hollywood studios- first time in forever!

daisy 'n donald

Mouseketeer
hello!
we are going back to wdw in august, as we do for the last few years or so. however, we usually just do mk and epcot. but our girls, 11 and 9, have been asking to do one of the other parks, so we're thinking we'll do hollywood studios. we are not star wars people at all, even though i do understand that even as not star wars fans, the whole area is pretty darn impressive. dh and i haven't been to hollywood studios in at least 10 years or so, dd1 was about to be 2 and i was pregnant with dd2. so, i know a lot has changed since then. the hat is gone, great movie ride is gone, there's a whole new toy story land...
what else is different there in the last decade or so? we can make a full day of it, right? the girls aren't big thrill ride kids, so we probably won't do tower of terror or rock n roller coaster....
also trying to figure out if at 9 and 11 will my kids be the oldest kids at the hollywood and vine breakfast? i need to feel them out if they even want to meet those characters even though they don't watch those shows anymore. it's doc, fancy nancy, vampirina and someone else?
just trying to figure out if we should stick with our 3 mk and 2 epcot days, or drop a mk day to do hollywood studios.
thanks!

I think it will be easy for you to find a lot to do at DHS that your entire family will enjoy:
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
- Muppet Vision 3-D
- Frozen Sing-along
- Indiana Jones show
- Beauty and the Beast Show
- Fantasmic!

And, in spite of 'not being star wars fans' you could still thoroughly enjoy all 3 Star Wars attractions! (I would put myself in your category but still go on all 3 each trip)
- Rise of the Resistance
- Millenium Falcon Smugglers Run
- Star Tours

Not sure about the character meal. for our family, it would not have been worth the cost of that dining experience when my DD was the same age as your girls. I'd save the money and do a different dining experience or, invest in G+ for the day which would be very beneficial at DHS.

I am clueless about Star Wars but still looking forward to visiting HS and trying the new rides 😀

Maybe the H&V lunch or dinner might be better as it’s the ‘classic’ characters, Mickey Minnie & co rather than the disney Jnr ones 🙂

But, as above, it’s a lot of money if you’re not sure they’ll enjoy it so maybe do genie + instead… HS is the one park I intend to get genie+ for.

We love HS!! Even if you aren't interested in Star Wars, all of Toy Story Land will be new to you, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, and probably some of the shows. I'd say go for it!

Last time, we ate at Round Up Rodeo BBQ, which might be a good "in-between" choice for your kids - not a character meal, but still playful. (Every so often, someone comes over the loudspeaker and yell's "Andy's coming" and everyone freezes.) It's also family style - so the benefits of a buffet without the germ factor.

They would probably like the Frozen sing along and the Beauty and the Beast musical (they're both so good).
Toy Story land, even if they only ride Toy Story Mania, Woody's Lunchbox would be fun for lunch - poptarts, grilled cheese, totchos, we love it. Sci Fi might be a fun lunch too.
They'd probably like Mickey and Minnie's runaway RR. Without riding slinky dog, Rockin Rollercoaster and TOT, I still think you can find things to fill most of a day. If it's a shorter day, enjoy Disney Springs or the hotel pool!

I think it will be easy for you to find a lot to do at DHS that your entire family will enjoy:
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
- Muppet Vision 3-D
- Frozen Sing-along
- Indiana Jones show
- Beauty and the Beast Show
- Fantasmic!

And, in spite of 'not being star wars fans' you could still thoroughly enjoy all 3 Star Wars attractions! (I would put myself in your category but still go on all 3 each trip)
- Rise of the Resistance
- Millenium Falcon Smugglers Run
- Star Tours

Not sure about the character meal. for our family, it would not have been worth the cost of that dining experience when my DD was the same age as your girls. I'd save the money and do a different dining experience or, invest in G+ for the day which would be very beneficial at DHS.
awesome thanks! dd9 loves beauty and the beast. last year we did the enchanted tales with belle for the first time and she loved it. dh and i only ever did the indiana jones show whenever we would go. i think the girls would love the sing a long too. and i know dh and i love toy story mania....

thanks so much for your insight!

When they weren't into rides, it was a 1/2 day park for us. Now, we like the thrills and go several mornings a trip. And btw, we LOVE the Frozen sing a long. It's generally a good laugh.

one more question! do they still do temporary tattoos there? when dh and i would go before kids (over a decade ago) we would always get a temporary tattoo, always at a cart outside of muppet vision....is there still a place to get temp tattoos there? it was the only park we could get one. it would be fun to do it with the girls this time....

If your girls want to try another park, do it!

You mentioned no thrill rides, but at those ages I think they would still enjoy:
Toy Story Midway Mania
Alien Swirling Saucers
Frozen Sing a long (don't skip this, it's really good!)
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
Muppetvision 3D
Rise of the Resistance (for a taste of Star Wars, it's pretty cool and not too wild. I'm not a Star Wars fan and I enjoy it)
Beauty and the Beast live on stage

I would do Hollywood and Vine for lunch or dinner instead. You're never too old for the classic characters, whereas kids that age definitely might feel too old for Disney Jr characters. Sci Fi drive in is also really fun if you can get a reservation there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter