• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How hot is it on the ship in Alaska?

Clarkson U

DIS Veteran
How hot will it get on different parts of the
Wonder in Alaska?

Headed out early May and not sure if we will want any shorts for the ship (assuming likely a bit chilly still outside). The thinking is DCL will run heat inside the ship and that it may get hot at times.

Thanks!

Really depends on the outside temperatuur. We had a great start last year, leaving Vancouver with tempartures in the high 80s/low 90s. On the top deck forward, behind the glass, it was absolutely perfect. Sunshine and no wind. This was the first cruise of the season, mid May.

I didn't feel the ship was particularly hot or cold. It was comfortable.
But it will depend what you are used to. 75 degree weather feels different to someone in Florida from someone in Alaska.

Normal weather in Alaska in May is 55-70 degrees. But as you can see, you can have very warm weather. Or you can get unlucky and it can drop below 50.
Just check the weather the days before you leave and make sure you have layers.

We went in August 2016. Most of the cruise was misty/rainy, 50s/60s for temps. Vancouver was low 70s. Only day we needed shorts was debarkation day. We felt comfortable in jeans and short sleeve shirts inside the ship. While it was heated, it wasn't to the point of needing shorts inside. You'll just need to check weather before you leave, and bring a little of everything for clothing... could be hot and sunny, or more 'typical' cool and rainy weather. Despite the cool weather, WE still went in the heated pool. Lol, that's really where the temps you're used to will show...which people are bundled up outside and which are in the pool.

I didn’t ever feel like it was uncomfortable inside - we wore long pants, t shirts, and hoodies/fleeces for most of our trip (June). Never really felt like I was overdressed - sometimes took off my warmest layer inside, but often still felt comfortable with that (except when leaving Vancouver, if spending any significant time outside, I wanted a jacket and maybe hat/gloves as well).

We froze on deck in June. The ship inside felt like it was a normal temperature though. (Maybe they'll have it warmer in May?)
Been twice to Alaska on HAL and caught heat waves both times. But I have never been on a cruise ship where it was too warm inside, most people feel they keep the inside on the cool side.

Been twice to Alaska on HAL and caught heat waves both times. But I have never been on a cruise ship where it was too warm inside, most people feel they keep the inside on the cool side.
True - I was definitely more concerned with having layers to stay warm than being too warm.

I would say the inside of the ship was weather appropriate. Warm enough to make you feel comfortable about being out in the cold, but not so hot that you wanted to change clothes as soon as you got inside.

I did not need nor want shorts on an end of May DCL AK cruise. I don’t think I have ever needed shorts on any AK cruise from early May to early Sep. T-shirts, yes, outside.

Inside all cruise ships, I am cool, sometimes cold, year round.

I was taught to always pack a swimsuit - just in case. Since you asked, I would recommend you throw in a pair of shorts - just in case. It’s easier to add layers.

Last edited:
We went in early June 2016.

We typically wore shorts and tees or jeans and tees onboard (inside). If we went out on the deck, we may have needed a jumper. On the coldest day (the glacier viewing day), we were wearing our "big" jackets.

On the excursions, we also typically wore shorts and tees or jeans and tees, sometimes a jumper or jacket.

We found the weather to be surprisingly warm. Warm enough to enjoy the pool.

We're from a hot and humid climate, so expected to feel the cold much more than we did.

The ship will not be hot and you will not need shorts. I've done several cold weather cruises and found the ship to be more on the chilly side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter