Hotels To Stay Away From?

phippszone

Earning My Ears
Could you please tell me what moderate prices hotels to stay away from? I've heard some horror stories and am scared to book sight unseen. Thanks.

The hotels you can reserve through this site have been inspected/approved by the person running this board. Anything under $50/ night is suspect. Obvious that excludes deals through Priceline, employee discounts or other deep discounts you may be entitled to.

I would stay away from the Days inn maingate. We had booked it several years ago and it was so dirty and run down and from the posts on this site it doesn't sound like it has improved in the following years. We also stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott by the airport and it was awful. We loved staying at the Courtyard Downtown Disney. Some posters have said they have gotten great priceline deals there.

The Best Inn on 192 (although I understand that it isn't even a Best Inn anymore because it doesn't meet their quality standards.) We got this place thru Priceline, and I should have been wary bidding on a 2*, but I got carried away and we ended up here. We had the biggest cockroach in our room - I was so freaked out. I know there are bugs in Florida and I'm no princess, I've killed many a bug in my life, but this sucker was almost as big as my hand. We ended up checking out early and when I told the manager why he didn't even flinch. Stay away from this place at all costs!

I totally agree on that one!! I could go on and on about that place!! Dirty, run down, loud! Ughh!!

Kristy-

August 1989-Ramada-Honeymoon
August 1992-Swan-International Down Syndrome Conference
February 1997-Wilson World (now Diplomat Resort)-Family vacation
September 2000-Days Suites-Family Vacation
**May 2002--HIFS--Family vacation

I stayed at the Days Inn on I-Drive near the world's biggest McDonald's. I paid way too much for the place -- $65! It was kind of rundown and the room smelled! I vowed never to set foot in it again.

guy.gif

Barry Hom
Moderator, Universal and Sea World Boards

Click HERE for interesting Universal Orlando information!

I hear just about all Days inns in Orlando are pretty bad. We made the mistake of taking a too good to be true price for a room at the Days Inn Florida Mall. We wanted to add a couple of days on to our vacation...what a mistake. The place was terrible, the courtyard, stairways, and elevators stunk to high heaven. The area itself seemed seedy and run down. A definite place to avoid! :mad:

Christmas 1979
July 1989 offsite
July 1996 Offsite
August 1999 Offsite
March 2000 Offsite (Fairfield Cypress Palms - new owners)
Feb 2001 - All Star Sports

The first time we went we stayed at Days Suites next to Old Town. It was not very nice and definitly not worth the money. Never again. We bought a time-share that trip at Orange Lake and it's great. Part of what convinced us to buy the time-share was the problems staying at Days Suites.
Friends of mine stayed at Comfort Suites and said it was nice.

Stay away from Econolodge Maingate Hawaiian! It's a D-U-M-P.

tink08.gif

Judie B

Looking into the Holiday Inn Maingate for a stay in October. Anyone have any comments? We have never been to WDW. I have been reading that there are some good deals at the ALL STAR, however not at the times we will be going. The Holiday Inn reports it has free shuttle and kids under 12 eat free. Is this worth something? I think we will probably rent a car.

My no go vote is for the Silverleaf Suites near Universal Studios.

I got placed here after the Delta Orlando had "overbooked" and asked if I'd mind staying at Silverleaf. The pitch was that it was a full unit with kitchen. Much better than just a hotel room.

Well, the first unit I got smelled awful. I describe it as a combo of pee and vomit. A lamp in the living room had no bulb. The sheets were dirty, filth on the bathroom floor. I had to sleep (or try to) with the windows open ... on a freezing February night. My room was also on the ground floor so I worried that someone might break in during the night. To top it off, it sounded like the kids next door were being abused.

I couldn't change rooms until the next morning because there was no one at the front desk after 10pm (I had gone to Universal for the day). The next unit was a bit better but I couldn't wait to go home.

We stayed there in March. I thought it was very nice and clean. The 2 pools were very clean and large. It was nice having a micorwave and frig in each room. The 2 room suites looked nice, but we just had a regular room. We did not use the shuttle service nor did we eat there. I would definitly recommend it. :cool:

We stayed there several years ago and found it to be very nice. Actually, we originally were booked in the Days Inn next door and it was so terrible we left after looking at the room and grounds and went directly to the Holiday Inn Maingate East. The rooms were clean and the staff very nice. Last year we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Downtown Disney and loved it. Several threads have said that people are getting priceline bids there for as low as $29 per night. I am not sure what * they bid.

The only hotel that I really had a problem with so far was the Delta Orlando. Stayed there last December and it was awful!!

AGELBUTT.gif

fairy22.gif

<font size=4 color=violet>~Christine~</font>
<font size=2 color=violet>Mickeys_sunshine@yahoo.com</font>

TinkTink: can you give me any additional info on the Econolodge Hawaiin Resort?

We stayed at the knights in about 10 years ago and it was seedy, but acceptable. A freinds college aged son stayed there two weeks ago and he said that he was disgusted with the place. It sounded like everything was the same as when we stayed there last time!

The All Star Jazz,was our nighrmare! It wins the Award for "Creepiest Bathroom in Orlando" there are MEN all over the wall paper,but one had an evil eye that watched you do all your business in the bathroom!!! Gave me goosebumps!!:( :( :(

We stayed at two on our vacation - one in Buffalo the night before our flight to Orlando - and one on St. Pete's beach. Neither was exactly dirty or smelly - they just weren't, you know - nice. The double beds were an interesting size - kind of like wide twins, and really short. The matress quality was poor - saggy in the middle. My husband got them for free because he uses them on business travel (he said the ones he's encountered have all been hotel rather than motel style, and nicer) so I can't complain - for free - sure. If they were really gross I'd have switched at least the one in St. Pete and paid. We didn't try the ones in Orlando, but we spotted at least one around Disney (192 area, maybe?) and it looked alot like the other two. I wouldn't want to pay to stay in one - unless it meant the difference between going on vacation and not going. I should note - my kids however loved the Travelodge in St. Petes. They had Nintendo, and we got the Sleepy Bear Den room - with kid thememd comforters, drapes and lamp shades etc. The preferred it to PO-RS. Oh well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter