Hilton Head Refurbishment

That's not the way I read it, they said that only soft things would change, no furniture.
But I hope you're right, and the article I read was hopefully wrong.
Unless they changed their minds at the ol' DVC think tank recently, the article is incorrect or misused the phrase "soft goods." The 1BR and studio in Bldg 30 they rehabbed definitely weren't just a soft goods trade out. 8-)

Wasn’t it due for a hard goods refurb? It wouldn’t make sense to wait this long for just a soft goods refurb.

Unless they changed their minds at the ol' DVC think tank recently, the article is incorrect or misused the phrase "soft goods." The 1BR and studio in Bldg 30 they rehabbed definitely weren't just a soft goods trade out. 8-)

Wasn’t it due for a hard goods refurb? It wouldn’t make sense to wait this long for just a soft goods refurb.
I'm so glad you guys mentioned this "soft goods" thing. When I read the article, I thought "Oh, I always thought it was a full renovation and they'd be upgrading those couches." Maybe they decided not to spend the money that a full renovation would cost at HHI, and the reason we're waiting is because the DVC think tank now has to go back to the thinking board to readjust what's being refurbished. I was told by the HHI front desk that things would start in June. Here it is, July, and people at the resort haven't seen any signs of refurbishment going on.

I'm so glad you guys mentioned this "soft goods" thing. When I read the article, I thought "Oh, I always thought it was a full renovation and they'd be upgrading those couches." Maybe they decided not to spend the money that a full renovation would cost at HHI, and the reason we're waiting is because the DVC think tank now has to go back to the thinking board to readjust what's being refurbished. I was told by the HHI front desk that things would start in June. Here it is, July, and people at the resort haven't seen any signs of refurbishment going on.
As Disney rarely gives up information or timetables, I suppose anything is possible. However, I do think the refurbishment will happen, and not a soft goods one--a real refurb. The units need it, badly. Continuing to sink money into replacing things (such as couches) makes less sense than going forward, especially given they've already committed money to hire designers, draft plans to redo the rooms, and actually refurbish those two rooms in Bldg 30. Perhaps they'll wind up waiting a bit later than originally mentioned (I figured they'd wait until after a Labor Day weekend) or even push it down the road another year (which is what I truly thought they'd do). Truly, one can only make stabs in the dark at what they're planning at this point. Still, I do believe a total refurbishment is coming (likely minus new ranges, refrigerators, washers, and dryers). . .just not sure when.

FWIW ... a couple of days ago I was looking at 2BR availability and there was *nothing* available in January. Usually you can get a Jan 2BR a month or two out ...

As of at least today availability is back... so ( I know this would be crazy) maybe a system glitch ... or they were messing with inventory to do refurb? ... who knows, will be nice when updates are done!

Yay! Part of me feels better about our scheduled trip in November, and possibly being able to reserve in April.
My only disappointment is that the article in Disney Files emphasized that it's a SOFT GOODS refurbishment. When we were there a year ago, the sofa in the living room was unusable. If DH tried to sit on it, he'd slide forward onto the floor. We didn't complain, figuring it would get replaced. It better not be there this year!
image.jpgFYI I just wanted to add that don’t read this as a “soft goods” refurb!

Vero is getting a soft goods refurb. HHI is doing a full refurb.
I hope that's the mistake I made. I do know that the article was on a different page, where they talked about a soft refurbishment being a refurbishment of whatever's "soft"-curtains, fabric things, vs. furniture, which is "hard". But I hope they were describing Vero and I was having a senior moment. As long as we have a new couch.

Obviously, that is an old stock photo. The topiary at the bottom left of the Live Oak Lodge hasn't looked like that for a few years. Nothing screams "current" quite like an out of date photo! pirate:

Obviously, that is an old stock photo. The topiary at the bottom left of the Live Oak Lodge hasn't looked like that for a few years. Nothing screams "current" quite like an out of date photo! pirate:
Honestly I feel like dvc is not fully committing to any HH remodel promises whether hard or soft in this article w/statements like “notes about planned villa refurbishments”…They tell us exactly what the other remodel plans are for the other resorts listed and we get no details at all for HH. Like they don’t even have an idea of what they are doing so there’s nothing to say.

Honestly I feel like dvc is not fully committing to any HH remodel promises whether hard or soft in this article w/statements like “notes about planned villa refurbishments”…They tell us exactly what the other remodel plans are for the other resorts listed and we get no details at all for HH. Like they don’t even have an idea of what they are doing so there’s nothing to say.
Good point. The language is vague which leads one to believe they truly don't know when the actual refurb of the rooms will begin. Again, I always found it odd they'd start in the middle of peak season; however, if that "beginning to refurb" meant the front desk area, then that makes more sense. They have started...just not with the rooms.

I know nobody actually knows ... but what are the odds that if we have a two-bedroom for April 2024 the refurb will be done? I don't want to visit until after the refurb (because this is our first and maybe only visit, we don't get out there often).

Boy, as the time gets closer I wonder more and more what we'll encounter refurbishment -wise in November. When we first made our reservations, I wondered if the refurbishment would be finished, then I wondered how far along it will be, now I'm starting to wonder if there'll be signs of it.

Boy, as the time gets closer I wonder more and more what we'll encounter refurbishment -wise in November. When we first made our reservations, I wondered if the refurbishment would be finished, then I wondered how far along it will be, now I'm starting to wonder if there'll be signs of it.
I agree! I think we are going to cancel our upcoming stay in a studio until it’s been fully renovated. We can’t do another trip with that couch/sofa bed.

I'll be heading to HHI August 5th so I can report back if I see any construction going on. I really hope these rooms get refurbed soon. The room I stayed in last summer was the worst looking room I've ever seen at a Disney hotel.

What I don't understand is that members pay dues to pay for these refurbs. It's not like DVD/DVC/DIS is paying for the renovations, it is the owners. No matter how you look at it, HHI is the resort that has not been touched in the longest time out of any resort - nearly 9 years ago. I agree the language is noncommittal at best in the recent Disney Files magazine. It makes you wonder a lot of things....

I’m not back until august 30th as we’re passing through. Hope to see some progress by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter