• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

holding your table when you're solo

katypop

DIS Veteran
last trip dd and i watched illuminations at epcot at a table right beside the water on the little patio beside rose and crown's patio. it was a perfect location. we got an ale at the little cart right in front and fish and chips from the little cart to the right of rose and crown. since there were two of us, my dd held the table while i lined up for food and drinks. if i'm lucky enough to get one of these tables again on my upcoming solo trip, how do i hold my table while i get another drink for instance or go to the washroom? do you think if i left a book at my spot, it would still be there when i got back? anybody have any experience with this or better ideas?
thanks!

kathe:D

No advice, but I'm betting if you leave a prime location in a public area, it won't be available when you get back.
Maybe you could share your table with someone else, or a couple? Aand they would hold your chair for you while you are gone?

I only saw Illuminations once on my solo trip and I parked myself in a less crowded area (near Morrocco) about 45 minutes prior to show time. Both times I watched Fantasmic I made a point of visiting the ladies room right before I found a seat. Wished I had something to eat both times, but didn't risk going off to find something.

Deb

No advice, but it is the one little negative about going solo. One time I remember I got to my table (counter-serve) only to realize I'd forgotten to get something at condiments. Well it was raining outside, and everyone had decided to take the opportunity to come in and eat lunch. People were standing all around waiting to grab your chair and/or table. Whatever it was I'd forgotten, I decided to try to manage without it. Didn't dare leave the table!

When I am eating solo at a buffet, I allways left my backpack on my seat. At that moment there isn't much important in the backpack. I didn't have any problem with holding the place for me. I think that the waitresses don't let sit anyone at your place.

In case of a very populair place, than it maybe another case. For that case I don't eat at a time and at a place while I sit down on a populair viewing spot. I think when you leave such a place others will take it. Sure if it is an outside place.
Compare this with the seating area in the middle for Fantasmic at Disneyland in Callifornia. If you really have to go to the restroom, forget it to get your place back.

Marcel.

What I do on my solo trips is get my food first and then find my bench to wait. I usually offer the free space on my bench to others. We get acquainted, then I feel free to ask them to watch my space if the need arises.

this is one of the "downsides" that i am worried about going solo. i would have no problem sharing my table with others so if i'm lucky enough to get a patio seat i'll just have to hope someone comes along and asks to share...and that they'll hold my seat if needed. maybe i'll take a little "reserved" sign with me to use if i need to...the worse that could happen is i'll lose my sign LOL:D

Hi Kathe......

Last October, I was at the Rose and Crown pub "SOLO". While I was there I did notice another solo person get up and leave there table. To be honest with you I thought they left. Next thing I noticed was seeing the table getting cleared off and another couple was seated. A few minutes later the person came back to see that the table was now taken by someone else.

My solution to this is very easy....the workers at the rose and crown pub are very nice....just inform them that you will be right back and they will not touch anything. Or order a drink or something and say that you will be right back. They will need to know or they will clear the table.

Hope this helps....

I always eat solo at our local malls, and I have now had 4 one week solo vacations at WDW.

Always - Always - Always - go to the bathroom JUST before you get seated; even if you don't have to go yet.

If you really have to go to the rest room before you are done with your meal, you should inform your server, that you will be right back.

I have gotten up to get condiments, but my table was always within my vision.

thanks rick and claudia,
actually, the patio i was describing is an area just to the left of the rose and crown patio , so there are no servers, you can just grab a seat if you're lucky. when dh, dd and i went 1st trip in 2000, we were lucky and got a patio seat at rc , perfect seat for illuminations. dd and i tried to do this in 2002 but could not get a patio seat...and they would not let us wait for one... so we noticed the tables on the patio next to rc and my dd held the table while i purchased dinner from the fish and chip cart. again, it was a perfect seat for illuminations...there were two people that came just before the show that asked if they could share our table for illuminations and we were happy to share our view. i would like to do this again, so will just have to take my chances. i had not thought to worry about losing my seat in a sit-down restaurant yet :eek: so thanks for the info...i will make sure my server know if i leave the table that i'll be back:rolleyes:

Hi Kathe...

I know exactly where you are talking about......I was just there last halloween. The patio to the left is where they sat me. The food was fantastic.....

Trust me....make reservations the minute you get to epcot so that you will have a table during the illuminations show.

-Enjoy

Kathe...
That is one of my favorite places for solo IllumiNations viewing. I've had very good luck making friends with the people at the next table over and they've always been happy to hold my spot if I needed to use the restrooms or get some food/drink.

I like to order a fruit & cheese plate from the bar in the pub as a meal/snack, grab a pint of Bass and read a book or chat with my neighbors as I wait for the show to begin.

Hey...if you let me know when your trip is, maybe we can meet and share a table. :D PM me if you are interested.

Depending on how long your belongings remain unattended, they may be turned in to Lost and Found (guest relations) or, in the case of an unattended bag or backpack, security may take a look. In any event, I would not even consider using books or bags to hold a spot because at best you will lose your seat, and at worst you will lose your things (or have to schlep to the front of the park to retrieve them)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter