• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Old is Too Old?

CALIFLADY

<font color=purple>The Tag Fairy is jealous of you
I'm heading down for my first solo trip in a few weeks. I've been to the World on a trip with an adult friend in the past and also one with just my niece and nephew (Isn't Aunt CALIFLADY sweet?). Anyhow, I've never done much in MK's Fantasyland. That is, other than IASW, I haven't done the tea cups or Snow White or Peter Pan or anything back in that corner of the park. Even my niece and nephew wanted to pass (they were very young teenagers).

So my question is, as a single adult, are these attractions worth my time? I think I'll pass on Dumbo, but what about the others? I enjoyed IASW, with the exception of the droning song that never leaves your head. I thought it had a lot of magic. Do the others have quality magic for an adult without little ones? Which ones, in particular, would be "do not miss" for you (as a single adult)?

Should I use my EE hour on Sunday in Fantasyland to get to them all (I'll be on property), then do Fastpass on Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear later in the day (BTW, I've never done Buzz before, either)?

Keep in mind, part of my goal on this trip is to do things I've never experienced in the parks before. There's plenty of other new experiences for me without Fantasyland, but I thought it might be an area that I've really overlooked.

What do you think?

Well, I have a hard time with that-I never miss Dumbo! It's the first place I head when I'm by myself. Also, Cinderella's Carousel is a must-do, although I've noticed as I passed 50yo that I have to look for a horse that's not stopped too high-otherwise I can't climb up on it! Now that's embarrassing! And on my last solo trip, I finally did Goofy's Barnstormer and Alladin's Magic Carpets. Actually, I find that I do more "little kid" rides when I'm solo than when DH is with me, because there's no one to embarrass. Although I have noticed a couple of CMs with extremely wide smiles. But if you're not convinced, at least don't miss Peter Pan. DS is soon to graduate college as an engineer, and he thinks that ride is an excellent example of height perspective-the way you appear to be "soaring" above the city. And I love to sit at Pinocchio's Village Haus and wave at the boats in IASW. I don't feel too "grown-up" for anything at DW!

Peter Pan is definitely worth it - also I happen to like Winnie the Pooh's ride - mother is 80 and still likes to do the carousel - however I prefer real horses - the ones at FW are very easy to ride.

I really think you will like buzz!

I think you find that you will have time to do all the Fantansyland and Tomorrowland rides if you get there when the gates open - 7:30am? just do Space Mountain first -

mother also loves Dumbo - but I don't like heights!!!!

I would definitely do them if I were you! DH & I (no kids) go on all the Fantasyland rides (what a sight we must be on Dumbo)

As mentioned above, Peter Pan is magical and I adore the Winnie-the-Pooh ride. I even got to ride it with Tigger on my trip last June! I don't think that Snow White's adventures is quite as great, but it's definitely one I'll do at least once each trip!

I guess I underestimated my age! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I suspect I may be wearing personalized ears with a bow by the time I leave that day, what with all the fun I'll be having!

Now, unfortunately, I'm not sure how I'll have time to see and do everything else that I'd planned if I do all of Fantasyland (as you have all suggested). I know, I know, pace myself and take naps, right?

Any other suggestions?

if you do early entry - by 11:00 we leave - some people go to another park - we go back to the hotel and mother rests, I will read my book or nap too - just depends on how everything went.

then around 4 or 5 we go to another park - and stay there until it closes -

we generally don't eat in the parks - too expensive and the DVC comes with at least a refrigerator and microwave - or the full kitchen. so we save some time there.

do what you think you can!

I love Fantasyland. Especially Peter Pan, Snow White and Winnie the Pooh. I don't think you are ever too old to ride any of the attractions there :)

If you are worried about time - I liked the suggestion about early entry starting in Fantasyland. If you can just choose one of the rides to do - I would pick Peter Pan, second Winnie the Pooh, and then the others in no real order.

And to answer your question about too old - I have said it before and I will say it again -- When they pry the autograph book out of my cold dead hand and the ears from my head then I will be too old!
;)

Have a great trip!

Peter Pan is one of my favorites! I go on any ride that appeals to me, including ISAW. (I'm a middle-aged old bat who just loves solo trips.)

Have a great time--do what you want, when you want. Savor the freedom of a solo trip! :D

I am often at the Magic Kingdom myself when not working and love to go on the rides.

My suggestion would be to go on all the ones you've missed and enjoy!

Have a safe journey to Orlando. :cool:

Okay I love this thread.
When it comes to anything Mickey- I'm still a kid at heart. I've wanted to go to Disney World all my life- and although we did go as a family recently... I'm considering a trip by myself. I don't think my husband would enjoy another trip there so soon (really just not his thing. *sigh*) and I can't really go and enjoy rides/etc if I take all the kids with me (since some can't ride and we had to do the parent switchover thing on almost every ride. Probably would have been more enjoyable to him if we could have done some rides TOGETHER- yanno? That's what we get for going before our youngest were big enough to ride all the rides. LOL)
Anywho... I just know if I go by myself I'm going to resort to being a "kid" again. I'm 33yrs old- but I know I'll be just like a kid again and riding rides that some people might think I look ridiculous on. LOL I did get a few hours late on Christmas when the kids and hubby went to sleep and I went back to MK. I didn't ride rides but I saw the parade and shopped and just generally had a more relaxed time. I think I would enjoy a trip on my own- but was concerned if everyone there would wonder who the weiro lady was (ie: me alone) LOL
Thank you for this thread!

Go for it, Shelstah! Have a ball.

We'll be looking forward to having you with us again.

Best wishes. :cool:

Originally posted by spiceycat
if you do early entry - by 11:00 we leave -

LOL! Sounds like me. I get into the MK using EE when it's available and I'm outta there by 10 a.m. or so.

Here's something that can be fun. Leave the MK and go on the boat over to TTA. I've been the only person on an early morning run several times. As you pull into the loading area, wave to everyone :wave: . Hahaha! The crowd will usually wave back thinking you're a CM.

Just another reason it's fun to go solo. My DH would die of embarrassment if I pulled a stunt like that if he was with me. :teeth:

Roberta

Originally posted by Virgo10

Here's something that can be fun. Leave the MK and go on the boat over to TTA. I've been the only person on an early morning run several times. As you pull into the loading area, wave to everyone :wave: . Hahaha! The crowd will usually wave back thinking you're a CM.

That sounds like something I'd LOVE to do sometime. And like you, DH would die of embarrasment if I did that when he was with me! I'll definitely do that.

Where do you take the boats back to TTA? I've only been there once and all I know to do is take the monorail from MK to TTA!

Oh and do you think people will look at me funny if I have mickey's ears on and an autograph book in my hand in line to get autographs and pics?
Seriously...... will they?
LOL

There is one big flat ferryboat, I think it's slightly off to the left as you come out of the MK.

Here's another idea-when you go into a park, rent a locker and put everything in it, I mean everything, so you're walking around totally empty-handed (probably wouldn't want to do this for more than an hour or two). I did it because I thought it was such a great feeling, but what I found is that all kinds of people come up and ask you questions or for directions, assuming you must work there. After all, have you ever seen an empty handed tourist, without even a camera, in the parks? See how long it is before someone approaches you with a question. It's a fun way to meet people.

Oh no, thanks for the tip but I won't be using the lockers. I tried that on our last trip (at Universal Studios) because of a ride there we had to put our stuff in "free" lockers (free for 2 hours) -so we threw our jackets and camcorder in there (stuff we didn't want to leave in the stroller) and COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THEM for most of the day! We came back to the locker once we remembered and the cost was $14!!!! Fortunately a very nice gentleman working there was right there and heard the dismay in my voice when I told DH how much it was and stopped me before I put my cc in the machine to pay for it so we could get our stuff out and opened it for free! :) (I think he overheard us talking about how we couldn't BELIEVE we'd forgotten about our jackets/etc all day long! LOL)

Do the WDW lockers work like that? Paying on a time basis and really racks up a price if you leave it there for a long period of time?
I had planned on not bringing my camcorder to the parks because I had already videotaped the shows I wanted to and the parades every day last trip. I planned on bringing essentials (very small umbrella, poncho, wallet with tickets/cc/cash, and cameras in a cloth small backpack I recently purchased. It's more like a small cloth purse but it can be worn like a backpack so I don't have to worry about it over my shoulder the entire time (or losing it on a ride/etc!)
I could just use my waist pack but it would be a tight fit for the items I wanted to take- especially my regular camera and digi camera. And it gave me back aches later in the days on the last few days of my last trip anyway. So I wanted to avoid that.

I do know what you mean though- but I'm already going to feel like I'm "walking free" even with just holding my backpack in hand or on my back.. considering I'm used to carrying purse, diaper bag, stroller and kids and all their "stuff" all the time. :)

(I would laugh hysterically if someone asked me a question like I was a CM or something. HAHAHA can you imagine? If you were there- you'd recognize me as the person with their face into the map every few seconds to make sure I'm going the right way/etc. LOL )

spiceycat,

Are they doing early entry once again? They replaced it with roaming characters the last 4th of July when I was there. Real bummer!

Califlady,

What part of N Cal? Born in Auburn but now live in Houston. My thing to do is all the behind the scene things at MGM and eating and drinking myself around the world at Epcot. With the exception of the Cinderella Breakfast, I pretty much avoid Fantasy Land!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter