HHN 2001--just got back

BMyers

Earning My Ears
Well, we just got back from our first HHN experience---Me (mom), plus four kids ranging in age from 12-16....two of my own and two friends. We went on Sunday, Oct. 21.

I thought that perhaps I'd post from a Novice's point of view......and from a MOM's...........

We had a great time, despite the fact that it drizzled the whole time. This, by the way, just kept the fog even thicker than normal!

I have to start by saying that if you don't know where you're going, you will never find everything. We got there at opening and left about 45 minutes before it closed and never saw the big Bill and Ted show........I mean, we never FOUND it. We had a pretty good time just stumbling around in the dark, but if you are one of those people who must see and do everything, get a park map and figure out where everything is before you go, because they don't give you a map or any info when you come through the gates.

The houses were pretty good---lots of good scares and surprises. The Mummy was well thought-out, I thought....beware the bridge collapsing--a lady behind us fell down. One member of our group went through all of the houses with her eyes shut, just clutching my daughter around her waist. In the Pitch Black, it is weird that at the end, it's not just dark, there seems to be an ABSENCE OF LIGHT or something--very disorienting and great!

The illusionist was short and sweet.......the walk up the steep stairs to get to the top of the auditorium and then down to your seats takes almost as long as the entire show.

The chain saw people were frightening when we first went in, but you kind of get used to them. The zombies were eery, but what really gets you is that while you are distracted by them, another one will pop out of a dark alley behind you scraping a trash can lid that makes an incredibly frightening sound. NOte that it IS true--if you RUN, they will chase you.

Terminator didn't open until 9:30. Twister had a 5 minute wait. Most of the houses were under a 10 minute wait time until around 9-9:30---but then, there was less than a half hour wait.

Parade was only 3-4 vehicles long. Smaller people beware those huge people next to you who will jump up and smack you in the face, knock you off your feet or rip the beads right out of your hands.... I'm not sure why we all wanted those beads so much!

Moms and Dads......note that there will be older teens who are just too cool to actually stand in lines and will try to cut around you, etc........ but for the most part, everyone was happy and friendly---and complete strangers will hang onto your shirt-tails when you are in a haunted house.

Note also that almost everywhere inside the houses are strobe lights-- and the floors on many are uneven.

One of the creepiest things about the whole thing was a glass coffin being pushed around.........with a live girl inside......along with about a dozen live rats. That really freaked out my girls!

We tried to stay away from Jack---he seemed just as mean and sarcastic as we'd heard, in a funny way. Well, funny, unless he was making fun of you, right?

Anyway, a good time was had by all. I was somewhat disappointed in the fact that hardly any of the daytime attractions were open---or if they were, we didn't see them. I sort of suspected this to be the case, since I called three different times and asked that question and was given different answers each time............but, all in all, we didn't miss them.

As for age appropriateness.......most of the people there were late teens to adults. Very few younger.

That's all for now!

Wow! Nice Trip Report, BMyers! :)

I'm surprised that they are not handing out park maps when you enter. I wonder if that has anything to do with the reported "moderations" that were done to the wording and advertising for the event...?

"Parade was only 3-4 vehicles long. Smaller people beware those huge people next to you who will jump up and smack you in the face, knock you off your feet or rip the beads right out of your hands.... I'm not sure why we all wanted those beads so much!"

Yes, I unfortunately noticed that last year too.... I saw a tiny little boy get a bead strand snatched from him by an unknowing adult jumper. Seriously, it becomes a bead-quest frenzy of sorts. I reached over to the boy and gave him the biggest/nicest string of beads I'd caught.

"Moms and Dads......note that there will be older teens who are just too cool to actually stand in lines and will try to cut around you, etc........"

Hmm... The scareactors took a better stance of directing the "cutters" to the end of the line last year. I'll see what 6'5" Hubby and I can do about that when we are there next week... I'll refrain from my "Back in MY day" speech.
:wink:

Thank you again for posting your trip report!!
:jester:

---and complete strangers will hang onto your shirt-tails when you are in a haunted house. LOL!

Thanks for the trip report!

They were giving out maps at the entrance when I was at the park on 10/19. Also all the HHN staff members with orange shirts have park maps they give out throughout the park. And just to let you know, Bill and Ted is shown at the stadium where you can see the Wild Wild West Stunt Show during the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter