How about a short report? 4day land 3 day cruise, 1/27

tschorer

Earning My Ears
I was skeptical, ok? No vacation could be worth .53 cents a minute..yeah, I figured it out, from the time we took off until the time we landed back home...53 cents a minute.
Disney is simply THE best tour/cruise operator ever, and why others don't even TRY to emulate them is beyond me.
My wife, my daughter (4) and myself flew from boston to orlando at 7am on the 27th. Disney meets you at the terminal and puts you on a bus, baggage handled for you...all transfers are EXTREMELY efficient. We were at the magic kingdom by 1:00. Small crowds, we hit most of fantasy land Sun afternoon.
Monday back to MK, getting crowded by 11:00 so we went to MGM for lunch (sci fi drive-in, fun!) . Most parks are almost empty. walked on to tower of terror and Rockin roller coaster...did both rides in 15 minutes. Great parade, then over to epcot for parade. (three parks, one day, with a four year old!).
Tuesday wednesday...we did at least two/three parks a day. my four year old went on every ride available...T-mountain, test-track. tower or terror, dinosaur...most rides we could simply go right back on...or on things like thunder mountain..just stay on the ride! Parades and fireworks it was easy to walk up five mins before the show and sit curbside.
Thursday we opted to depart for the ship from animal kingdom, this is a no brainer and disney cruise reps are at the park to check your carry-ons. TIP! PACK A DRY CHANGE OF CLOTHES IF YOU INTEND TO RIDE THE RAPIDS(which you should, it's an excellent ride!) Riding the bus in wet clothes is no fun. Transfre to, and boarding of, the ship is incredibly quick.
The boat(wonder) is simply beautiful, cabins are downright spacious and beautifully appointed. I found the three main dining rooms to each be excellent. dining staff is excellent, food on deck is plentiful and quite good I thought.
Let me rave for a moment about the Oceaneers club. If your youngster is in daycare/preschool, by the time you get to the ship they NEED to be with other kids. Far from a place to "stick" your child while you sneak off, Oceaneers is a place your child WANTS to go to, the "curriculum" is entertaining and imaginative, and the staff incredibly helpful and attentive, my daughter simply loved it and attended several functions each day/night.
Others have reviewed the shows, excellent.
MY GRIPE, here it is, NASSAU is a TERRIBLE cruise destination. DISNEY!, SKIP NASSAU and spend TWO DAYS at castaway! Filthy town, filthy stores...here's a hint, when the biggest attraction on your island is a HOTEL something's wrong. Cruisers, do yourselves a favor and stay on the ship. I've been in several cruise ports in my life and Nassau is FAR and AWAY the worst!
Castaway was immaculate and fun for all, the day could/should be longer since the trip to canaveral is short and SLOW.
Debarcation is the best I've encountered, at the airport by nine, but Disney put us on a 2:30 flight...if your flight is similar(and you have early meal seating), CALL YOUR AIRLINE from the ship the night before and book yourself on a flight as early as 10:30...do not do as I did and wait until you're at the airport...Standby will never work when you have hundreds at the airport early for flights.
All in all an excellent vacation, even for 53 cents a minute!

I loved your review tschorer.
question: I am doing a 4 day land/ 3 day sea also april/02. when you went to animal kingdom how long where you able to enjoy the park before the bus arrived. And where you able to arrive at the port in time to make res for palo or the spa?
thanks, for your reply.

aside from the longwinded reply that I sent you directly, I didn't really answer your question.
We went to a character breakfast at Animal Kingdom that morning, so were were in the park at 8 for breakfast, the rides still didn't open until nine. Disney tells you to be at their counter at the gate at 12:15(if I recall), two buses departed promptly(as promised) at 12:45. buses from wilderness lodge were leaving one hour earlier...this would preclude going to any other park on Thurs.
We did not go to Palo or the spa, but I seem to recall a DCL rep telling us we could make Palo reservations while at our resort.

Great report!!!

I totally agree with everything you said! Disney knows how to do everything right. We cruised with our family this past Dec. after a terrible cruising experience years back on RCCL.

Disney has completely converted us and we will be heading back this summer on a 7 day!

I agree mostly with the Nassau point you raised. Luckily we had been there before, knew better and never left the ship. We really enjoyed all the amenities when the ship emptied out (with the exception of the on-board shops being closed).

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

:jester: hi loved your report,we are going on the 4 night wonder cruise 2nd june, we,re really excited as we,ve never been to America or Disney before,was a bit dissapointed to hear about Nassau we we,re thinking of visiting the Atlantis resort on paradise island,can you recomend this?we also stop at Freeport any info?

Nice report!

"traceycooper" - You might want to visit the atlantis.com website if you haven't yet. I'd say it is "as advertised," but it IS probably the only worthwhile attraction in Nassau.

As for Castaway Cay: It seems DCL's take on that is "Always leave them wanting more." It keeps us coming back!

hi,thanks for the reply,I,ve noticed on some emails they say you have to pay extra to use the water slides at Atlantis,any idea how much? some said around $200 but i think that included hiring a room for the day which we dont want to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter