How much spending $ for kids?

NanaKate

Earning My Ears
We are taking granddaughters (ages 7 and 9) to DL for the first time next weekend. I am thinking of getting them Disney gift cards for their souvenirs and such. What is a reasonable amount? Don't want to overdo it, but I know how fast things added up when we were at WDW. Not sure what all is available at DL either. Suggestions?

What kind of things would interest them or do think are reasonable? A costume with accessories can easily be $100. T-shirts $20-25. Small toys $20-30. This trip DD is getting $50. That will cover a toy and a couple of treats. Last couple trips we've come home with so much stuff I could barely get it in the suitcase.

What kind of things would interest them or do think are reasonable? A costume with accessories can easily be $100. T-shirts $20-25. Small toys $20-30. This trip DD is getting $50. That will cover a toy and a couple of treats. Last couple trips we've come home with so much stuff I could barely get it in the suitcase.

Getting stuff home on the plane is a concern!

Our kids will get $100 each, this is their first trip so they will have limits on how to spend it. They can each buy 1 hat, 1 toy or souvenir and the rest can go to t-shirts or hoodys. I am bringing space saver bags to shrink our clothes and fit more in. :)

Our kids saved for our past trip. They had over a year to do so and put away Birthday money and had asked for money for Christmas. They ended up with about $300 each. It seems like a lot, however they had earmarked a lot of their gift money for things they wanted at DLR. DD wanted a pair of silver earrings she had spotted last trip and DS wanted another Disney Build-A-Bear and to go to the Lego Store.

I think they ended up spending about $100 of their money on treats and trinkets in 8 days. This included them each getting popcorn in the Halloween souvenir buckets and the much coveted safety cone sippers from Carsland. They still use these and enjoy them, so that was a good choice for them.

Oh... And DS was 8 and DD was 12 at the time of our trip if that is helpful.

Have fun!!!!

We give our kids around $20 each, enough to buy an extra snack if they want, or a keychain, small jewellery, etc. They know that the trip itself is the real gift, and the true value of the trip. :goodvibes

If it's an all day field trip with his HS band my son gets a $50 gift card plus $15 cash JUST for FOOD!! He usually doesn't want any souvenirs. Although when we have on property family staycation he gets to charge back to room w/room key. ONLY for drinks, ice cream and food purchases (snack stuff from shops) WITHIN a $15 - $25 limit. If it's we go to WDW then it's a wee bit more! Last May he took a 5 day trip with the HS Band to WDW and even with some meals provided I still had to give him a $130 gift card PLUS $40 cash! On this occasion he only bought a couple of cheap souvenirs! I think it was under the influence of his friends!

DS knows the trip is the gift. He got to pick out one souvenir - under $30. It worked out fine.

My kids got $100 for a 5 day trip from my parents instead of Easter baskets. They spent $20 a day, including treats. This year, we will prob. Get them $50 gift card each, and build in 5 dollars each, per day or treats. My girls are 3 and 6. They are already ready for tigger tails!!

Our kids are getting to pick out one souvenir under $20 each. If we weren't doing a budget trip, I would love them to each have $60-$75, but I would make them budget in their own treats, too. :)

DS saved coins in his piggy bank for about a year before we went in Dec. I think it was about $90. We threw in the difference and got him a $100 gift card. He knew he wanted a Santa hat with Mickey ears, so he bought that and that was it. He still has $ on the card, so he can use it when we go back next week. DS is 4.5.

At that age I would give them $75. This allows them to buy either a few small things (like bubble guns) or something a bit more expensive. We found that by letting our kids be in charge of their own money at DL they were a lot more mindful with their purchases than if we were paying for them. Have fun, I'm sure your grandkids will appreciate whatever you do:goodvibes

Our DD8 has been saving her Birthday Money and her money she receives for doing odd jobs around the house. She is up to about $120.00 dollars. She will be able to use that - but she will have to spread between Disney, Hollywood and San Diego. We will supplement that as we see fit.

I think we'll give the kids each $50 and take $50 out of their savings accounts so $100 each. We did that last time and it was enough to buy themselves each a treat (lollies, etc), a shirt, a stuffy and one small trinket.

my kids each got a 25$ gift card with their christmas gifts and 10$ US for the kids under 10 and 50$ US for the teen boys.

due to suitcase packing size limitations the kids are aware they are only getting one "souvenir" my daughter plans on a build a bear, my two younger sons are thinking of a ridemakerz and my two teen boys are planning to spend all their money on snacks

My son has some behavioral issues so he's going to have to "earn" his Disney dollars by being on his best behavior while we're there. I have 8 - $25 gift cards -- one for each day. If he behaves appropriately (we have a specific set of guidelines set out), he'll get a card for the next day, which he can save or spend. If he misbehaves, I get to keep it, my "reward" for having to deal with him. No judgment please; this is the system we use at home for his allowance after much trial and error and have found it's the most effective system of keeping him in line.

My son has some behavioral issues so he's going to have to "earn" his Disney dollars by being on his best behavior while we're there. I have 8 - $25 gift cards -- one for each day. If he behaves appropriately (we have a specific set of guidelines set out), he'll get a card for the next day, which he can save or spend. If he misbehaves, I get to keep it, my "reward" for having to deal with him. No judgment please; this is the system we use at home for his allowance after much trial and error and have found it's the most effective system of keeping him in line.
That's a clever way to deal with instant recognition for both positive and negative behavior. It does take so much trial and error to find a way that works for your specific child- I'm glad you found a system for you!

As to OP- my personal opinion is that is important to talk about all the overwhelming choices they will have and see if you can come to some consensus before you go on what are good souvenirs (when we are on super tight budget it is one tee and 1 under $10 item of their choice). I liked tees because the girls would wear them to school and be reminded of how much fun we had. Now the girls are older- they both want hoodies, which are more expensive, or jewelry so I gave them $75 gift cards for Christmas. They can add their own money too. I do think it is great to let them be able to pick one less expensive thing that might be something you would never buy. I try really hard to give my opinion once and then shut up :rotfl: Sometimes that silly little thing we grown-ups just know isn't worth it becomes their favorite item...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter