How old is too old for a stroller?

Was there enough room in the double strollers for your 2 kids? We'll be there in 2 weeks with DD7 and DS5, the older of whom has difficulty walking distances due to foot/ankle problems, and DS who has type 1 diabetes...we are definitely planning on having a stroller available, if nothing else then for all the stuff!. The question is whether to lug our double Peg Perego, or rent.

Originally posted by sleepydoc
Was there enough room in the double strollers for your 2 kids? We'll be there in 2 weeks with DD7 and DS5, the older of whom has difficulty walking distances due to foot/ankle problems, and DS who has type 1 diabetes...we are definitely planning on having a stroller available, if nothing else then for all the stuff!. The question is whether to lug our double Peg Perego, or rent.

They should be ok in a double - my girls are 6 and 8 and although we only use one at Epcot in the evening they fit fine. You could always try one for a while and if it dosen't work out return to the rental counter with your receipt and echange for a double and a single or two singles. IMHO the doubles are really easy to push but my girls are light 33 lbs and 42 lbs so that may be a factor.

TJ
ps - the www.wdwig.com site has pictures of the single and double strollers.

Here's a suggestion, I was reading one of the guidebooks the other day and the author recommends that a person start walking everyday about a month before your scheduled trip. By walking everyday you are preparing yourself for walking at WDW.

diane
:smooth:

EltonJohn - Excellent suggestion for an adult. But not sure this would help an exhausted child.

It seems to me if a child is tired and no longer enjoying themselves the decent thing to do is take them to the room to rest. Sometimes the rest of the party still has the energy and desire to carry on, if this is the case I think the stroller is a good compromise especially at Epcot. (This is were we seem to run into trouble)

Hi, we just got back and we rented a double stroller for our 6 yo and 4 yo, and it really worked out well, even for the 6 yo, who weighs about 48 lbs. I don't think you'll have a problem with the rental strollers, they are very sturdy!

sleepydoc - Yes, there was plenty of room. DD7 (almost 8) is tall and about 55lbs, DS4 (almost 5) is smallish for his age - about 37lbs. DD had to cross her legs, or have her knees up - but this wasn't a problem because they ride for such short distances at a time.
We actually brought our expensive umbrella stroller for DS last June - thinking DD would walk. After about 15 minutes of pushing a heavy child around in our own stroller we gave up and got a disney rental. We could push the kiddie mover with one hand with both kids in it!
You will find that they are very easy to push and absorb the weight of older children better (possibly even better than your own double stroller). They are extremely sturdy and easy to move around.
Have a look at wdwig site as they have a picture of them. They aren't really traditional strollers as such. MGM's are slightly different (jogging type) but DD didn't have any problems fitting into that one either.
IMHO - I'd much rather rent a Disney one for the parks then lug my own each day, now that the kids are a bit older and can at least do a bit of walking (ie to/from transport to parks)
As far as the kids worrying about "riding in a stroller" at their age - it didn't even occur to them, or us - mostly because the Disney ones don't really look like strollers - but more like carts!
Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter