How bad is it really?

Jenny412

Mouseketeer
Before I start I have no issues with wearing a mask. We went to Universal last year and were required to wear them. YET I’ve been hearing stories all over social media that Disney has gone overboard. Employees walking around yelling at kids if there mask is too low, not being able to take a sip of water while waiting outside in a hot line, not being able to remove them in restaurants until your food comes etc. People are making it seem that it is just miserable to go there at this time. That employees are extremely rude and the magic is completely gone. I’m overthinking and contemplating changing my plans and going to Universal instead. Once again this isn’t about having to wear a mask. This is about the overall atmosphere. We are suppose to be going this June.

Well...your first return visit will be Different ....
You will be asked & reminded a Park Pass is required for date of entry by parking lot attendant . The resort busses also different loading pattern....
Then your car will be guided into every other parking slot so it can also be socially distant (until later in day when they start to fill in parking)
and No Trams so long walk in sunshine possibly.
Then stand in line for temp check and then security... and then castmembers holding reminder signs throughout the parks... and the long lines that weave and loop creating congestion for every type of attraction and food ...It feels like more castmembers but not better service overall . Don’t mean to be critical just a shock to your senses about how different it is now!
But it is still fun and I think a visit is still worthwhile.

I did not experience ANY rudeness from CM in November. My daughter's (4y/o) mask fell off while she was in her stroller and we were in line for SDD. We didn't notice until we got to the point in the line where the stroller has to be parked and the CM at the line entrance pointed out that she needed to be wearing a mask. He was not rude in any way, just said "she needs be wearing a mask in the park, do you need one?" (We had extras in our park bag). If you think it is over the top to continue wearing your mask in a restaurant until you have been served a drink or food, then either don't eat TS or don't go to Disney. The rules are the rules and they are for the health and safety of everyone.

Regarding eating and drinking in lines, this is a slightly more complicated matter because the enforcement of the rule seems to have changed overtime. In Nov we were able to take sips of water and even pop a piece of popcorn into our masked mouths while we were in the extended part of a line out in the open air. As soon as we passed through the actual line entrance (where a CM sits), then you were not supposed to eat anymore, but quick sips of water still seemed to be okay. They may be enforcing the rule a little more strictly now, re: food - but I think sips of water have always been okay. Quick sips without fully ripping your mask off. And then the mask goes immediately back into place. Again, if this sounds onerous to you, my only suggestion can be that you don't go to Disney.
We had a fantastic trip last fall and are going back in April fully expecting to wear our masks at all times except when eating and drinking in a stationary place.

Been going almost once a week since reopening and out of all the cm I’ve seen, only had 2 rude experiences.

If you’re outside in line, you can lift up your mask and take a sip. Dehydration is a serious thing. Disney doesn’t want anyone passing out in queue. If we know we’ll be in a long line, we visit restrooms first and hydrate before getting in the queue.

Disney is taking the mask issue seriously. Plan on wearing a mask most of your park day. Visit relaxation stations if you need to take it off. Or grab a snack or drink and step out of the way to eat your snack or drink.

It’s not that bad if you are not opposed to mask wearing. Yes, you have to wear your mask all day and wear it properly. Yes, if you aren’t wearing your mask properly a cast member will politely remind you to wear your mask. As for sips of water in lines, if you do what the previous poster said and quickly slip your mask down sip and put it right back up you should be fine. If you drink before getting in line there’s probably not a need to take that many sips in line anyway.

Last edited:
We did not find anything bad about our Thanksgiving trip at all!

It was a bit different but magical, fun and special. Masks are a part of our daily lives at home if we go out and about and it felt normal/right/expected to wear them at Disney.

Compliance with mask and other safety protocols was generally very good and cast members were lovely! We did not witness CM rudeness and when correcting guest behavior the two times we saw it, they were polite and professional. While compliance was good for the most part I would’ve love to see a bit more correction to address a few people.
We gently reminding people to keep 6 feet distance in lines and they were not rude for the most part either. It was usually just absentminded vs intentional disregard.

We loved the magical cavalcades versus long parade waits. We didn’t mind waiting to eat or drink until we were seated - it made us stop and smell the roses more. Wait times are generally exaggerated in the app. And while we missed fastpass as long as we continued to rope drop which we already did on past trips we made the most of our ride plans.

Sometimes crowds and restaurants felt uncomfortable for those of us not ready for bigger crowds and unmasked situations, so we altered plans as we went. Which was true pre-pandemic, flexibility is key.

If the concept of wearing a mask at this stage of the pandemic is not considered normal or reasonable or one isn’t really used to it or on board with this or other safety measures - then I would anticipate they might have a different experience from us and not find it as fun/magical and not perhaps have comfort and acceptance with the safety protocols.

Last edited:

I did see one CM having a “discussion” with a gentleman on his scooter and his companion. The man was drinking a Starbucks shake thing with his mask off on his scooter while rolling around. The Cm asked him to please remain stationary and the companion argued that the scooter passenger was seated so that counted.

I didn’t see the outcome but the interaction was not very positive at the moment I witnessed it.

I had my mask off on the ferry with zero other people around (we were literally the only ones on the entire ferry, I had it on one ear to put sunscreen on) and the CM just said “gonna need that mask up on your face please” and that was all.

My DH and I were in Epcot on 1/1/21. Did not see any cast member tell anyone to put on a mask, rudely or otherwise. Only saw one family in line for Frozen eating and drinking unmasked. I thought people complied with the mandate. If wearing a mask allows me to attend Disney Parks, so be it.

I think the perceived rudeness from cast members is more likely people who don't like being told what to do....being told what to do because they are breaking Disney's rules.

This! The level of rudeness and entitlement (not to mention absolute ignorance) I’ve seen from way too many people who supposedly love Disney has been astounding). This board is pretty good but some of the Facebook forums have completely disgusted me.

Nothing bad about it. I have been three times since reopening and will be back again in May. Why? Because I still get that happy feeling when I walk down Main Street, when I see characters, when I fly down the hill on Big Thunder. I love this place! The same Disney service and attention to detail, the same music and happy waves, the same Disney that makes me feel like skipping and grinning. Nope, nothing bad about it.

We have been twice since the reopening and enjoyed our visits. I can’t recall a single “rude” CM, and only a few times when CMs needed to ask visitors to mask.

I agree that those who suggest the visit is awful because of mask protocols are most likely entering the parks with a negative attitude with regard to proper masking.

In 15 days at the parks we have not been involved in one incident of rude CM behavior; 1) because we follow protocols and 2) the CMs are well trained to encourage mask wearing.

Before I start I have no issues with wearing a mask. We went to Universal last year and were required to wear them. YET I’ve been hearing stories all over social media that Disney has gone overboard. Employees walking around yelling at kids if there mask is too low, not being able to take a sip of water while waiting outside in a hot line, not being able to remove them in restaurants until your food comes etc. People are making it seem that it is just miserable to go there at this time. That employees are extremely rude and the magic is completely gone. I’m overthinking and contemplating changing my plans and going to Universal instead. Once again this isn’t about having to wear a mask. This is about the overall atmosphere. We are suppose to be going this June.

I don't think anyone knows what the parks will be like in June. You sound like you are leaning towards Universal so maybe that's where you would be happier. As a former CM, the people who say CM's are rude are the people who do not want to abide by the rules, and don't realize what a turbulent time this is for CM's who have been displaced to completely different roles and locations.

We went during record heat in August - masks were not a big deal. Just bring extras - they can be pretty irritating if they get wet. CMs in the parks were fantastic.

Biggest issue we faced was the buses. You just couldn't count on them to get you anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes yes, but more often the capacity restrictions would leave you at the curb. It seemed like there were fewer buses too. So limit the buses to 5-6 parties, send them every 45 minutes instead of 15-20 - yeah, it's tough to get around. Add to that, the bus drivers are hearing the grumbling and they aren't the cheeriest of people either - sometimes downright rude, definitely not what you would expect at WDW. It's been 7 months since we went but I have not heard that it has improved much.

Employees walking around yelling at kids if there mask is too low

That employees are extremely rude and the magic is completely gone.
This is so subjective. I'm sure you have heard this complaint. I'm just as sure cast members are not yelling at kids if their mask is low. Many parents hate it when another person corrects their kids in anyway so they will see a reminder as yelling. CM's are trying to maintain safety standards under difficult circumstances. I saw CM's remind parents. I saw CM's remind kids. Always cheerfully and respectfully.

I'm sure there are some rude cast members. What a difficult job they have. Not an excuse; but to say that employees are extremely rude is really an overstatement. I know you have heard this but in my experience it's very rare - not the norm. I saw more rude employees at Universal in one day than at WDW in six.

Some of the magic is gone. A lot of the magic is gone. It's a strange time we are going through. But in my experience, not completely gone. I saw and experienced plenty of "pixie dust" during my trip.
People are making it seem that it is just miserable to go there at this time.
I'll tell you I felt quite embarrassed when I walked away a table at Epcot without putting my mask on and a CM "yelled" at me from across the way. She was polite and professional and "yelled" with a big smile. If I were a more sensitive person I may have felt she was rude - but it was me who forgot. Yes I felt embarrassed - but it wasn't the CM being extremely rude. We all react differently, don't we?

I, too, have read from people who found their trip miserable. I found my trip wonderful. Things have changed at The World but I was prepared for it.

It depends on your personality if you will have a miserable time or a wonderful time.

I think the perceived rudeness from cast members is more likely people who don't like being told what to do....being told what to do because they are breaking Disney's rules.

100% this. Masks are required at Disney. Disney takes this very seriously. Any guest who isnt interested in wearing a mask should definitely avoid Disney property right now. I agree with the statement above.

I just returned (3/3) from my first pandemic disney trip. I had better service and better cast member experiences than ever before - perhaps perceived due to finally being in the magic again, but Ill take it! I did not witness any uncomfortable mask situations. In fact, I felt that other guests were better behaved than I recall from previous trips. It was magical!

At restaurants, we chose to keep our mask on while not actively eating/drinking and make an effort to re-cover when a server came by. We werent specifically asked to do so, and as an observation I did not notice that other tables were masked while seated. We arrived a few days after the big fuss over the policy change. It was not a big deal in practice.

As for eating/drinking in line - its never been allowed. You have always been asked to throw away open containers (drinks/food) when entering the ride queue. As before, if you require a quick sip of water no one is going to be concerned. Be mindful of your mask-free time when in proximity to others and quickly re-cover. I promise its going to be okay!

Happy to answer any other specific questions while this is still fresh in my memory!

We were there last week. We enjoyed AK and HS. MK was a crazy mess. Epcot (our favorite park) was boring. We ended up leaving a day early. We did not use our last park ticket and had one more night at the hotel. We could not deal with the rude people. Bus/ skyliner lines were very long. So aspects of social distancing were great. Others not so great. We did not feel any of the Disney Magic. We have decided not to go back until things get back to a new normal. We missed the entertainment, characters, and food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter