How do they close all the beaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is whether all the people here who think that "No Swimming" still allows for "wading" will think that "Beach Closed" means that they can't lay a towel down on the sand, but they can still go in the water. After all, the beach is the sand and not the water. So the literalists will need better warnings, right?

Sorry someone putting their feet in the water is Totally different then "swimming".

I hope they don't get rid of the beaches or fence off the beaches. I don't think it will look as nice. Is this the first incidenct like this at WDW from what - 1971 - when it opened? I think they should change the signs to say caution - alligators - no swimming.

I don't agree. Put a sign that says "stay out of the water". No swimming, means no swimming. Does not mean "don't put your feet in the water" totally different.

I don't agree. Put a sign that says "stay out of the water". No swimming, means no swimming. Does not mean "don't put your feet in the water" totally different.

So I can wade into the water neck deep but as long as I don't swim I'm okay? Or I can just sit on my butt in the water? That's fine? As long as I don't swim? Where were we supposed to draw the line?

That's why to me no swimming means stay out of the water. Not literally do not swim.

To break with the arguing...I wonder what CBR is going to do with the Island Playground/Cut through. Be a bit of a hike if that gets permanently closed.

Or since there has only been one attack in 45 years, maybe a little perspective could be helpful. I'm certain some adjustments will be made...

So I can wade into the water neck deep but as long as I don't swim I'm okay? Or I can just sit on my butt in the water? That's fine? As long as I don't swim? Where were we supposed to draw the line?

That's why to me no swimming means stay out of the water. Not literally do not swim.
"No Swimming" to me means they do not want you going into the water and doing freestyle, breast stroke, backstroke, etc or going deep enough where you can tread water. The signs need to say "Do Not Enter Water- alligators reside in these waters" with a picture of a gator. That makes it clear.

To break with the arguing...I wonder what CBR is going to do with the Island Playground/Cut through. Be a bit of a hike if that gets permanently closed.

You know when we stayed and the kids were young and wanted to go play. I was kinda creeped out by the area, the brush, the water and found myself on high alert for critters. Once was enough, it was not at all relaxing to me.

I think the most visually appealing way to keep people from the water is to put some nice big rocks along the edge of the beach as a natural barrier. Also add a sign that says please keep out of the water and off the rocks. There you go.

Here is the contemporary that currently has a section with the rocks. You see it on the left of the picture by the Garden rooms. Just do this to all the resorts.
contemp1.png

I would never ever touch water in florida - more for that flesh eating bacteria that sometimes makes the news. That grossed me out and scared me more than ever thinking about gators. Though one time at POFQ we saw one, small though...

Grassing the area over wouldn't keep people out of the water. Heck people still jump into World Showcase Lagoon when they are drunk and it is hot or on NYE. That thing has a fence all the way around it.

If they it up properly built it up it would. The sand slopes down to the water. Build a retaining wall, and level out that area, then grass it over. It would still be cosmetically appealing waterfront, but would make the water inaccessible.

Hi

It's tragedy that we should be discussing this at all and maybe we've all got a bit complacent and less aware than we should be regarding the wildlife around FL. The guy videoing the gator above came close to being bitten in my view.

It's difficult to know what Disney can do there are risks in most things we do and we have to watch out for ourselves most of the time.

For example the Dutch are a cleaver bunch they've worked out that you don't need railings or any barrier around the canals in Amsterdam as they work on the principal that if you're wet you're on the wrong side.

amsterdam-1381268_960_720.jpg

Regards

Paul

My question is whether all the people here who think that "No Swimming" still allows for "wading" will think that "Beach Closed" means that they can't lay a towel down on the sand, but they can still go in the water. After all, the beach is the sand and not the water. So the literalists will need better warnings, right?

So, if you see a 'no running sign', do you interpret that to mean 'no walking' as well. Or, are you taking the more 'literal' meaning where running means your legs move very fast. After all, running and walking are infinitely more similar in body motion than swimming and wading are.

I am going to write about a different occurrence which presents similar issues. Mirror Lake is a small lake on the campus of Ohio State University. I attended the University during graduate and medical school. There are stone bleachers around the lake on one side, and years ago, before the university was so large, graduation ceremonies were held around the lake. I liked to sit on the bleachers and study while I was a student there. The lake itself was spring fed, and originally was the water source for drinking water for Ohio State, before the city of Columbus struck the source of the spring in 1891. The area is truly beautiful, and they have maintained the area every since Ohio State was founded in 1870, actually originally built around this spring on farmland. People have occasionally jumped into the lake, even though it is generally understood that the lake isn't really intended as a swimming pool, since about 1969 or so. I graduated in 1988 from medical school, and about 1990, the jumping into the lake became more organized as an event the Friday before the Ohio State-Michigan game. To make a long story short, this past November, one participant in the Ohio State-Michigan lake jump died after suffering a broken neck and drowning. So, now, the university, of course, is not permitting that even in the future (of course), and some rumors were that they considered filling in the lake, which millions of people have enjoyed over nearly the past 150 years. All because one drunken freshman, who was probably not even of legal age to consume alcohol jumped in at midnight and broke his neck and drowned. Pity. That's all I can say.

I really hope that doesn't get closed. But, I don't think they consider that a beach, so I doubt it will be closed, anyway.

So, if you see a 'no running sign', do you interpret that to mean 'no walking' as well. Or, are you taking the more 'literal' meaning where running means your legs move very fast. After all, running and walking are infinitely more similar in body motion than swimming and wading are.
If I saw a sign that said don't walk on grass I would assume that also meant run, skip, jump, saunter, crawl, roll, tumble sault, cartwheel, etc etc. do I feel horrible for this family - absolutely. Do I think the beaches need to be closed, no. My guess is the signs will change a bit, but there is always someone who will say but it didn't say not to do x.

I think the new signs are much better.

Whether or not you think "No Swimming" applies to wading, I think that a "DANGER: ALLIGATORS" sign would be enough to keep most reasonable people not only out of the water, but away from it entirely. With that additional information, a lot of families are going to make different choices about walking/playing along the shoreline, getting water for sand castles, etc.

You can't really do anything about the unreasonable people. Idiots will always find a way to be idiots.

Hmmm well if you cannot go on the sand, how do they get to the water? ?? I think "beach closed" should work

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter