Here now live trip reports nightly!

Ok everyone I’m here! The only thing I hate from my 2016 trip that is still valid today is the closing of the pools at 8 pm, this time I wasn’t taken off guard by it and planned accordingly to wake up earlier and enjoy my day. So just remember if you want to enjoy the most of your Hawaii trip please get yourself up early!

So we landed yesterday and got a rental car since we’re in borrowed DVC points and can park. I was not impressed driving through the immediate area of Hawaii it literally felt like Manhattan…with a beach but I understand that’s the main tourist section and area for locals but man so much congested construction on such beautiful land. If you were a child of a certain era I feel like Hawaii was the ultimate vacation and relaxation destination the main Waikiki was in rough shape - homeless people everywhere on the beach, and I totally empathize with them but man it’s bad!

So like any non millionaire I drove to Costco to get the goods at a good price and man they got some great deals on some snacks and food you can bring to your room! I got some hard seltzers some liquor and some grab and go food but just stuff tide me over number one rule!

Then we made our way over to where AULANI is and man THIS IS HAWAII everything is so perfect and so luxurious. Disney really has a home run with this resort, and I was surprised how crowded it was! Check in was easy and my room was well appointed!

They are super strict about Covid compliance you have to have your safe travels account ready for the they want to see you were validated by the airport. Mask at all indoor locations even the lobby! If you don’t do it you have to test every two days if you want to eat inside even outdoor locations!

Got some quick photos with Moana and Mickey Mouse! They need more photopass people out if they want to make it worth the package price. Tons of great areas to take photos in here at AULANI! I believe I in 2016 there was a Photopass map!

The daily ewa is gone as well as calling for characters to find them everything is digital now! I know it’s silly but I liked the charm of the daily paper and calling the character line just fun little touches!

I got to take my son to the splash pad today and boy did he love it I even took him down the slide and he’s one years old he looked so shocked after the slide!

Lunch we went to monkeypod for happy hour…I’m sorry the food there is excellent it really is we got wings pizza and the pumpkin ravioli so so so good. Bill before my drink was only $28..,that’s awesome for Hawaii food!642980642981

Last edited:
Great pictures and thanks for the reports - keep ’em coming!

Enjoy, Aulani is a special place.

Any intel from cast members on timing of future opening of Ama Ama ( or replacement) would be appreciated.

just asked today and no one seems to give any kind of definitive answer other than soon. It looks like all the signage has been removed and the little lawn blocking structures in Disney world to shield viewing is up. Shame absolutely beautiful views and seating area! Monkeypod would make a KILLING if they rented that space

Great TR so far! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your updates.

One thing I think everyone should remember though - Hawaii is our 50th State, with real, live, actual people. Driving from the airport area, it should feel somewhat like any other major city, because it is! 😉 Similar challenges to any other area in the country - maybe worse because of the attraction of the islands, and the comparatively low wages due to the economy being service industry based for the most part. While everything isn’t paradise there anymore, there are still more pockets of paradise there than almost anywhere!

your food pics are making August seem even farther away…😭 Especially while I sit here eating my (Costco) blueberry muffin.

the character breakfast is absolutely incredible…but pricey! More to come!
Great TR so far! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to your updates.

One thing I think everyone should remember though - Hawaii is our 50th State, with real, live, actual people. Driving from the airport area, it should feel somewhat like any other major city, because it is! 😉 Similar challenges to any other area in the country - maybe worse because of the attraction of the islands, and the comparatively low wages due to the economy being service industry based for the most part. While everything isn’t paradise there anymore, there are still more pockets of paradise there than almost anywhere!

your food pics are making August seem even farther away…😭 Especially while I sit here eating my (Costco) blueberry muffin.

Totally get where your coming from and we have our own problems in Manhattan as well I just wish we could do something to help more! I just was pointing out what a difference between Waikiki and AULANI area this is Hawaii!

Last edited:
just asked today and no one seems to give any kind of definitive answer other than soon. It looks like all the signage has been removed and the little lawn blocking structures in Disney world to shield viewing is up. Shame absolutely beautiful views and seating area! Monkeypod would make a KILLING if they rented that space

thanks very much for asking. We loved the breakfasts at AMA AMA

Night Two!

character breakfast involves Mikey and Minnie taking a photo with you - socially distanced which I get but we are outdoors and EVERYONE is vaccinated! It didn’t bother me it was cute, then we walked into the restaurant which saw Pluto and goofy cooking up breakfast my son really really likes the characters it’s such a shame he can’t hug them, hopefully we get there soon!

you get seated outside and they are so respectful to ask about allergies I normally don’t run into a problem butI just tell everyone now my walnut allergies just in the off chance their hidden in there!

I got the Kailua pig omelet which was shreddder pork in and omelette with some potatoes on the side! My other half got the hamburger and fried rice with a egg on top and raved about the sauce my son liked it too! Also you can’t do Hawaii without POG juice! Plenty to go around!

This was a pool day like no other when I tell you I did it all I did it all with little to no waits the lazy river the two slides and the rainbow reef everything had little to no wait even the chairs we got prime seating arriving after breakfast which was so cool! The hot tub is where you meet so many wonderful people like legitimately wonderful kind people that love to talk (and so do I!)

I also went shopping got the photo frame, a meniuhi statue, and a tumbler which is so so nice. No shirts for guys larger than a medium which is weird but medium days are long gone lol! 10% off DVC or Disney Chase Visa I also got the Disney chase visa discount on rainbow reef so make sure you’re asking!

USE THE PHOTOPASS PEOPLE the picture are so so good! We did the beach photos and no one was using them! So I got a photo shoot essentially for free with them! It was amazing and the photos are awesome another awesome tip If you guys buy the photos from the Disneyland app it’s only $78 dollars for the week!

Finishing the night out tonight with one of uncles stories. Not getting why it isn’t by the fireside when it’s outdoors and people and up your butt on the lines for the slides!

Seriously lacking in disney characters though like where are the characters at? I loved the little hints of Disney at the resort and the characters make it feel special.

Enjoy, Aulani is a special place.

Any intel from cast members on timing of future opening of Ama Ama ( or replacement) would be appreciated.

I just looked up the building permits for the space and it looks like they've run into some issues. The permit for Ama Ama was been approved but was never issued, meaning the contractor did not go and pick it up. The associated permits for Off the Hook are stalled with multiple agencies requiring plan revisions. That space isn't going to reopen anytime soon unless they throw in the towel and decide not to renovate it. Which would be fine with me. If it ain't broke . . .

Did you buy those necklaces or did they start to give those out again when you arrive?

Thanks for your report. DD/DSIL leaving Thursday while we watch their (aging) kitty.
They've only been to Aulani twice as they're usually on other islands, but very excited to go and DD keeps asking me if anyone is there now talking about it.

So thanks for your updating.
PS: Your son is adorable as is that mug!

Day 3

sorry for the late updates yesterday but the baby was fussy so I was attending to him! Day three started with the complete and utter bewilderment that I’m here, that I’m ion Hawaii all the way from New York City it’s actually incredible if you think about that I’m in paradise!

A complete resort day again with me enjoying the slides lazy river and pools throughout the day! Mickey and Minnie waved from the bridge as well as Donald and Daisy but with no character meets/photos which was sad as I love meeting the characters! So I wish more character meet and greets would be available to get that disney charm in!

Had some shaved ice and you have to get the option with the Mickey ears and vanilla ice cream! It was absolutely amazing I got cherry guavas and pineapple and it was stunning I absolutely loved it. So make sure if your here you get a shaved ice for 6.00 it wasn’t breaking the bank and you get to share it with your family! Absolutely must do!

Also you HAVE to do the Meniihuni adventure game in the lounge it is SO fun it really makes you explore the resort and see some really cool special effects that you wouldn’t get to see otherwise!

Again we went to the beach and took some photos with the photopass people NO ONE was useing them so again we feel like we get a private session!

Movies on the lawn was Toy Story 4, and was a great movie to watch on the lawn in paradise…you can’t get better than this. A must do for you and your family if you see it on the schedule.

also another pro tip the app doesn’t always have the most up to date character info I know it’s old but on your resort phone call CHIP and they will still tell you daily character locations!

I have the luau tonight I will be back with more info and questions if you all need answers!

I think someone asked but the adult pool is gone kids in it without recourse I get it’s upsetting but the adults still have The beautiful hot tub!

Last edited:
Merch question... If you find yourself in the "fancier" gift shop (the one on the right), will you take a quick look and see if they have the floral Tommy Bahama Mickey shirt in orange and green? I have the pink and blue ones but I've only seen the orange and green one time at Yacht Club and they seem to have disappeared since then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter