How did you decide on your career?

My mother decided my career choice, which did not allow me to pursue my passion. I was good at what I did, but never enjoyed it.

I didn’t want to go to college because I didn’t have a specific career in mind. Mom said I had to take business and accounting courses in high school or go to college, so I took the business courses and never looked back.

What was/is your passion?
From the time I was a little girl, I wanted to be a veterinarian. When the time came to plan for college, my mother told me there was no money for college, women did not do that job, and I was not smart enough. She was a big fan of Perry Mason and told me I should be a legal secretary. She found an advertisement in the paper for a legal secretary trainee and told me to apply. I got the job and the rest is history.

I had no idea what I wanted to do when I graduated college with a degree in English. I majored in English/Writing because I loved it and was good at it.

I thought perhaps I'd go to law school, so I got a job as a paralegal and did that for six years. Towards the end of that job I realized that I loved hearing my friend talk about her job as a high school English teacher, and I thought "Why don't I do that?"

I worked all day and went to school at night for my master's in education and my certification to teach secondary English. I taught for six years before our DD20 came into our lives. I left teaching then and never went back.

Teaching is so different now than it was in the 90's/early 2000's. I'm not sure I would do it again now.

Discovered it my first semester Freshman year of College and changed my career path.

My DW was a VP of Finance at a mortgage company and was on the last leg in getting her Master's in business when she took a Psychology course and that changed everything. She ended up changing her path and went on to get her doctorate in Psychology.

I pretty much always wanted to work with children so went to college to get a teaching degree.

What's your career, Buzz? :)

I learned about my career when I was sixteen, went to my guidance counselor and said this is what I want to do, and he helped me navigate the path for choosing one of the few colleges offering a program. I stayed in that career for about 20 years and recently changed. During my first career, I went back to school for a graduate degree in something that was slightly related and interested me, and I eventually decided to make the leap from one career to the other.

I worked for a while, but decided it as more important to raise my kids. Once they were older and in elementary school I went back to work part time, and then eventually went back full time as they got older.
I decided on my career because it gave me flexibility in the beginning, and the ability to move up. And it was the career of my great grandfather, his brothers, my grandfather, his cousins, my father, uncle and my brothers. It was what I knew, I was good at it and it was good to my family.

I didn't decide. I fell into it and stayed with it.
This. During an 8-year employment hiatus when our DS was little, I got the rare opportunity to try my "dream job". It turned out to be wrong for me, so in hindsight, I guess things have worked out the way they were meant to.

I started in the auto business in 2005, I could never leave, even if I wanted to. I just kind of took a job to make money and was stuck there.

I grew up in a small town, but in a family where college wasn't an option - my sister and I were going. Opportunities were limited and when I first went to college, I knew nursing or teaching was a safe bet, as my hometown had a hospital and schools. I felt intimidated by working with a classroom full of kids, so nursing it was.

I spent on semester in the nursing track and thought "no". I was petrified of what to do next, but randomly thought "I love math. I'll major in Accounting".

Also little did I know, I wouldn't return to my hometown after college either. I've been happily working as a staff accountant in a manufacturing facility for 20-ish years now and it works!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter