Here is how you can best voice your displeasure (or approval) regarding the Genie/Genie+ Service

I emailed earlier this evening. I had a call from guest services 15 minutes later. I thought it was a telemarketer so I let it go to voicemail. Apparently they do read the emails. The person left their name and number and asked if there was any way they could help. (?)

I can’t afford a trip anytime soon anyway, so it’s not like they’re going to be worried enough about losing my business to give me a phone call. But it’s nice to be heard, even knowing it’s not likely to have an effect.

I could learn to live with the idea of some kind of paid fastpass, although I still think it goes against the spirit Disney cultivated for generations. BUT...

My main problem is just how doggone complicated the whole Genie system is. I feel like I’d need a flowchart and a set of reference books just to get through a day in the parks. If they really felt like they had to bring in more money per guest, it seems like it would have been so much simpler to have just increased the price of an all-inclusive ticket. Or gone back to the opening-day system of charging a lower entrance fee and then requiring separate paid tickets for individual attractions. The higher cost of an “E” ticket made it more likely that fewer people would be using one st any given moment. And people were less stressed worrying about getting their money’s worth and feeling like they were paying for activities they didn’t even get to do.

And everything worked fine in the days before before paper FP, too. If the posted wait time for an attraction was longer than you felt like waiting, you just moved on to something else and came back later. Attractions like the Haunred Mansion were “people eaters,” with their high capacity moving even long lines through quickly. With the capacity to check wait times from anywhere in the park on your cell phone, it would be even easier.

I can’t help but feel like they’re capitalizing on the all-too-common frailty many people seem to have, of feeling like having more money makes you somehow more special. And before anyone jumps down my throat, yes, I know that paid VIP tours have always been available (I was on one once, as part of a conference for work, and it was pretty awesome). But they passed largely unnoticed by most average guests.

There was always a feeling for most of us, that when you left the real world behind and stepped into that happy place, everyone was more or less equal under that one moon and one golden sun. There was a great sense of camaraderie among all those strangers - nowhere else have I been as likely to strike up friendly conversations with people I’d never met and would probably never see again. We were all in the same boat, be it waiting in line for a ride, waiting for our ADR table to be ready, sharing a crowded bus or elevator, or even literally being in the same boat. We offer to take each other’s pictures. We share the last table in quick service restaurants so nobody has to eat standing up. We squeeze one more person into a crowded elevator or Monorail car. We keep an eye out for each other’s kids when they look like they might be wandering off into danger and ooh and ah over their little princess and pirate costumes. We lend a helping hand when somebody is having trouble getting into or out of a ride vehicle. We congratulate passers-by wearing birthday or anniversary buttons. Yeah, there are always a few jerks, but they’re generally the exception.

Is that going to continue to be the atmosphere now that we know all guests may be equal but some are more equal than others?

Anyway, I’m coming down off my soapbox for the night. Many thanks to the OP for that contact information, and to anybody who listened to me vent! :genie:

I haven't seen the system yet so I'll reserve judgement on how complicated it is.

Ditto. At first glance, there are things about Genie+ that I think might actually make planning a Disney Vacation (and by extension, my job) easier. And there are things I think might make it more complicated. We've got a training session on Genie+ today and I'm hoping we might get a few more details. But even then, it's not going to be easy to make a judgment call until we see it in action. The bottom line for me is that change is inevitable. And when change happens, there's almost always resistance and backlash initially. But in the end, it usually turns out that change is often not B & W good or bad ~ there's usually a ton of gray area. Will there be some things that certain people love and others hate? Of course. That's always the case. Will there be bumps and glitches in the initial days of the rollout? Probably. But historically speaking, the likelihood of this being a permanent unmitigated disaster is small. I bet that a year from now, Genie + and Lightning Lane lingo will just be a regular part of our Disney vernacular and that it will all be ok.

We were all in the same boat, be it waiting in line for a ride, waiting for our ADR table to be ready, sharing a crowded bus or elevator, or even literally being in the same boat.

Mostly you weren't in the same boat though. Some people were on an elevator at an All Stars and some were going up to the club levels at a Deluxe. Some people are eating at the Sci-Fi and some are at the chefs table at V&A's.

Is that going to continue to be the atmosphere now that we know all guests may be equal but some are more equal than others?

Ok, forget that there's already tons of options to spend more or less at WDW already.
The lines have been split into fast pass have and have nots for years. If you were in standby - you were a have not. Fast Pass was not an exclusive benefit only gifted to select guest, anybody could choose to use them or not. It's going to be the same lines (with a new sign that says LL instead of FP) - everybody is going to have the choice to use them or not.

How do we know that 90% think it's a bad program, especially this early in the game?

Look at Disney's own video announcements:

Disney video 1: 9100 thumbs down, 861 thumbs up : a 91% disapproval rate
Disney video 2: 14000 thumbs down, 1400 thumbs up : a 91% disapproval rate
Disney video 3: 6300 thumbs down, 762 thumbs up : a 89% disapproval rate

as of 8/23/21 10:00am EST

Don't let facts interrupt your argument. All opinions welcome.

Yet 100% of those downvoters haven’t actually used genie+ thus far…

So..... 29,400 thumbs down.... that added up to 90% of the millions and millions of Disney guests to you?
But, let's not let math interrupt your argument. All assumptions welcome.

I'm really not arguing :). Everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure. But like I said, there's always going to be initial resistance. I'm just not convinced (yet) that YouTube likes/dislikes in a sample size of roughly 10-15K viewers is representative of what actual public sentiment will be once this thing actually rolls out in its final form. I'm just not ready to pass judgment until I have all of the details. Maybe this will be a disaster. Maybe it will be fantastic and well-loved. My guess is, like any new rollout we've seen over the years, it's going to be somewhere in between. But we'll see as more details are released and things become clearer!

I think its a bit premature to be lodging complaints now when its not even in use yet. I think it would be best to see how it works in practice, what residual benefits there may be, and what tweaks are made between now and roll-out. No matter how many complaints are received now, Disney is still going to push forward. They are not going to scrap a developed project that just had a major announcement and likely cost $$$ in terms of actual cost and productivity time.

I think its a bit premature to be lodging complaints now when its not even in use yet. I think it would be best to see how it works in practice, what residual benefits there may be, and what tweaks are made between now and roll-out. No matter how many complaints are received now, Disney is still going to push forward. They are not going to scrap a developed project that just had a major announcement and likely cost $$$ in terms of actual cost and productivity time.

Exactly. Once the new system is rolled out (maybe even before), there will likely be focus groups and actual vetted surveys that will help Disney get a beat on guest satisfaction and make tweaks if necessary. That's usually how it works.

Ok, forget that there's already tons of options to spend more or less at WDW already.
The lines have been split into fast pass have and have nots for years. If you were in standby - you were a have not. Fast Pass was not an exclusive benefit only gifted to select guest, anybody could choose to use them or not. It's going to be the same lines (with a new sign that says LL instead of FP) - everybody is going to have the choice to use them or not.

The have and have not comparison doesn’t work here though. FP+ wasn’t a have or have not as much as a use or use not. The family with money to burn and the family that scrimped and saved for years had equal opportunity to use FP+. When you pay to play, you take that equality away, and it actually becomes a have and have not situation. Now, the family that scrimped and can’t afford to pay more might only experience half or 2/3 of the attractions as the family that has extra cash. The baseline experience of visiting a Disney park is no longer equal for every guest and I don’t like it.

I went to WDW the first year it was open, and every year since then. I remember the ticket books, which many have compared to this new system. I don’t compare this new system to the ticket books for two reasons. One, the general admission only ticket was priced very low back then because you weren’t expecting to do a lot just by going in the gate. Adjusted for inflation, it would be about $23 today, nowhere near current admission prices. It’s much different today, when you are paying very high prices just to walk in the gate on an allegedly all-inclusive ticket, only now there will be no guarantee you will get to ride anything without paying extra on top of that. Heck, we don’t even have all the entertainment and complimentary attractions that the park offered when it first opened, which were included with that general admission. It’s ironic that we are getting ready to celebrate the 50th anniversary and it feels like we as guests are getting so much less value now than we did in 1971.

Second, the way the ticket book system was set up, no guest was made to feel “less than” another. There were guests who bought larger books or additional loose tickets, but there wasn’t a separate line that shoved that fact in the face of people who could only afford the smallest book. We all waited in the same line and handed the same coupons to the CM. Everyone appeared to be treated equally, and perception is key when dealing with the public. If the system appears to be fair, even if it’s not, most people will be OK with it. Genie is making it very clear that some people are going to have a better visit than others, and I feel that is why they are getting a lot of pushback.

My AP doesn’t expire until next May, so I have time to see how it looks when the dust settles. I do not have any plans to pay to play. I pay enough for that AP, and the room nights I book when I use it. If, and it’s a big if, Disney decided to adjust their ticket prices down so it felt like a general admission only ticket instead of an admission and ride ticket, I might reconsider. But I feel like for the price of my AP it should already include reasonable access to the attractions and I won’t pay more to do so.

My issue with Genie+ really comes down to one thing: No ability for groups that have already given Disney a huge amount of money (aka DVC and AP) to get any of it for free. I don’t actually mind the $15/day. I could even get behind individual rides, assuming it’s a low price and doesn’t apply to that many rides. What bothers me is the fact that it appears nothing is being done for those of us who have already invested a huge amount of money in the company.

Ummmm, no. When 90% of those people who think its a BAD program haven't even done anything on it then THEY need to seriously rethink it.

While you are of course have every right to your opinion, I respectfully disagree. I think it is completely valid to not like the program prior to using it.
Apparently 90% of the people don't like something about it.... some valid possibilities:
- increased vacation expense
- inability to plan in advance
- 7am wake up times on vacation
- etc...

Perhaps as more details come out, or tweaks are made, opinions will improve. As announced, I think it is a big miscalculation.

The have and have not comparison doesn’t work here though. FP+ wasn’t a have or have not as much as a use or use not. The family with money to burn and the family that scrimped and saved for years had equal opportunity to use FP+. When you pay to play, you take that equality away, and it actually becomes a have and have not situation. Now, the family that scrimped and can’t afford to pay more might only experience half or 2/3 of the attractions as the family that has extra cash. The baseline experience of visiting a Disney park is no longer equal for every guest and I don’t like it.

Specifically referring to the atmosphere as I was- have you been to Universal, Six Flags, Cedar Fair etc.? People who paid aren't running through the passing lanes shoving their passes in the standby lines faces yelling 'whooooo VIP for us, you poor suckers have to wait - YEAH'. So I really don't think people are going to stop letting someone squeeze into an elevator over it, or stop wishing little princesses a happy birthday like the poster was implying. And if someone really is so angry and disgusted that a stranger had $15 more vacation budget that day, that they no longer want that little princess to have a happy birthday - that sounds like a them problem, not a Disney problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter