Horse Book Series

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Since I adore horses a lot I LOVE reading horse books and I started liking horse books when I got into The Saddle Club book series and found the series fun and excellent and then I started collecting the Thoroughbred book series and have almost the entire set and so I would like to ask if anyone read horse books as a young girl possibly because you were horse crazy too like me? What were your favorite horse books as a young girl?

My DH and I love and watch Heartland on Netflix, and the show is based off a book series called Heartland. If you haven’t watched this series or read the books, you should check it out.

Heartland is an awesome show! DD15 has watched every episode! I think it's based on books.

I was not horse crazy though I do like them. I am a huge reader and saw The Saddle Club in the bookstore and thought it looked interesting so read that series and also the one where they were in high school.

Gotta give it up for the OG of Horse books "The Black Stallion" series.
If you can find it I also loved The Heavenly Horse From The Outermost West.

I was a horse lovin' kid who is now a professional. Riding instructor, barn owner.

I read the entire Black Stallion series multiple times as a kid. I also adored just about anything by Jean Slaughter Doty (Summer Pony, Winter Pony, If Wishes were Horses and The Valley of the Ponies come to mind immediately) and most of the books by Marguerite Henry, especially those about Thoroughbreds.

Interesting thread, thankyou.
My daughter is 14 and horse mad, and will only read horse books given a choice!
I will pass on these suggestions!

Not much into horses but I saw a couple episodes of Heartland years ago that I enjoyed. I will have to check out online episodes sometime. As an adult. I still enjoy rereading Linda Chapman's My Secret Unicorn Series. I would definitely recommend these books to kids and young at heart, engaging and well-written stories.

Gotta give it up for the OG of Horse books "The Black Stallion" series.
Agreed.

I was in Vienna this past November and met a woman from California who had traveled there specifically to visit the riding school having read The Perfect Horse by Elizabeth Betts as a young woman. While I did order the book, I've not had a change to read it yet. I do look forward to getting to it.

Mine were books by Marguerite Henry -- Misty of Chincoteague, Stormy Misty's Foal, Sea Star, King of the Wind, etc.
Same here!
I got the books for my kids and both boys and girl enjoyed it.
We took them to camp on Assateague Island on spring vacation. So much fun with the ponies wandering around the campsites and beach!

I loved reading Marguerite Henry's horse series especially Misty of Chincoteague. Also the Black Stallion series, Man Of War, Seabiscuit, The Magnificent Barb. Oldies but goodie are Golden Prize and All Horses Go To Heaven, both are short stories about horses, not sure if they are available anymore. There was also a book series, think it may have been Trixie Beldon, that incorporated horses into their solving mysteries. Black Beauty was my all time favorite. I read anything about a horse that I could get my hands on.

Another Marguerite Henry lover here! Misty of Chincoteague was the first title I thought of plus all rest of her books as mentioned by a couple posters above.

Same here!
I got the books for my kids and both boys and girl enjoyed it.
We took them to camp on Assateague Island on spring vacation. So much fun with the ponies wandering around the campsites and beach!

I hope to do that sometime soon, I'm glad you enjoyed! My great aunt had a trailer in Chincoteague when I was a kid and I would sometimes stay there in the summer with my mom (which probably triggered my interest in Misty). But I haven't been camping at Assateague. I think my kids would love it.

Both of the series you listed were my favorites. I read most of the Black Stallion books too. Black Beauty. And some oldies but goodies: Last Junior Year and Year of the Horse.

I love the Misty book series and I have almost every one of them and they are so wonderful and Disney also did a movie version of Justin Morgan Had A Horse as well. Another horse book series that I really like is a series called Golden Filly which was first launched in 1990 that is a Christian horse book series by a lady named Lauraine Snelling and it tells about a girl who wants to be a top jockey when her father is diagnosed with cancer. The Golden Filly series is currently out of print but they now put all the series in two books and they are great. Another series is High Hurdles which is written by the same author as well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter