How long to stay?

BelleNJ

Finally a Floridian!!!
DH and I are taking DD on her first trip in January. We will also have grandparents with us during our trip, but they are staying with family off site. My question is mainly "How long is too long to stay?" Our DD will be six months old at the time. We are planning on staying at the Poly and right now have a seven night trip planned. I'm thinking that might be too long and overwhelming for her. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I think the longer stay is great. It'll give you time to take things at a slower pace if need be. I didn't take a 6 mo. old to WDW, but I flew out-of-state with babies as young as 8 wks old. My 1st 2 kids have flown a lot starting very young. The youngest I've had at WDW was 18 mos. None of the traveling was overwhelming to the infant. The question is whether or not it will overwhelm you. I'd have no reservations about going for a week.

If you were planning on attacking the parks "commando-style" (up early, run all day, stay late, repeat), I'd say that seven nights would be too much for a six month old.

However, by your signature, I see you've got enough trips in your past to afford to take it easy. I would think you could take your time and be OK with planning your days around your little one. Be prepared for nap times, maybe not sleeping through the night so a late start and many, many breaks. In January, weather and crowds should not be a major issue.

We've been to WDW when my daughter was 15 months and then again when my son was 12 months. We had a great time, but it was not the same trip as without them. You just have to let their mood guide you.

Of course, you'll have grandparents there to help as well. Use those Fastpasses wisely and don't forget the babyswap! In my experience, the baby swap was good for at least those sitting out and, in at least one occassion, for up to six people in our party!

Have a great time. Congrats on the baby. Good luck with the grandparents. And if you still think seven nights at the Polynesian will be too much, I'd be happy to take your vacation for you! ;)

hi BelleNJ, we are almost neighbors, I am from Woodbury. We just returned from our first trip for 1 week with three kids oldest was 4 and twins 2 yrs old. I think a week is good for a first trip, any shorter and there is no time to settle in bofore you have to leave and after 1 week, my kids were missing home, there own toys and home. They are older than your but thats how it was for us. After a week, i was ready for home too, now of course, I am ready for our next disney trip. Good luck and have fun.

I think 7 nights sounds good. Any less and you will feel rushed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter