How many of you have used the Fairy Godmothers service for children under 3?

Scoootch

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!

Just wondering how many of you have children 3 or under and have used the fairy godmothers babysitting service?

I have a 2 1/2 yr old and up until now didn't think I'd ever consider leaving my ds with someone who would be a stranger to him (and to us for that matter). I'm wondering though, if maybe those of you who have experienced the fairy godmothers service could let me know what you thought - good or bad and how much do they charge. It may help me make a decision on whether to try it out or not. It sure would be nice to have a nice dinner out one night at one of the nicer resturaunts without having to worry about if my toddler will behave or not and has had a long enough nap that day.

Thanks for any info! :wave:

We have a Fairy Godmother booked (2 actually, for 3 boys-5,3, and 18 mos.-from3 different families!). I booked based on information I read at Deb's site. They charge $8/hour per child and a travel fee (I can't remember if that is $8 or $12!) and there is a 4 hour min.

Anyway, I would love to hear from more people that have used them!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

If you do a search for "fairy godmothers" it brings up lots of threads where people have written about their experiences. That said, I have never read a single negative thing about them. We are using their service for our trip in early Dec and looking forward to a night out alone!

We used them on our first family trip and we thought it was fine. They were all asleep and she was sitting on the floor, reading by the bathroom light - what more could you ask for? Our youngest was 21/2 and the boys were 4 and 5. I figured the older one would give me a full rundown of the experience the next day. We had her arrive later in the evening, 8:00 I think, knowing that the kids would be tired and ready to sleep before long. We using them again this trip, 6 years later.

Now, my kids had been left before at home with sitters and they had each other, so I don't know how one child alone would do. You could put him to sleep and then leave, but if he wakes up, that could be difficult. Maybe before you go, leave him at home with a sitter once and awhile?

We used them last year (my kids were 2 & 4). They really enjoyed themselves and were both sleeping when we got home.

I have them booked again for this trip and the cost is $12/hour for both kids with a $12 travel charge and a 4 hour minimum. Both my kids are actually looking forward to mom and dad leaving for a while.

JesnJakesMom and Karel--I asked this under a post of my own but didn't get many responses so I thought I'd try here...Did you give the sitter a tip and if so, how much?

Thanks!

Sorry, but I don't remember and I'm not sure if we will or not this time. I think the $12 traveling fee is a lot - how far are they traveling and how much could it cost? And how much does the agency take of that 12 an hour? Even if they take half, she still makes $42 for four hours. Thats how much I make for my job and I have to pay for gas, a sitter...So we might slip her an extra five. My friends says to call the agency and ask them about tipping.

I think you pay plenty too! Good idea to ask the service!

Thanks again!

Last year we did not tip her. She didn't bring any toys or movies of her own like they told us she would. So, even though my kids really like her and had fun with her, they stayed in our room and played with their own toys and watched tv. And last year we didn't have her come until 7:00 and we just went to PI for a while, we were back around midnight. My kids we asleep by 9:00 so she really only watched them for about 2 hours!

This year she'll be coming at 4:00 so DH and I can go to MGM and then a Travis Tritt concert at HOB so she'll be a bit more challenged. If she's prepared and all goes well I might tip her, but I don't feel obligated because $12 is quite high, even if she gets only 1/2 -- that is what I pay my babysitter at home, so I think that is pleanty.

My experience with Fairy Godmother's is very old as we used them during a convention in 1992. At that time had 3DD's - 10mths, 4 and 8. We had the same young lady (was surprised I expected old) for the 4 nights. I can not praise her enough, she was amazing! Brought materials for crafts and kept the girls entertained and excited about her each evening. She earned and deserved the gratuity that we payed her. Found that every evening she would spend some extra time with my wife and I letting us know what had gone on and in learning more about our country (Canada). Use FG with confidence.

Gary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter