Hoop Dee Doo Day Question

Rigby

Mouseketeer
We'll be going to our first Hoop Dee Doo for a 6:15 show and we have no other plans that day. We've never been so would you recommend going early to visit Wilderness Lodge? Is it easy to get from the resort to where the show is? I'll be with my son who will be 5 and my in-laws so I'd want to keep them entertained but a long walk probably wouldn't be great. Thanks for any advice! :yay:

Definitely worth a visit, but I would emphasize the fort over the lodge with a 5 year old. You need to take a boat from the lodge to the fort. Right near Hoop-de-do is a playground, stables with a pony ride, and there is also a bike rental option, though 5 may be a bit young for the bikes they offer. You can consider a wagon ride after the show, too!

Just to reinforce what @Mainemama mentioned above, HDD is located at Fort Wilderness which is a different (but nearby) resort that Wilderness Lodge. Also agree with her suggestion that after you explore Wilderness Lodge you could spend some time exploring the Fort Wilderness area before being seated.

Oh, and there's no reason to queue up at the entrance to HDD. All the seats are preassigned and everybody will get seated in about 5 minutes so just hang back rather than being part of the rush.

Hoop De Doo is at Ft. Wilderness, not Wilderness Lodge, so you can't walk from the Lodge to the show. As PP mentioned, you would have to take a boat. I would recommend going to Ft. Wilderness early. The stables that hold all of WDW's horses is right next door to the theater and if your DS is small enough, he can take a pony ride. There is also a playground right next door and a really nice gift shop.

Actually you can walk from the Wilderness Lodge to Ft Wilderness on a paved walkway but its a rather long walk for the OP considering having a 5 year old and in-laws with her. We did it last September - well, 1 walked and I was using an ECV since I had a fractured foot. Our plan was to take a boat back to the lodge after dinner but were told the smaller boat that goes to Wilderness Lodge could not have the ECV on it, so we walked/ECV'd back to Wilderness Lodge in a very dark night and there is very little light along the path. I will say we saw a number of deer in one area as we headed back and thought they were Disney deer ie animatronic but they were very real and we were able to get some neat pictures with one of our cameras.

There is also a bus between WL and FW. The lodge is very nice and worth a visit, the fort is also worth spending time to explore.

Hoop De Doo is at Ft. Wilderness, not Wilderness Lodge, so you can't walk from the Lodge to the show. As PP mentioned, you would have to take a boat. I would recommend going to Ft. Wilderness early. The stables that hold all of WDW's horses is right next door to the theater and if your DS is small enough, he can take a pony ride. There is also a playground right next door and a really nice gift shop.

Thanks so much everyone! Is the pony ride something I should book in advance? We're staying at OKW and planning on taking an uber. We'd like to see as much of the place as possible so would you all recommend going to the Lodge first and then boating to the show?

Thanks so much everyone! Is the pony ride something I should book in advance? We're staying at OKW and planning on taking an uber. We'd like to see as much of the place as possible so would you all recommend going to the Lodge first and then boating to the show?

Unless you just want to see what it looks like, I'd say No. All of the things the above posts list are basically right at the show. Look at it this way; The Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness are 2 separate resorts. All of the things the people mentioned are at Ft. Wilderness resort, where the Hoop de Doo show is.

I agree with PP. Folks here are recommending that you explore Fort Wilderness not Wilderness Lodge. 2 different places. You seem focused on Wilderness Lodge, so you could Uber there and look at the Lobby and pool and then go on to Fort Wilderness by boat. But like the others I wouldn't bother to do that.
If you Uber to Fort Wilderness you will have to take an internal bus from the front Outpost where Uber has to drop you off, back to Pioneer Hall. Make sure to leave plenty of time for this. We always choose to go to the MK by bus and then take the boat to Fort Wilderness, It is a pretty, relaxing ride, and Pioneer Hall is right near the boat dock.
Good Luck

On our HDD day (we went to the early show) we spent the morning at Disney Springs. Then we took a bus to FW then the internal bus back to Pioneer Hall.

We explored the fort a bit. (Actually spent a long time looking for the lawnmower tree which was a childhood of mine. Found out it's gone.)

Saw the show (we LOVED it).

Then we took the boat to WL because I wanted to see it. It's my dream resort.

Afterwards we took the boat to the Poly to share more childhood memories.

if you end up taking uber straight to Fort Wilderness be aware that you will need to take a bus to other end of the fort as there is no car parking or drop off near Hoop and that includes taxi/uber. you will have to take bus back to other end to get your uber back to your resort. as of last time we rode the ponies no ressie needed but be prepared to walk with your child and the pony. plus there is a park type playground near Hoop for 5 year old to run before show

If you are going to Uber over, I would take it to Wilderness Lodge first. Look around the resort, it is beautiful! Then take the boat to Fort Wilderness. The boat takes you right where you need to be for the show. There is a gift shop, playground, "beach area" with chairs, the stables, and the show. By boating over, you avoid having to take the internal bus.

To ride the ponies, your child has to be under 48 inches tall and 80 pounds.

We also enjoyed watching the blacksmith there. He was making and fitting shoes for one of Cinderella's horses!

Totally agree with mickeymom22.
Enjoy the show... my DS, now a college grad saw the show as a toddler , with his grandparents and it's one of our fondest Disney memories.
We ve seen it many times since and Still enjoy it greatly!
Here's to your family making some
Magical Disney Memories that last s lifetime!

If u are going anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, then I would definitely take the cab/car to WL. Actually, if you have never been to WL, I would recommend it. It would be a fun adventure to go to WL, then take the boat to FW, ride ponies, play in the play area, see HDD, then a wagon ride--a great day!

If u are going anytime between Thanksgiving and Christmas, then I would definitely take the cab/car to WL. Actually, if you have never been to WL, I would recommend it. It would be a fun adventure to go to WL, then take the boat to FW, ride ponies, play in the play area, see HDD, then a wagon ride--a great day!

Thanks so much everybody! This sounds like the way we'll go. Anything else you guys recommend seeing over there? Is a wagon ride something you would book in advance?

Thanks so much everybody! This sounds like the way we'll go. Anything else you guys recommend seeing over there? Is a wagon ride something you would book in advance?

You will be there for the Holiday Season? If so, I would check out WIlderness Lodge if you have time, then head over to FW for the show. After the show, go to book the wagon Ride. I do not think you can book this in advance, you just need to be in line. It is a lot of fun, and takes your through FW to see all of the decorated campsites. We did this with our DGD, who was 11 at the time. We had so much fun!

If you are going to Uber over, I would take it to Wilderness Lodge first. Look around the resort, it is beautiful! Then take the boat to Fort Wilderness. The boat takes you right where you need to be for the show. There is a gift shop, playground, "beach area" with chairs, the stables, and the show. By boating over, you avoid having to take the internal bus.

I agree with this! If you have never been to WL, then I think it is worth visiting. My hubby was in awe walking through it. He wants to stay there now!

We'll be going to our first Hoop Dee Doo for a 6:15 show and we have no other plans that day. We've never been so would you recommend going early to visit Wilderness Lodge? Is it easy to get from the resort to where the show is? I'll be with my son who will be 5 and my in-laws so I'd want to keep them entertained but a long walk probably wouldn't be great. Thanks for any advice! :yay:

Although somewhat close they are different resorts, I would not hassle with a small person doing both. you might go to the fort wilderness campfire after the show

Unless you just want to see what it looks like, I'd say No. All of the things the above posts list are basically right at the show. Look at it this way; The Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness are 2 separate resorts. All of the things the people mentioned are at Ft. Wilderness resort, where the Hoop de Doo show is.

..and u can have a boat snafu
.one not show up in time and be late to the show. Wilderness lodge is beautiful but nothing really to make an effort with a small one to take in on an already busy night. Plan to just enjoy Fort Wilderness and save WL for another time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter