HHI LOVERS THREAD

Was able to add a 4th day yesterday. Been checking for weeks. Guessing somebody cancelled.

yep Lots of people are scared. I will be in Hilton head in about two and a half weeks. Just booked last week. Was suppose to be wdw but wife was scared so changed it to Hilton head. She feels safer at Hilton head than wdw. Even thou wdw is safe or as safe as it can be. She even works at a supermarket in customer service.

yep Lots of people are scared. I will be in Hilton head in about two and a half weeks. Just booked last week. Was suppose to be wdw but wife was scared so changed it to Hilton head. She feels safer at Hilton head than wdw. Even thou wdw is safe or as safe as it can be. She even works at a supermarket in customer service.
We had bookings at WDW last week of September and first week of October, but cancelled. Next booking is in December...we'll see.

Apologies if this is answered already, I skimmed through the whole thread but might have missed the info I'm looking for. I keep hearing that even if you are not staying at the resort itself, you can mention that you are a DVC member and ask to have a look around. My question is, if you are NOT a DVC member, would they still let you in to take a look? I just didn't know if they'd let someone who isn't a carded DVC owner have a looksie. I may end up wanting to rent some points for a stay next year, if I find that I like HH in general.

We haven't been to HHI in many years.
I read through the DVC website for information, but still have some questions.

Can we rent chairs and umbrella at the beach in late September? Cost?
Cost for bike rental at the resort?
I saw there is a refillable mug. Where can it be filled?
Are there refreshments available at the Beach House in late September?
Does Signals have a chef available to work with a family member who is gluten and dairy free?

Thank you for your help.

I just called the front desk yesterday and they told me that length of stay bike rental is $37.99/person including helmet, basket and lock.

The Hilton Head Town Council voted today to extend the current Facial Mask requirement until October 17, 2020.

Here is a report from this evening from the Island Packet newspaper - https://www.islandpacket.com/news/coronavirus/article245061415.html?

Recent reports from the SC health department indicate that the positive test numbers have been declining in Beaufort and especially on Hilton Head Island. The % of positive tests has also declined.

Compliance has been very good locally since the mask requirement was initiated. Hilton Head’s mask rule extends to all commercial spaces, including grocery stores, restaurants, bars, gyms, stores, hotel lobbies and other businesses.

Apologies if this is answered already, I skimmed through the whole thread but might have missed the info I'm looking for. I keep hearing that even if you are not staying at the resort itself, you can mention that you are a DVC member and ask to have a look around. My question is, if you are NOT a DVC member, would they still let you in to take a look? I just didn't know if they'd let someone who isn't a carded DVC owner have a looksie. I may end up wanting to rent some points for a stay next year, if I find that I like HH in general.
Sure, the HH Resort has limited parking so they may not allow onsite parking, but you can certainly park in the Shelter Cove parking areas and walk across the bridge (next to Scott's Fishmarket) to visit the resort. The first building you'll come to is the Live Oak Lodge - home to the resort's front desk and Big Murgie's Den. YOu can stop in there and ask about walking around. If there are any unoccupied villas they may be able to give you a look at some of the accommodations.

There is a Beach House on the ocean about a mile away, but that is accessible only to resort guests with a room key for access. There is public access to rest rooms and even a public window for Signal's restaurant to order food. Access to the Beach House is limited to those with a guest pass in order to get through the security gate but those on bikes or on foot can still get to the Beach House. You can ask at the resort, but access to the Beach House is not usually allowed to anyone except resort guests. There is public access to the beach however.

Enjoy! :)

As an update, called the resort directly to ask a few questions. I was told that food is served daily at the Beach House at the bar only from 11 to 5, the other Quick service at the Beachhouse is closed due to Covid.
Can't wait for HHI :yay: ...its been a year since we were last there. ::yes:: A couple of storms brewing in the Atlantic..hope that these storms are not an issue. :eek:

I just wanted to pop in and say that we just today booked our annual Spring Break trip in March.
We had to cancel March 2020 - our trip was supposed to begin the DAY that the resorts announced closures.

It feels good to have an official HHI countdown again - I genuinely cannot wait to see the Cast Members again, and - coming from the Philly area, we ALWAYS look forward to our Publix visits LOL - my DH is obsessed with their iced tea.

I just wanted to pop in and say that we just today booked our annual Spring Break trip in March.
We had to cancel March 2020 - our trip was supposed to begin the DAY that the resorts announced closures.

It feels good to have an official HHI countdown again - I genuinely cannot wait to see the Cast Members again, and - coming from the Philly area, we ALWAYS look forward to our Publix visits LOL - my DH is obsessed with their iced tea.
Don't forget Publix either fried chicken, chicken strips, or made to order fresh grinders(hoagies, sub sandwiches)..SO good and the sub sandwiches are very reasonably priced! Enjoy your upcoming trip!

we ALWAYS look forward to our Publix visits LOL - my DH is obsessed with their iced tea.
Don't forget Publix either fried chicken, chicken strips, or made to order fresh grinders(hoagies, sub sandwiches)..SO good and the sub sandwiches are very reasonably priced! Enjoy your upcoming trip!

Keep the food recs coming in!! Headed there in a few weeks and furiously writing down all your suggestions!! :)

Keep the food recs coming in!! Headed there in a few weeks and furiously writing down all your suggestions!! :)
Fresh seafood to cook on your own
Bennie Hudson's Seafood Market (12-15 minute drive)
Barnacle Bill's Fresh Seafood (5-7 minute drive)
Kroger's in the Shelter Cove Towne Centre (2-3 minute drive; 10-12 minute walk)

Seafood restaurants
Scott's Fish Market (2-3 minute walk across the bridge): solid food, decent service, but location makes it a player
Ela's on the Water (5-7 minute walk across the bridge): excellent food, good service, and better at social distancing
Fishcamp on Broad Creek (12-15 minute drive): excellent food, excellent service, very good at social distancing
Skull Creek Boathouse (12-15 minute drive): great atmosphere, superb menu, but doesn't take reservations, always busy
Hudson's Seafood House (close to Skull Creek Boathouse): a popular local joint, we've had great food and service and meh food and service. Still, worth a look.
The Black Marlin (15 minute drive): solid food, good social distancing, good service
Others will undoubtedly suggest other worthy places, but these are our most frequented spots.

Other restaurants
Word of note here: we don't do pizza or BBQ or burgers or Tex-Mex while on the island--we get plenty of that where we live if needed. We prefer to go for seafood.
OMBRA Cucina (5 minute drive): Topnotch Italian; annually one of the top-rated restaurants and chef-owner in HHI
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana (8-10 minute drive): rivals OMBRA in most aspects; they do great curbside delivery, too
Hilton Head Social Bakery (sits beside Scott's): great pastries, quiches, etc. Only open from 8-4, but great for late morning or mid-afternoon brunch items, or take back to room for later. Expensive but good.

You rock, sleepydog25! :thanks:

I especially love your extra tidbits of info...we are hoping to eat outside/have good social distancing or even good takeout options.

You rock, sleepydog25! :thanks:

I especially love your extra tidbits of info...we are hoping to eat outside/have good social distancing or even good takeout options.
The outside seating areas that best practiced social distancing were Ela's, Fishcamp, and Black Marlin. When we were there several weeks ago, Scott's servers were all wearing masks but the tables were a bit too close for comfort. The tables themselves might have been six feet apart, but the chairs definitely were not. Conversely, the three I mention above still had six feet of separation from chairs at other tables. On a side note, unless things have changed, San Miguel's in Shelter Cove did NOT look like a good place for social distancing. It has an outdoor bar that was crowded, and tables were too close to each other. As one poster said in another thread, it looked like a "giant mosh pit." Things may have changed for the better by now.

Also, I failed to mention Tide Me Over which serves made-to-order foods including Mickey waffles! And within a 6-8 minute walk, you can walk into a stand alone Starbucks if the coffee pot in the room doesn't work for you (it doesn't for us!). Cheers! And, have a great trip! HHI is a wonderful place to vacation, and the CMs are the best, period.

My family is planning a trip to the Hilton Head Island resort in January. One of the things we love most about this resort is all the activities (ping pong, bocce ball, shuffleboard, fishing, etc.). Are all of those things still available during covid?

We have a March HHI trip booked as well!
We come from Cape May, the Jersey Shore, Philly area too, in a way! Close enough to be Philly Fans.

I see you're from Jersey. How are the rolls? I'm from Philly and I've had hoagie rolls in other parts of the country that are just not good.

My family is planning a trip to the Hilton Head Island resort in January. One of the things we love most about this resort is all the activities (ping pong, bocce ball, shuffleboard, fishing, etc.). Are all of those things still available during covid?
Most are, but you have to ask the rec folks for the equipment. The pool table in the main building isn't open. Not sure about ping-pong. Check with the front desk. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter