• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hi, new here!

Jasmine13

Earning My Ears
Just want to introduce myself. I am Jasmine. I am a preschool teacher on the east coast, who loves Disney (yes, car #1), shopping, surfing the web, reading and watching TV. I am married, and childless. I can see from reading some of these posts that things can get a little heated, so it could be somewhat interesting.

.....but heated in a good way (mostly). And, yes, always interesting.

Welcome. Good to have another Car #1 passenger aboard ;).

But, you see ALL cars...

....love Disney :). Jasmine, you will learn that soon enough, if not already. For some it is tough love, or love/hate, or whatever ;).

Since you reference a car you might find this useful if you haven't already seen it - helps to keep the cars in context for some of the discussion (I think).

As posted by WFH.....

Basically, the Cars were intended to ideological place posters on the scale of 1. Today's business processes are able to produce products that people consider Magic with the same consistency as throughout Disney's past; 2. Today's business processes aren't producing products that people consider Magic with the same consistency as throughout Disney's past, but there is a personal belief that those processes will be changed soon to regain that consistency; 3. Today's business processes aren't producing products that people consider Magic with the same consistency as throughout Disney's past, and there is a personal belief that those processes are unlikely to soon change and regain that consistency; and 4. Today's business practices mirror non-Disney practices that never produced consistent Magic, and Six Flags is as likely to produce a product that people consider Magic as is Disney.

Still Car #1? I hope so :D.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Today's sign that the apocolypse is upon us:

If the cryogenic cranium's definitions are being used, then I have truly been seduced by the dark side, and will have to move out of car #1, just as Lord Baron has foreseen...

I was still using the basic premise of whether or not the Magic has already faded to determine my car. However, if the basic definition is how we view the ability of current mgmt to produce NEW Magic, or at least enhance the current Magic, well...

Hi Jasmine. I'm in Car No. 3 right now but I may just hop into Car No. 2 if I see some consistenly hopeful signs. I truly hope to return to Car No. 1 someday. :D

I will tell you one thing. Just about everyone that comes to this board truly loves Disney. Sometimes I think that they care more than just about any other group and this is why they care so much about what Disney does, even the little things.

At any rate, welcome and enjoy. :D

Today's sign that the apocolypse is upon us:

If the cryogenic cranium's definitions are being used, then I have truly been seduced by the dark side, and will have to move out of car #1, just as Lord Baron has foreseen...

LOL Matt :D.

BTW, I'd be more than happy to tell the frozen one to go for a short roll in a hot oven if his ideology regarding our vehicles has freezer burn ;). However, I got tired of hearing about 'subjective Magic' and an inability to communicate so I can work with his definitions for a while :cool:.

I was still using the basic premise of whether or not the Magic has already faded to determine my car.

Please do tell if his recollection of the intent of the cars that took to the highway over a year ago is off base. I still do like to consider the actual Magic itself and it's relative strength, and not just the 'decisions and directions' behind it. But roll with the punches I say :p.

However, if the basic definition is how we view the ability of current mgmt to produce NEW Magic, or at least enhance the current Magic, well...

STOP THE BUS! Now I thought the same at first when looking at WFH's defs, Maybe I am really in Car #..........:crazy: But don't give up on Car #1 - even under the chilly definitions of the Head. Todays Magic may have different components than yesteryear due to various adds and deletes, but people visiting today experience the same sheer Magic as those who visited in 1972. Some may not like the 'decisions and directions', but they continue to produce Magic today that is just as effective as the Magic of (insert favorite year).

Steadfast Car #1 DK over and out :bounce:.

I'm Miss Park Avenue and I love reading your debates. I agree with a little of everyone to a degee and am not yet willing to commit myself to one of your *cars* just yet. I first visited WDW in 1975 as a child and have gone back year after year until 1986. I didn't return until my parents became DVC members in 1999. Things are still wonderful there and I love every minute of my vacations. But, things change for various reasons, I'm sure you have discussed this at length. The expansions, the economy with it's ups and downs, the transportation system not keeping up with the explosion of resorts and attractions ( I think Walt would flip if he saw all those busses)!
Maybe I'm going to be assigned car 3 when I relate this story. On my last visit (May 2002) as I was standing in line with my husband and two girls I noticed something. My husband didn't, nor my girls. Maybe most people there didn't notice it but any old timer (old timer refering to anyone who visited in the 1970's or 80's) like me surely must have picked up on it. A CM was walking through the crowd pushing.......................A DUMPSTER!!! It horrified me! What happend to the MK being a stage! What part of *show* was this CM! Why wasn't he using the *tunnel system* that was to keep all that kind of stuff hidden? I think of that dumpster whenever I read Landbaron talk about the Mickey butter and things like that. What would Walt Disney do if he saw that dumpster rolling past all the guests in his park? ohmygoodness, what would landbaron think! It's those kinds of things that upset car 3ers because I LOVE WDW, it's where so many of my happy childhood memories came from and I want it to stay that way for my girls. I want to protect the integrity of Walt's dream for a truly magical place and when you see cuts being made, it hurts. Sometimes a little, like when you get a regular shaped pat of butter, or a lot like when I had to leave the Magic Kingdom with my little girl at 6 pm because the park was closing. It wasn't even dark yet! No light parade, no fireworks, no standing under the trees with the twinkleing lights to see the castle all lit up to look like it was sparkling and wonder how they did that. To me that was a big chunk of magic..........gone. My little girl didn't miss it, but I did.

I'm not sure if I'd put in any other posts as you guys do scare me a little. Pretty soon you will be finding a place for the *magic* on the periodic table! (Just a joke! I know, I'm not too funny.) But I'll be reading and enjoying them all. And welcome Jasmine. I'm new too and thanks for putting in a thread in the rumors and news where newbies can say hi too!

If the cryogenic cranium's definitions are being used, then I have truly been seduced by the dark side, and will have to move out of car #1
I can work with his definitions for a while
I was just trying to explain how different people got different ideas of what the Carpools meant, how it often seemed that we had two Cars full of people who never quite seemed to understand what the other one was talking about; we've been talking about different things.

We're all fans of the same team... I personally own season tickets, and attend as often as I can. When I'm at "the game," you'll likely not encouter a more avid or vocal fan.

But I believe that the game we watch on the field today is the result of years of hard work off the field, behind the scenes. And I sometimes think about the future of my favorite team. It's in that light that I'm concerned. I don't think the current coach has set up a good conditioning regimen, I think he's dismantled his own farm system, I think he cuts practice sessions because they're expensive and no one pays admission for them, and I think he wastes money on over-priced "free agents" that have largely (with the huge exception of that plucky new kid, Pixar) failed to produce the expected results.

I don't think his attitude or system of business values set a good example for his players.

It's true that you cannot accurately predict game-winners by simply grading the quality of their off-season conditioning program. But I believe that putting as much as possible into the components and the work ethic and dedication and focus off the field puts your team in the absolutely best possible position to win on the field, if winning was ever truly within the team's grasp.

Is it really necessary that voicing a concern over the company's focus be equated with turning to the Dark Side? Do you have to be evil to look beyond what each of us personally sees, at the moment?

Car #3 may be a wordy, over-analytical vehicle, but I don't think it's helpful to consider it the Hell waiting for you, should you "fall" out of Car #1's Heaven. No matter how many smilies are used.

-WFH

PS: Welcome, Jasmine13 and Miss Park Avenue. It does get a little heated... sometimes fire ends up being fought with fire. But little by little, I'm hopeful that we're moving towards a place where we better understand each other. It's a lot easier to "agree to disagree" when parties have the same notion of what, precisely, the topic is.

Mr. Headscicle- (respecting your smiley embargo)

I didn't really mean to equate car #3 with evil, I completely understand that just about everyone in car's 1-3 are Disney fans. It was just a lame attempt at humor and a Star Wars tie-in...

I actually like your baseball analogy quite a bit. I just don't see things as going as badly as you, but that's just a difference of opinion. I entirely accept the possibility that I am wrong, and things are worse than I thought.

One thing I absolutely agree with is this:

I don't think his attitude or system of business values set a good example for his players.

And it does appear this is getting worse. I'm pretty much willing to accept that AK has not met Disney's performance expectations. And I don't really see how anyone can argue that DCA has. Yet, I also find AK to be at least a closer approximation to what we expect from Disney. There is a foundation there that can be used. It seems that most of us agree that with a little better direction and properly focused investment, AK could be what most of us hope for from Disney. DCA, however, seems to be a complete mess. Where AK misses the target, DCA seems to not even be shooting in the right direction.

Its clear current mgmt does not seem able to strike a chord with the public when it comes to new parks, so maybe the extreme financial failure of DCA is the best thing that could have happened. If Euro Disney made them gun-shy, DCA should leave them cowering in the corner. Personally, if they are not prepared to create a "WOW" park, then I'd rather they did keep the guns in the holster until Disney gets somebody who CAN create a "WOW" park.

WFH:

Matt is referring, I believe, to me and Yoho!'s references to 'walking over to the Dark Side' -- i.e. Car #3. In actuality, we believe we *are* the true Jedi, but it is more fun to cackle than it is to say, "But, Uncle Owen..." in a whiny voice. ;)

Matt has slowly been recognizing his transformation. I just hope he hurries up and moves into Car 3 before LandBaron gets back so I don't have to split the commission on the transfer with Sir Baron.

Oh yeah, the baseball fan analogy may be the best one yet. And Sir Baron wasn't here to expound on it... :(

Matt has slowly been recognizing his transformation.

I must admit that when I first starting paying attention to this board about a year ago, I was quick to dismiss most negative comments as Disney bashing, and therefore didn't approach the discussions with as open a mind as I should have. That came from my experience with discussion on other Dis boards, which, shall we say, lacked substance. Example:

Poster A: They canceled EE! That's stupid! I used to ride 15 rides before 9am!

Raidermatt: Isn't it possible that there really weren't that many people who used EE, and it was just too expensive to maintain?

Poster A: What!?!?!? There were TONS of people at EE! They never asked me what I thought!!!!

Raidermatt: If there were tons of people at EE, how could you ride 15 rides before 9pm?

Poster A: You Disney apologist!!!! Disney will soon go out of business because they did something I don't like!!!!!!!!!!

and so on....

(disclaimer: this was not meant to prove that canceling EE was right or wrong, only to illustrate the depth (or lack thereof) of the discussion)

After posting here for awhile, I found out that the posters here really do understand what they are talking about, and for the most part, understand the reasoning behind certain decisions (some even have an insider's view). So I learned a lot, and take a much more analytical view of Disney's moves now.

I don't think my position has really changed much, and if we stick to the original literal definitions of the cars, I'm still a 1. But I do have a better understanding of what those dark clouds on the horizon mean. Unlike most 3's, I don't see the Magic as having faded much. However, unlike most 1's, I do see problems that could become pretty serious, and maybe accelerating.

I can definitely say that the discussions here have led me to be more interested in Disney's history and philosophies. Through these discussions, and through the reading I've been doing, I am now convinced I am the best person to lead Disney in the 21st century. ;) :D (sorry, Head, but I had to throw in a couple of smilies. Give the people what they want, right?);)

Yes Mr. Head sir, it is but a lowly Star Wars Joke.

And for the record. I'll NEVER Join you! WHAAAAAAAAAAA!

Nice to see somebody new here. It is always good to have different view ponits. Of course once your eyes are opened by the power of the force you will become a car#3 peson!!!!(lol) Dont like ME draw you into the dark side of excepting wdw cutbacks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter