the swinging baskets, but....that's the point. Avoid it if you're not a ferris wheel kind of person, but also don't let someone make you afraid to try it. I only tried it for the first time last year, on a swinging basket, and only because my 6-year-old grandson wanted to go. I thought it was a blast and loved the view, and I'm normally not one for ferris wheels. Being enclosed made a big difference for me. However, it did take quite a while to get through the line and onto the ride, but I don't know if that's typical or not. It didn't seem like a long line when we got into it, ha ha.

I don't see this as a very helpful list. What a VIP tour guide sees and does is not necessarily applicable to the average DLR guest.

It is far better/easier to get a locker or have some other means of storing purchases than to wait until late in the day when you're tired, stores are busy, you can't remember exactly where the item was, what you wanted is sold out, etc.

Avoid Fantasyland? How about knowing the better times to go, or realizing it's an area that can be congested but hey, it's Disneyland so sometimes you deal with it? The tone of that suggestion seems geared toward adults who don't want to be around small children and their trappings. If that's the case, figure out times when there won't be as many little kids, but sheesh! It's Fantasyland! It's one of my favorite areas and my children are all grown.

Telling people to avoid Pixar Pal-A-Round is just odd to me. You can see pretty easily what it is and does. Yes, it can be pretty anxiety-inducing, especially when you're in one of the swinging baskets, but....that's the point. Avoid it if you're not a ferris wheel kind of person, but also don't let someone make you afraid to try it. I only tried it for the first time last year, on a swinging basket, and only because my 6-year-old grandson wanted to go. I thought it was a blast and loved the view, and I'm normally not one for ferris wheels. Being enclosed made a big difference for me. However, it did take quite a while to get through the line and onto the ride, but I don't know if that's typical or not. It didn't seem like a long line when we got into it, ha ha.
Same! We avoided the Fun Wheel for a long time because everyone said how terrifying it was. We loved it from the first time we tried it. That line wouldn't be so long if if was a terrible ride.

And Fantasyland? Just stop it. That's the heart and soul of Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter