Hollywood Studios… Rope Drop RoR or Slinky?

What to RD with EMH

• Total voters
How long would it be to get on Slinky if we lined up around 30 minutes before early entry for Slinky? I'm going to be doing early entry to Hollywood Studios this week. Last time I used this time for getting Tower of Terror and Rock and Roll out of the way with little lines early because we didn't get a Genie+ for Slinky until 11:30am (and paid for ROTR). This was frustrating waiting for the cool down to be able to get another Genie+. Does everyone prefer using the early entry time for slinky rather than TOT/RNRR?
last week, slinky was running with guests well before early open (which was 8:30am on that day, i think). i must have gotten to that line around 8:19 and still waited ~20 minutes. if you are at the top of rope drop you could theoretically be off slinky before early open. not sure i have seen this with any other attraction at any park - for example on our other DHS rope drop day, we were held in queues for ToT (and RnRC) until 8:30.

last week, slinky was running with guests well before early open (which was 8:30am on that day, i think). i must have gotten to that line around 8:19 and still waited ~20 minutes. if you are at the top of rope drop you could theoretically be off slinky before early open. not sure i have seen this with any other attraction at any park - for example on our other DHS rope drop day, we were held in queues for ToT (and RnRC) until 8:30.
Wow that's awesome. My fear was I'd be waiting to ride Slinky for 45+ after early entry and wasting time. I felt like getting a late Genie+ time for Slinky and not able to get another Genie+ for 2 hours after the park officially opened really diminished a lot of the value of Genie+ for me my past trip.

I would consider slinky dog though we rope dropped ROR and got through it relatively quick. Slinky Dog was actually not that bad of a wait time after we got of Rise all things considered. HS in general is a tough cookie to crack because like Epcot (though not as bad) the attractions are decently separated. A lot of it depends on what you want to accomplish. From what I could tell most people were splitting between the two. I would probably LL or ILL (cannot remember which it was on) Slinky and walk to ROR first thing. Sort of the same strategy at MK. We walked to SDMT and LL'd Peter Pan. Though MK in my opinion makes it easier to get more done in less time.

So if you head to ToT first thing, you are held to the official EE time of 8:30?

Wow that's awesome. My fear was I'd be waiting to ride Slinky for 45+ after early entry and wasting time. I felt like getting a late Genie+ time for Slinky and not able to get another Genie+ for 2 hours after the park officially opened really diminished a lot of the value of Genie+ for me my past trip.
I wondered about booking your 2nd LL two hours after official park opening and how that might be a disadvantage.

I wondered about booking your 2nd LL two hours after official park opening and how that might be a disadvantage.
Last time we went to Hollywood Studios we fortunately got a Genie+ for Rise but got a LL for Slinky that wasn't till 11:30am. Park opened at 9am so I couldn't pick the 2nd LL until 11am. Of course by that time, the most popular ride we hadn't done yet (Mickey) wasn't until 1:30pm. Kind of a vicious cycle because then we had to wait another 2 hours for the next LL. It's the only park where I stress about the Genie+ system!

With the help of everyone here I now have a great game plan! I'll pay for Rise, rope drop Slinky, and pickup the LL for Mickey to try to get the earliest LL time possible to be able to get that 2nd LL earlier and more often!

Last time we went to Hollywood Studios we fortunately got a Genie+ for Rise but got a LL for Slinky that wasn't till 11:30am. Park opened at 9am so I couldn't pick the 2nd LL until 11am. Of course by that time, the most popular ride we hadn't done yet (Mickey) wasn't until 1:30pm. Kind of a vicious cycle because then we had to wait another 2 hours for the next LL. It's the only park where I stress about the Genie+ system!

With the help of everyone here I now have a great game plan! I'll pay for Rise, rope drop Slinky, and pickup the LL for Mickey to try to get the earliest LL time possible to be able to get that 2nd LL earlier and more often!
I worry about rope dropping SDD for fear it will be down first thing in the morning. I will be getting an ILL for Rise.

The last several times with early entry we have used iLL for Rise and we rope drop slinky, head to smugglers run, back to Toy story mania, then off to Mickeys Run away railroad. We typically have been able to get Slinky, Smugglers, and toy story done before or at park open with a minimal wait at mickeys. We use Genie to hit everything else or double up on rides. Its worked well for us even when Rise was down one time.

Love this comment. The feeling of the parks at night, darkened skies, with park lights on, is really something special. Sorry, this doesn’t really have to do anything with the OP’s original question😂😂, but just stating how much we love the feeling of the parks at night.

I echo these ideas. Absolutely LOVE being in Galaxy's Edge late at night. We purchase ILL for ROTR, then head to an Oga's reservation that is ideally 15 minutes after park closing. Leaving Oga's about 45 minutes to an hour after park close is awesome. So, that means we are rope dropping Slinky.

Or.... (curve ball)... we love getting a Genie + reservation for Slinky just before our ROTR ILL. Slinky (and all of Toy Story) is best at night. In that case we are rope dropping Mickey and Minnie or Tower.

So if you head to ToT first thing, you are held to the official EE time of 8:30?
sample size of one, but yes, two queues were formed near the base of the tower, one for ToT and other for RnRC, and both were walked into the respective attractions at 8:30. preshows were skipped. like I said, we did both and still got on a reasonable line for rise right before official open.

my counter would be that early (pre 11am) genie+ LLs aren't that valuable for most of the other attractions because you can rope drop 2 or maybe 3 of them pretty easily. i would always spend my first genie+ on slinky - you're almost never going to luck into a short wait for that, plus it could be down at open, plus it's a short ride and worth riding twice if it works out.

IMO MMRR often goes down for brief periods throughout the day and you will constantly be walking past it at the center of the park anyway. if you see that it's down or that lines are short, maybe hop on the line or mill around a bit waiting for it to reopen. last week we hopped on this twice with waits under 20 minutes well after the early hours.

Was just there last weekend. I got to the park a half hour before early entry. Went straight to Rise when they opened and... was told that the ride was down (or not running yet). The cast member advised that they weren't sure when they'd be open and to go do something else.

So, I booked it over to Slinky. Waited about 20 minutes and by the time I got off, Rise was just opening so I waited 10 minutes to get on there. I got off Rise just as the park opened to everyone. Popped over to Smugglers Run, TSM, RnR and MMRR before lunch and was able to make a Genie+ for ToT post lunch (I had been stacking at Epcot and MK for later in the day). So, got to the park at 8ish, did Slinky, Rise, Smugglers Run, TSM, RnR, MMRR, ToT and have lunch at Sci-Fi and was gone by 1:30.

Basically, I think the real advantage to rope drop/the early half hour is not only is it a short wait but it can put you ahead of the rest of the crowd if you play it right. You're getting off things as others are getting into line. I caught a break with the Rise situation (though it didn't seem that way initially) but it seems that Rise being down or taking longer to wake up is more common than Slinky if that helps at all.

Basically, I think the real advantage to rope drop/the early half hour is not only is it a short wait but it can put you ahead of the rest of the crowd if you play it right. You're getting off things as others are getting into line. I caught a break with the Rise situation (though it didn't seem that way initially) but it seems that Rise being down or taking longer to wake up is more common than Slinky if that helps at all.
100%. you're not rope dropping one ride, but like 2-3, and then taking advantage of shorter waits at stuff like smugglers and TSMM. by 10:30 you should be exhausted from all the early hour hustling and a 40 minute wait somewhere should feel like a break, haha.

We RD'd Hollywood twice this past Aug - and on one occasion we were first in line at Slinky Dog - I was literally the first person in the park have pictures of no one but me in front of the chinese theatre, entering Toy Story land, so cool. Anyway, I was at the front and talking to the CMs while they were testing the ride and stuff. And asked this EXACT question - they all agreed, you rope drop Slinky. They said at least twice a week Rise is down at opening, has a "delayed opening". They said slinky does occasionally, but they said its probably 4 times more likely that Rise does. And worse, as they suggested, and in fact happened that day. If Slinky is going to have a delayed opening they usually call it pretty early, were as Rise will wait until 2 minutes before its supposed to start. One of the CMs at Slinky that morning said they had been normally at Rise - said at Rise they all joked about how often the ride would be down. There was some comment he made like an inside joke saying they said about how bad Rise was for it, I can't remember now. But yea - we had a good like 15 min chat about it. My son (6) then got walked on to the ride by the Cast Members as the first ride of the morning, leading the huge line of people behind us, they stopped and let him pick where he wanted to sit on the first passenger coaster of the day - it was all that disney magic :)

We RD'd Hollywood twice this past Aug - and on one occasion we were first in line at Slinky Dog - I was literally the first person in the park have pictures of no one but me in front of the chinese theatre, entering Toy Story land, so cool. Anyway, I was at the front and talking to the CMs while they were testing the ride and stuff. And asked this EXACT question - they all agreed, you rope drop Slinky. They said at least twice a week Rise is down at opening, has a "delayed opening". They said slinky does occasionally, but they said its probably 4 times more likely that Rise does. And worse, as they suggested, and in fact happened that day. If Slinky is going to have a delayed opening they usually call it pretty early, were as Rise will wait until 2 minutes before its supposed to start. One of the CMs at Slinky that morning said they had been normally at Rise - said at Rise they all joked about how often the ride would be down. There was some comment he made like an inside joke saying they said about how bad Rise was for it, I can't remember now. But yea - we had a good like 15 min chat about it. My son (6) then got walked on to the ride by the Cast Members as the first ride of the morning, leading the huge line of people behind us, they stopped and let him pick where he wanted to sit on the first passenger coaster of the day - it was all that disney magic :)
Just curious - did they let you on Slinky before the official start of ETPE?

Just curious - did they let you on Slinky before the official start of ETPE?
Nope - I mean, I think they walked us in 1 minute early or something. But we stood there for quite a while we watched a single cast member ride the ride after the vehicles were all run a couple times without anyone on them. We got through the turnstiles at 7:29am for an 8am ETPE

Attachments

• 20230823_073349.jpg
    20230823_073349.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 5
This past Wednesday the line for ToT started moving at 8:22. RnRC was down at the opening, so perhaps the line was getting too long down Sunset Blvd and that's why it started before 8:30?

My experience was i rope dropped ROTR but it was down so i kept walking to SDD. Was in almost immediately, just a couple of trains, then headed back to ROTR and it was open. Line moved almost constantly. I tried playing the game in the app, but i couldn’t because the line moved too much

My strategy when using LL and ILL at HS is...
Book Slinky LL first, then Rise ILL
Make sure you are at the entrance to HS 30 minutes before EE starts.

Tower, RNRC, Railway
or
Railway, Toy, Falcon, Saucers

If riding Slinky or Rise twice is important then I start with one of those two first during EE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter