*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Yes, we were there for New Year's Eve in 2022, staying overnight into New Year's Day 2023. The resort is a little quieter, but they still have events going on!

I went back and quoted some posts from around that timeframe. See above for activities during the last and first weeks of the year.
thank you! I am nervous about the weather but it looks like they are still planning things by the pool at this time.

I have a question. The public website for cash reservations is showing discrepancies in price.

Rooms for the last week of the year were just released, but they do not match the previously disclosed prices that have been available in the Rate Calendar. For example, the price for a deluxe studio from 12/30-12/31 is now listed as $388 plus 10% tax for a total of $426. However, when you click on Rate Details --> View Rate Calendar --> Scroll to December 30th, the price was supposed to be $353 plus 10% tax for a total of $388 (so the new base rate of $388 is what the previous total amount should have been). This discrepancy only seems to apply to studios.

From my experience, once the Rate Calendar is released for certain dates, prices don't change. Does anyone know if they actually raised prices on studios 10% or are they accidentally including the tax in the website price and then adding tax on top of that?

ETA: Here's the website for reference, https://hiltonhead.disney.go.com/rates-rooms/.
When i click that night, I see the base price as 353 for a studio, then 10% tax.

Actually, I just played around with it and if I put 1 or 2 people in the room, it’s $353.

3 or 4 people bump it to $388.

Has anyone had that happen for a studio before?

Actually, I just played around with it and if I put 1 or 2 people in the room, it’s $353.

That is odd.
I thought DHHIR charges the same amount up the maximum people in the room?
We have stayed on cash, DVC cash, and points a bunch without ever seeing that pricing change.

That is odd.
I thought DHHIR charges the same amount up the maximum people in the room?
We have stayed on cash, DVC cash, and points a bunch without ever seeing that pricing change.
Thanks. I agree, we’ve never seen this or had this happen to us before.

I have a question. The public website for cash reservations is showing discrepancies in price.

Rooms for the last week of the year were just released, but they do not match the previously disclosed prices that have been available in the Rate Calendar. For example, the price for a deluxe studio from 12/30-12/31 is now listed as $388 plus 10% tax for a total of $426. However, when you click on Rate Details --> View Rate Calendar --> Scroll to December 30th, the price was supposed to be $353 plus 10% tax for a total of $388 (so the new base rate of $388 is what the previous total amount should have been). This discrepancy only seems to apply to studios.

From my experience, once the Rate Calendar is released for certain dates, prices don't change. Does anyone know if they actually raised prices on studios 10% or are they accidentally including the tax in the website price and then adding tax on top of that?

ETA: Here's the website for reference, https://hiltonhead.disney.go.com/rates-rooms/.

Well, I called to see if anyone knew what was going on. Turns out they charge $35 for every adult above double occupancy in any studio (not 1 or 2 bedrooms). I asked if this was a new policy. They weren't sure how long it's been like that, but said they do the same thing at Disney World.

The cast member could obviously see the price breakdown on their screen, but it does not show this when booking, nor in the confirmation email.

When we last stayed in a studio, we only had 2 adults and 2 children. Since this is the first time we are booking a studio with at least 3 adults, I can't confirm how long it's been like this. Weird.

ETA: Based on other threads, it looks like it's been like this for many years. We now realize that our WDW package also had $15 per night added for the third adult (at a non-DVC value resort). This is new for us, and I understand other hotels may do this, but I guess I'm surprised at the lack of disclosure while booking? Interesting...

Last edited:
thank you! I am nervous about the weather but it looks like they are still planning things by the pool at this time.
Sure. Even though it was cold and rainy when we were there, they still moved forward with the various activities, and people still participated!

Is there enough to do in the area for a week in December? I would plan as if swimming was off the table and then if it was nice enough its a great surprise. We are from a coastal town in New England so seeing the boats decorated and a cute Christmas store would be nice but not occupy us for long.

Is there enough to do in the area for a week in December? I would plan as if swimming was off the table and then if it was nice enough its a great surprise. We are from a coastal town in New England so seeing the boats decorated and a cute Christmas store would be nice but not occupy us for long.
There's enough for me, but I'm happy watching grass grow at my age.

I wander the resort and bird watch and Dolphin watch . I visit the Wildlife Refuges - Pinckney and Savannah.

Eating out and planning special meals that I enjoy are big for me.

Also sometimes I'll browse the second hand stores looking for that long lost masterpiece. Never find anything.

Walking the beach early morning wrapped up well is a habit of mine, and waiting for sunrise. I'm usually the only one parked under the beach house for this, but by the time it starts to brighten a bit others come from the homes and resorts nearby. I'm a super early bird so I don't expect many to enjoy stuff I do on vacation.

Decorated boats are fun for a walk around the marina. A few stay decorated all year.

Stuff that holds little interest: Pluto. After one or two times, over. If Grandchildren are along, that's a must. Pluto was the resort's replacement for Shadow and B'Lou. Just not the same. Many enjoyed the kitsch and many were one and done.

I miss the 'old' entertainment: a real chef preparing an appetizer such as local shrimp with yukon gold potatoes and sweet potatoes, combined with rich butter and heavy cream and served with wine at the Beach House for a nominal price, while back at the resorts the castmembers 'baby sat' your kid while having a program for little kids during the same time period - instant date night maybe only 1 and a half to 2 hours, but much appreciated. Older kids could go to the movies in the resort bus with another group of castmembers.

There was also a dining event you could have in a villa with a kitchen. My last one got cancelled when this program got discontinued.

Substitutes for the above: happy hour at Poseidon, followed by dinner there or somewhere like (insert current favorite). There are many great places.

Arrive with car - day trip to Savannah or Charleston, both of which are fun as well as historical and touristy and decorated beautifully in December. Don't eat at Paula's, it's a mess now. Do buy some pralines. Skip the boiled peanuts unless you grew up with them and already have a developed taste (not me). Take a carriage tour in Charleston but not in Savannah. Do a ghost walk in Savannah.

Go golfing! Play tennis. Do a boat thing such as fishing or dolphin watching.

Learn about war and the cr eation of Hilton Head from mosquito infested swamp to desirable destination. Touch on Gullah culture. I would say 'buy a sweetgrass basket' but not sure you would find them except in shops. Used to be everywhere you went on the side of the road.

Visit the Coastal Discovery Museum. Check out sea turtles which nest on HHI, just not usually in December.

Ride a bicycle. Walk a path. Over behind the Kroger is a lovely park with some nice walking areas and small ponds where you can find water birds and maybe more. You'll also find a community Xmas tree in December where I see loads of people taking family photos. There's a breakfast place here called The French Bakery, not to be confused with Social Bakery closer to the Disney resort. It was good both times I ate there. But busy.

There are spas as well if you want to get away a bit and pamper.

And, also there is Sea Pines with it's fake lighthouse. Looks real enough to me. There's a real one inland in Leamington that is not advertised much. It's not a working light and can only be viewed from outside, and there's only roadside parking now. You go past the Disney Beach house to the next check point and ask to get in to see it. Usually they will give permission and a leaflet. Return the way you came as exiting to 278 from Leamington can be ticketed. Keep your eyes open as you try to find it and I suggest this mostly for people fascinated with lighthouses. https://www.hiltonheadlighthouse.com/?utm_medium=local&utm_content=Lighthouse

That's all I got right now. Well, except after you cross into the resort and park your car, walk back to the water and enjoy jumping fish, possible dolphin and lots of shorebirds with occasional Otter..

I wander the resort and bird watch and Dolphin watch . I visit the Wildlife Refuges - Pinckney and Savannah.

Also sometimes I'll browse the second hand stores looking for that long lost masterpiece. Never find anything.

Walking the beach early morning wrapped up well is a habit of mine, and waiting for sunrise. I'm usually the only one parked under the beach house for this, but by the time it starts to brighten a bit others come from the homes and resorts nearby. I'm a super early bird so I don't expect many to enjoy stuff I do on vacation.

Decorated boats are fun for a walk around the marina. A few stay decorated all year.

Stuff that holds little interest: Pluto. After one or two times, over. If Grandchildren are along, that's a must. Pluto was the resort's replacement for Shadow and B'Lou. Just not the same. Many enjoyed the kitsch and many were one and done.

I miss the 'old' entertainment: a real chef preparing an appetizer such as local shrimp with yukon gold potatoes and sweet potatoes, combined with rich butter and heavy cream and served with wine at the Beach House for a nominal price, while back at the resorts the castmembers 'baby sat' your kid while having a program for little kids during the same time period - instant date night maybe only 1 and a half to 2 hours, but much appreciated. Older kids could go to the movies in the resort bus with another group of castmembers.

There was also a dining event you could have in a villa with a kitchen. My last one got cancelled when this program got discontinued.

Substitutes for the above: happy hour at Poseidon, followed by dinner there or somewhere like (insert current favorite). There are many great places.

Arrive with car - day trip to Savannah or Charleston, both of which are fun as well as historical and touristy and decorated beautifully in December. Don't eat at Paula's, it's a mess now. Do buy some pralines. Skip the boiled peanuts unless you grew up with them and already have a developed taste (not me). Take a carriage tour in Charleston but not in Savannah. Do a ghost walk in Savannah.

Learn about war and the cr eation of Hilton Head from mosquito infested swamp to desirable destination. Touch on Gullah culture. I would say 'buy a sweetgrass basket' but not sure you would find them except in shops. Used to be everywhere you went on the side of the road.

Visit the Coastal Discovery Museum. Check out sea turtles which nest on HHI, just not usually in December.

Ride a bicycle. Walk a path. Over behind the Kroger is a lovely park with some nice walking areas and small ponds where you can find water birds and maybe more. You'll also find a community Xmas tree in December where I see loads of people taking family photos. There's a breakfast place here called The French Bakery, not to be confused with Social Bakery closer to the Disney resort. It was good both times I ate there. But busy.

And, also there is Sea Pines with it's fake lighthouse. Looks real enough to me. There's a real one inland in Leamington that is not advertised much. It's not a working light and can only be viewed from outside, and there's only roadside parking now. You go past the Disney Beach house to the next check point and ask to get in to see it. Usually they will give permission and a leaflet. Return the way you came as exiting to 278 from Leamington can be ticketed. Keep your eyes open as you try to find it and I suggest this mostly for people fascinated with lighthouses. https://www.hiltonheadlighthouse.com/?utm_medium=local&utm_content=Lighthouse

That's all I got right now. Well, except after you cross into the resort and park your car, walk back to the water and enjoy jumping fish, possible dolphin and lots of shorebirds with occasional Otter..
omg such amazing information thank you so much!!! What I am thinking of is taking a break from the parks and typically I am always searching for HOT and BEACH...but you have rekindled my memories of Southern Living and you may have convinced me to book.

Wildlife is something we are always very excited about. Dolphins, birds any of that would be great. I have a 10 yr old animal lover. Husband loves golf. So I could always set him up with a tee time and do something with my daughter. I wish there was still a kids club though as she loves making new friends and having her own time without parents.

We would definitely have a car. So (embarrassingly enough) although my son was born in St Marys and I spent years living in south GA I have never been "up to Savannah" and going there would absolutely be something I'd love to do....in fact maybe I can get his godmother to meet us there..... and so YES I have tried boiled peanuts and I actually like them LOLLL but my daughter is allergic so there's that. No peanuts for us. I totally forgot about Paula's but I think we are probably over her now.

Yup, I agree completely. Walking along the marina admiring the boats decorated for Christmases so nice. Also, last year they started having a Sunday hot chocolate made-to-order in the den. And for some real excitement, take out a puzzle from the front desk (they have a closet of games and puzzles for borrowing).
I also miss the private dining experience-we were never lucky enough to have it in our villa, but we had it at the Beach House.
A few things you'll miss in December-getting to make reservations for dining (most places aren't that busy), waiting for your table to be ready, lots of others joining your activity-the resort still has activities, but you might be one to one with the CM.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3110.jpeg
    IMG_3110.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 5
Yup, I agree completely. Walking along the marina admiring the boats decorated for Christmases so nice. Also, last year they started having a Sunday hot chocolate made-to-order in the den. And for some real excitement, take out a puzzle from the front desk (they have a closet of games and puzzles for borrowing).
I also miss the private dining experience-we were never lucky enough to have it in our villa, but we had it at the Beach House.
A few things you'll miss in December-getting to make reservations for dining (most places aren't that busy), waiting for your table to be ready, lots of others joining your activity-the resort still has activities, but you might be one to one with the CM.
We love visiting in Dec at DHHIR!

omg such amazing information thank you so much!!! What I am thinking of is taking a break from the parks and typically I am always searching for HOT and BEACH...but you have rekindled my memories of Southern Living and you may have convinced me to book.

Wildlife is something we are always very excited about. Dolphins, birds any of that would be great. I have a 10 yr old animal lover. Husband loves golf. So I could always set him up with a tee time and do something with my daughter. I wish there was still a kids club though as she loves making new friends and having her own time without parents.

We would definitely have a car. So (embarrassingly enough) although my son was born in St Marys and I spent years living in south GA I have never been "up to Savannah" and going there would absolutely be something I'd love to do....in fact maybe I can get his godmother to meet us there..... and so YES I have tried boiled peanuts and I actually like them LOLLL but my daughter is allergic so there's that. No peanuts for us. I totally forgot about Paula's but I think we are probably over her now.

Back in the 80ties we lived in Newport, RI. My DD's 5 year old new friend was named Mollie and they met when we were transferred there. A couple of years in, Mollie's family was transferred to St. Mary's, Ga area - Kingsbay, I believe the base was called. We got transferred to Washington, DC.

I drive back and forth to Disney, sometimes stopping at exit 3 or 1 for gas. Mollie and family always come to mind.
Mollie would be 45 or 46 now.

I think someone read all these great comments and beat me to it before my 7 month window opened! 😪 😪 It is looking like I will have to waitlist next week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter