How I Survived 11 Days at WDW with a Disney-Resistant Husband **2/20 THE END **

I have to confess that I have never been particularly enamored with the Poly. But you are making a very compelling case! :rolleyes1

Thank you for the history lesson on the Lapu. Would you believe I still haven't tried one of those? :eek: Have to fix that on one of my trips this year!

You all look so cute in your Hawaiian shirts! Love those pictures.

So sorry your last night didn't turn out as planned. :hug:

Oh, and the evening started out so perfect too! Getting to see that torch lighter, errrr, I mean lighting ;) (he was easy on the eyes wasn't he?) followed by one of my favorite drinks, the lapu lapu! I'm one of the few people out there who is not a fan of Ohana, but it sounded like you all really enjoyed your meal until Declan's accident. That's too bad that everything went downhill from there. With that night being the last experience of your trip, I can see why you were hesitant to write your report at first :hug: You did have some other wonderful family memories during the trip to hang onto though!

Aww Trish. So sorry. As I read this post I knew all along what was coming because I remember you mentioning this experience in your PTR right after you returned. (Pretty amazing I remembered. Must have made quite an impression:laughing:) The thing I've learned in my Disney trips (and you probably already know this too from your report) is that the best moments are usually the ones we don't bother to plan (like your night at SAB.) Just let the Magic happen. That doesn't keep us from planning though does it;) Still a total bummer that your last night was a bit of a bust.:hug:

Oh no Trish...what a sad way to end your final night :guilty:

I'll always remember walking out of MK on the last day of our 2008 trip. It was to be our final day of a magical trip. We were to drive a few hours that afternoon so my plan was to stay through the afternoon parade but it was raining and my DH was grouchy. We were also celebrating Patrick's birthday and he wasn't enjoying himself either. When we got to the monorail, I tried explaining to DH the process of getting to ride with the driver but in his crabbiness, he didn't want the hassle of folding the stroller so we just got on and I cried the whole way to the car. (and of course, now we'll never have that chance again :sad1:)

Thanks for sharing all of the good, the bad and the ugly with us, I think most of us have those same types of moments but feel like it's un-Disney like to talk about :hug:

Awww i'm sorry to hear that your last night in the world ended up being such a disappointment, especially when you were looking so forward to it.

Hopefully breakfast the next day was good to make up for it:goodvibes

Hello! I have been enjoying your great TR. Thank you for sharing your experiences in such great detail!

I wanted to suggest that you consider Disney Cruise Line. I don't have children, but I have sailed twice with DCL (7 day and 14 day trips) and I have another trip coming up in August. Reading that you and your kids love the magic of Disney but you DH hates the lines and crowds, I think you will find DCL to be a great compromise. You get all of the magic (wonderful kids clubs, tons of characters interactions, fireworks!) and quality (fabulous CMs, beautiful ship and entertainment) that you expect from Disney. Perhaps you don't enjoy sailing, or the idea of cruise ships and I can understand that. My DH and I never cruised before we sailed with DCL (and won't sail with anyone else!) but we just fell in love with it.

So here are .2 cents from a stranger :goodvibes Thank you for sharing your experiences.

You know, I found a solution that has worked well regarding a stick-in-the-mud, sour puss DH...back in the beginning of our marriage more than 13 years ago he would often put a damper on my best laid plans and cast a sad shadow on our excitement whether it was WDW or simply running to the park for an evening...lots of "I'm too tired" or mumbled commentary that would ruin the mood. Or complain how hot it is the whole time I push our daughter on the swings...really?

I grew tired of this after a couple years and watching my kids faces fall and not understanding why he could not fully appreciate the great life and healthy children he was given...I decided to stop including him. I literally gave him an ultimatim and said that until he could figure out how to participate with us and enjoy spending time- we would be doing it without him. I refuse to make detailed plans or ANY plans and let them be ruined by attitude.

He quickly came around after about a year of seeing that I am serious. He was and is always welcome to do these things with us, but not with crabbiness- he is a good father and a good provider, but sometimes it seems men think they have to be harsh and serious in order to BE men. Sometimes it seems they cannot come out of themselves and teach by example to their children the lesson that life is to be enjoyed as a family because none of us are promised tomorrow.

Now we have a true agreement to pay attention to what the other wants..I try not to overplan to perfection to be happy and he gets time to himself especially when he has indulged us in riding Winnie the Pooh 4 times with a smile!

Sorry for the huge rant- I am sure your DH is perfectly nice and hardworking, as is my DH, but I can see we share a few of the same frustrations...

Loving your TR!

Aww...I am sorry your last night did not turned out as planned. I love your matching outfits - they look perfect for your last dinner at Ohanas. Poor Declan, getting clocked in the eye like that. Yikes! I'm glad he was OK. Sheesh!

Well - you know what you need, right? A do-over night at the Poly watching Wishes all together. :thumbsup2

I'm sorry your plans for Wishes didn't work out, but it sounds like you made the best of it. At least the rest of your night was good except for poor Declan's mishap, glad he was OK afterwards. I would love to try O'Hana someday, maybe on my next trip.

Oh Trish. :hug:

Chris had been doing so well! It's hard, all the expectations of perfect moments we planners put on ourselves, and our families, for them to live up to it. It always seems for me, when it does fail, the disappointment is so much more crushing as there is that sense of never being able to get back that moment, the one we didn't have, that we wanted so badly. It's a fine line between being able to roll with it, just letting the magic happen, but also wanting/needing to stand your ground for something you really had your heart set on. I'm so sorry the evening ended that way.

I did have to smile at you pushing it with getting the ice cream, that is SO something I would have done too. I hope sleep soothed and the morning was better.

I am so sorry your last night didn't go as planned. I think you really handled it well, though-- I probably would flipped out. You seem to always know how to cool yourself down, even after being disappointed.
We're not crazy about Ohana, but there is nothing like that bread pudding! I wish I could get it to go. Spectro is the best-- I'm in denial that it might be permanently replaced-- I'd be crushed!!

Oh I am so sorry your last night at Disney didn't turn out quite the way you planned it. :hug: It's so hard to travel with someone who doesn't love the magic of Disney.

I'm glad to read you enjoyed your meal at O'hana's. We haven't been since 2008 and your review definitely makes me want to try it again

And I agree with you. There's nothing like the Poly. :cloud9:

Your description of your final evening in the World actually transported me right there with you! I cannot wait to watch Wishes from the beaches of the Poly ... so sad Chris wasn't with you:sad2: You know that old saying 'best laid plans'...sometimes they just bite us in the butt don't they?

I'm sorry your last night went so poorly :sad2: I just saw Wishes from the Poly beach for the first time last trip and I totally understand how disappointing that would be not being able to share it with your whole family!

I'm glad to hear that you like O'hana, though! I haven't heard many good things and am considering checking it out next time...

I hope the last bit of your trip went well! :)

Glad you all enjoyed O'Hana's so much but I was sorry to hear that Chris wasn't able to share in Wishes with you all. I understand the disappointment that you were feeling because it was your last night at the Poly, and you had it all planned out in your mind how it was suppose to go, but unfortunately, it usually doesn't always go as planned. I have really enjoyed your honesty throughout this trip report.;)

I spent the day reading your TR and just loved to hear about all of your experiences. I too have a Disney resistant husband, but my children are now adults so I don't have to subject him to any vacations to WDW anymore. I sympathize with you, but it appears that there were shining moments. :thumbsup2

How lovely that you were able to stay at the BCV for so many days. It sounds like the perfect location for an Epcot lover. Your children are so cute in all of their outfits, I esp loved your DD pretty skirt that she wore to Narcosee's, and your children's dress and shirt that matched for Ohana. So cute. :love:

It sounds like you enjoyed your late night shopping and along time in the lobby, a perfect use of the rental car. I hate relying on disney transportation, it can be frustrating at times. Can't wait to hear how you trip ends. Thanks for taking the time to do the TR.

This is getting repetitive, but I just have to say it, loved the Hawaiian shirts. Your family looked so darned handsome in them.

Sometimes we plan so much & put so much effort in making sure everyone has a magical time that the real event can never live up to our ideals. You still have great memories of your vacation. :hug:

Just to say I am still here, reading along and thoroughly enjoying your TR. I will be sad when it is over.

So sorry your last night was spoiled. It is horrible knowing you have to leave the next day but not getting to spend time together makes it worse.

Fingers crossed that you will manage to get Chris to go again with you and the kids and that you get to re-do your last night again.

Trish, I almost hate to say it but.....

I am sorry that your evening did not turn out as planned. There is nothing so disappointing than to plan and imagine the perfect time and then something or someone causes it to be so very different. We have all had times like that. :rolleyes: However, I am sure you made a great memory with your children that evening. When they are older they will say, "Hey mom, remember the time we were at Disney and we watched fireworks while sitting on a beach. That was so fun! By the way, where was Dad?" You know the good times always out shines the bad ones. :goodvibes

As for staying at the Poly...I would LOVE it! :thumbsup2 It is one of my Disney dreams to stay there...the Contemporary, also! :) I am in total agreement that they should not every remodel or change things too much there...it has a great feel/vibe to it. Classic Disney World!

I am hoping your last morning was extra special and magical...looking forward to reading all about it. :wizard:
BTW....hope you are staying warm up there in the great white north! ;)

TTFN
Darlene

The torch lighting ceremony looks really neat. Do you know what time it happens each evening?

'Ohana looks so yummy!! I definitely want to get in there next time. We love that kind of food.

I'm glad you and the kiddos got to enjoy Spectro. What a bummer on Chris missing Wishes though. My husband is very similar so I have walked down the same road, many times. It's hard when you look around at all the "picture perfect" families, isn't it? :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter