How quickly did you add on? Addonitis poll

How long after buying your first contract did you add on?

• <1 month

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • <3 months

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • <6 months

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • <1 year

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • <2 years

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • <3 years

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • <5 years

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I am not planning to add on

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • I am planning to add on but have not yet

Votes: 14 9.0%

• Total voters
I immediately wanted more points. The thing is, when they give you two years of points up front, you or at least ME, become accustomed to that amount of points AKA going to Disney twice in one year. We have basically been going twice a year for many years except during COVID and when we went to Europe. It's truly an addiction :)

7 1/2 months and came about as my wife really wanted to have extra points for split stays.

The only negative was that the contract was listed as a Feb UY that matched up with our first contract, but midway through finalizing things they found out they had listed the incorrect UY.

Ultimately it was the small contract we were looking for and it could close in time for us to book. So we went through with it.

That said, we have since bought a second contract at the same resort with our original UY and will eventually sell the other one. For now the extra points come in handy for our daughter's WDW wedding next year!

We purchased direct this past summer and booked a December trip with all of our points plus some from the following year. About a week later I was like crap! Now I have to buy more so we can take a trip in 2024. We bought a resale contract a week later. It was a quick progression. Now we're looking at our third, but we won't pull the trigger on that until next year.

View attachment 811170

Here's my Total Points Remaining vs. time. Each add-on and stay is a dot (and one OTUP purchase). When points go up visibly, that's an add-on.

Definitely started off slow, taking over 2 years before adding on. Then had a burst of add-ons, then repeated the slow/add-on spree recently.

Am I reading this wrong or do you have over 60,000 DVC points?

Am I reading this wrong or do you have over 60,000 DVC points?
If I read that right it is the actual number of points before their contracts all expire. Different from # of annual points in a contract. A representation that accounts for # of years left on contracts. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone do it that way before. Truth that you own them from the day you purchase but you don't have access to the majority of them.

My first contract was for half the number of points I figured I’d ultimately need. Why half? First, I could bank/borrow enough to cover a couple of years trips; second, I could use those points to try out other DVC resorts I was thinking of buying & to test whether the DVC system worked for me; third, & most importantly, I only had enough cash on hand to buy that number of points.
The original plan was to wait around 3 years since that’s when that first contract would ‘run out’ of points & we’d either need to skip a year to ‘reload’ points or buy a second contract, but I ended up buying the second contract between 1 & 2 years, mostly because my checking account had built up enough spare cash to do so (despite my very aggressive contributions to my retirement investments) & I liked staying in larger DVC villas for longer vacations & I’d tried out my potential next home resort candidates and found my favorite.
Third add on was a couple years after that - just enough to upsize/lengthen visits to our first Resort, and spare funds had built up again. Fourth add on was a couple years later, and was my only direct purchase - this time to lengthen trips at our second Resort.
W/ the exception of the first year split stay bonanza trying out resorts trip & last years BPK stay added to our already booked normal longer stay to try out my shiny new direct points, I‘ve use the points for one long trip per year booked at 11 months at one of my home resorts (alternating years.)
That pattern will likely be disrupted in the next few years as I treat my nieces & their young children to WDW stays, if those become a ’thing’ I may need to add a few points.

Last edited:
My first contract was for half the number of points I figured I’d ultimately need. Why half? First, I could bank/borrow enough to cover a couple of years trips; second, I could use those points to try out other DVC resorts I was thinking of buying & to test whether the DVC system worked for me; third, & most importantly, I only had enough cash on hand to buy that number of points.
We also started slow, or so I thought ... with the same idea - we'd bank and stay annually in a studio one year and then a 1br the next. Well, the resale contract we bought had banked points, so our first DVC stay was in a BLT 1br. Oops. The size disparity between the BLT 1br and studio just ...

I selected <1 year but actually we added on 25 points direct within the week after our resale back when 25 points direct got you blue card benefits. So technically <1 month.

I honestly was surprised at the add-ons for the soon expiring resorts. I started out with Resale BCV knowing it was ending in 2024 but it seemed a million years away (ha). Then added Direct Poly with long expiration date.

As much as I'm surprised about the present BWV/BCV etc purchases recently, I admit I toyed with buying a resale BWV as we stay there more than at Poly. Then logic, maintenance costs and our age said No, so instead have transferred in points from wonderful DISers.

I purchased our first contract on February 3 and we closed March 16. I will start looking for a second contract around the same time. I expect this contract may take longer because I do not need the points until January 2025 so I will be more selective with my offers.

The first contract I wanted to use for an August 2023 trip.

Is it addonitis if you are building up to a target amount?
Maybe it should be when did you first add on points you originally hadn’t planned on getting in addition to your first contract when you first bought? My first add on contract actually occurred after getting stuck in an airport for 2 days and somewhat ruined my holidays and I was pissed so I did the only thing that would make me happy: buy more points LOL

Maybe it should be when did you first add on points you originally hadn’t planned on getting in addition to your first contract when you first bought? My first add on contract actually occurred after getting stuck in an airport for 2 days and somewhat ruined my holidays and I was pissed so I did the only thing that would make me happy: buy more points LOL
Locking in future Disney dopamine…. I mean pixie dust hits….

First contract ROFRed.
Second contract, international seller.
Third contract, while waiting on second contract.

Cammi closed my first two home resorts on the same day.

I started with a small resale (60 pt) to get my foot in the door. Then added on 40 direct as soon as it closed so I'd have enough for my first trip. I'm not a large points owner, a couple of more add ons and I'm at 175, but I'd like to have 200. With an April UY and only needing another 25 pts, I'm pretty much stuck with direct. Hard to flip that switch at current prices, but I know they only keep going up. :scratchin

Do you want us to vote based on our first unplanned add-on?

I added on less than 1 month, because we knew we wanted enough Direct Points for the perks, but resale points for the savings. So I found a resale contract we liked, it got accepted in ROFR (so we were certain of use year), and then we immediately added a direct purchase to go alongside.

We added on again 3 months later, but that was also planned: we knew we wanted AKV points as well.

Our first "unplanned" add-on was not quite a year later: the crazy Summer 2020 incentives convinced us to add on at Copper Creek and Riviera (direct for both) at that point, and we got two fixed weeks at Copper Creek during that time when the fixed weeks were a really, really good deal.

Do you want us to vote based on our first unplanned add-on?

I added on less than 1 month, because we knew we wanted enough Direct Points for the perks, but resale points for the savings. So I found a resale contract we liked, it got accepted in ROFR (so we were certain of use year), and then we immediately added a direct purchase to go alongside.

We added on again 3 months later, but that was also planned: we knew we wanted AKV points as well.

Our first "unplanned" add-on was not quite a year later: the crazy Summer 2020 incentives convinced us to add on at Copper Creek and Riviera (direct for both) at that point, and we got two fixed weeks at Copper Creek during that time when the fixed weeks were a really, really good deal.
I think the "unplanned" is a really interesting question.

Or maybe rather, the transition from the initial steady-state content/'having enough' state to adding on.

We added on before our first contract closed, so technically it was just a new contract lol.

I picked that we haven't added on...but plan to.
Just...don't tell my husband. Ha!

We have 160 points and I think we will get by on this for several years based on how we like to travel. BUT....I can definitely see us wanting to add more when our son is older. I suppose it just depends on what types of resale contracts for VGC exist at that time. I don't see us owning anywhere else. But never say never! Our son hasn't been to WDW yet. Maybe he'll love it and we will want to eventually add there as well.

We joined in August of '08 and added on in November of '09. Our guide contacted us because she found that after the first year her clients always wanted a 'bit more' and she was right. Then 4 years later we added the BCV, just because we wanted IG access year round, and 7 years after that we added on again at BCV, which was a total waste of $$ but we do enjoy that entrance. We'll probably never recoup the cost of the BCV add-ons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter