Holding Points

TinkerBellLiz

DIS Veteran
I moved our trip this morning from Monday arrival to...tomorrow. We had 6 nights in Riveria (1 bedroom preferred view) but tomorrow wasn’t available. Knowing points should have gone into holding, rather than lose them I was prepared to book a 2 bedroom at Copper Creek.

I was very surprised the points did NOT go into holding and became bankable. I wanted to share but as all things DVC and 2020, YMMV!

Liz

This has been in place since March and it is such a great thing,

Of course, we have no idea when it will end but given the uncertainty of 2020, it is a nice extra!

Thanks Sandi! I had read over all the DVC emails and I didn’t see it specifically mentioned as extended after reopening. We usually don’t move stuff around in the 30 day arrival time but we wanted to get this trip in before more tropical crap blew into either Orlando area or our area of the Gulf Coast!

Thanks Sandi! I had read over all the DVC emails and I didn’t see it specifically mentioned as extended after reopening. We usually don’t move stuff around in the 30 day arrival time but we wanted to get this trip in before more tropical crap blew into either Orlando area or our area of the Gulf Coast!

Your right. They did take it out of the documents...like they did the policy to return borrowed points.

Probably so they can stop at any time! Have fun!

Has anyone heard an update about this? We had to cancel a trip last night set for TODAY because my DH tested positive for Covid last night. Talk about lousy timing. I guess it would've been worse if we were sick after we flew there. :/ Kids and I are going to get tested today. :(

Has anyone heard an update about this? We had to cancel a trip last night set for TODAY because my DH tested positive for Covid last night. Talk about lousy timing. I guess it would've been worse if we were sick after we flew there. :/ Kids and I are going to get tested today. :(
Sorry to hear about your DH. (I think I remember that you have mentioned he is a health care worker. My sister is, too, and the extended family worries about her. Anyway, grateful for people like them who are working especially hard & long hours under difficult circumstances).

Hope your DH recovers quickly with no long term complications and that you & the kids continue to be negative.

AFAIK, they are still waiving the holding penalty. No one has reported differently.

Sorry to hear about your DH. (I think I remember that you have mentioned he is a health care worker. My sister is, too, and the extended family worries about her. Anyway, grateful for people like them who are working especially hard & long hours under difficult circumstances).

Hope your DH recovers quickly with no long term complications and that you & the kids continue to be negative.

AFAIK, they are still waiving the holding penalty. No one has reported differently.

Thanks. He’s an ER doctor. I didn’t have any issues cancelling last night less than 24 hours in advance since he has COVID, but I just wanted to be sure because I had to book a studio at Poly which isn’t my personal fave. :/ We were supposed to be staying at VGF which is my favorite. 😭

i had to cancel a room for a friend whose daughter tested positive. They were to check in the 19th. I canceled yesterday. No holding.

So sorry for the change of plans and hope things improve quickly.

i had to cancel a room for a friend whose daughter tested positive. They were to check in the 19th. I canceled yesterday. No holding.

So sorry for the change of plans and hope things improve quickly.
Sorry to hear about your friend‘s daughter. I hope she has a mild case.

Sorry to hear about your friend‘s daughter. I hope she has a mild case.

Yes. It is. The teenagers were not going on the trip but the adults were exposed and they were celebrating an anniversary too! I told them I owe them a few nights down the road!

Thanks. He’s an ER doctor. I didn’t have any issues cancelling last night less than 24 hours in advance since he has COVID, but I just wanted to be sure because I had to book a studio at Poly which isn’t my personal fave. :/ We were supposed to be staying at VGF which is my favorite. 😭
Sorry to hear your husband has covid. I hope you and the kids don't have/get it! I hope he has a mild case and quick recovery! Sorry about your trip!

Sorry to hear your husband has covid. I hope you and the kids don't have/get it! I hope he has a mild case and quick recovery! Sorry about your trip!

Thanks. He’s on the other side of it. Kids still have no symptoms but are now presumptive positive. I tested positive a few days ago and feel like I have a cold. Hopefully, this is the worst of it. Kids will have been out of school almost 2 weeks.

I cancelled a reservation for OKW for 1/29 - 2/3/21 yesterday. Points did not go into holding, although for me it doesn't matter as they were banked 2019 points that expire on 3/31/2021 anyway. Too bad.

I know DVC was reasonable with their rule changes when they were closed, but its a shame I ( and so many others) will lose points now that they are opened. It's just not possible for so many folks to travel their now, and even if possible, may not be a wise decision. Same with Disney's AP rules. Had I foreseen that we would be where we are early last summer, I would have taken the refund on the APs. I didn't and haven't been there in a year. APs were used for about 4 days -- pretty useless. Now, have to decide whether to renew or not, and wonder when they will return and have to pay the "non-renewal" price.

mac_tlc

I cancelled a reservation for OKW for 1/29 - 2/3/21 yesterday. Points did not go into holding, although for me it doesn't matter as they were banked 2019 points that expire on 3/31/2021 anyway. Too bad.

I know DVC was reasonable with their rule changes when they were closed, but its a shame I ( and so many others) will lose points now that they are opened. It's just not possible for so many folks to travel their now, and even if possible, may not be a wise decision. Same with Disney's AP rules. Had I foreseen that we would be where we are early last summer, I would have taken the refund on the APs. I didn't and haven't been there in a year. APs were used for about 4 days -- pretty useless. Now, have to decide whether to renew or not, and wonder when they will return and have to pay the "non-renewal" price.

mac_tlc

While there may be nothing you can do about the points, maybe contact the AP department to ask if you can now get a refund vs. the extension, and then buy a new voucher for use later since you would be eligible for having canceled a pass?

Ticketing is not part of DVC so they have some leeway in making exceptions for APs since your reason for taking the extension was the trip you now needed to cancel.

It is worth a try!

While there may be nothing you can do about the points, maybe contact the AP department to ask if you can now get a refund vs. the extension, and then buy a new voucher for use later since you would be eligible for having canceled a pass?

Ticketing is not part of DVC so they have some leeway in making exceptions for APs since your reason for taking the extension was the trip you now needed to cancel.

It is worth a try!
It might be worth a try, but AFAIK, Disney has not granted any exceptions like that. Deadline to request AP refunds was early in August of 2020.

mac_tlc

Same here. I took the extension. Never used it. Looks like it'll be the same for my family unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter