"How to gain 10 pounds in a week" a Dining review (finally updated)

disneymom727

DIS Veteran
This was our first experience at WDW using any kind of dining plan. Let me just say it won't be our last. Though you do get a TON of food, the opportunity to eat at restaurants we probably would not have, was worth the money. There were three of us, my husband, myself and our 3 year old (picky, eat-like-a-bird) son. We'll grade on a star rating with 5 being the best of course.

Chef Mickey's
We did Chef Mickey's on our first night there which was a Saturday. It was very crowded and this is when we realized we needed to get to the restaurants earlier than just 15 minutes ahead of time to make our actual reservation. We did have a bit of a wait but not too long. There is so much going on that you almost forget you are waiting. This restaurant was a lot of fun and I am sure will now be a tradition with each trip.

Service: 5 *****
Food: 4 ****(Prime rib was excellent as were the parmesan mashed potatoes)
Atmosphere: 5 *****

Earl of Sandwich
YUM YUM YUM! We all loved our sandwiches. I had the Beef-n-Bleu, my husband had the Florentine and our picky son had a pizza sandwich. Besides being huge they were delicious.

Service: 5 *****(it was very crowded but they were very quick)
Food: 5 *****
Atmosphere: 4 ****(decorated very cute for a sandwich shop)

Ohana
We had a very nice view of the castle from our table. We were not right next to the windows but it was still a lovely view. We were on the opposite side of where they were doing the activities for the children so that was a bummer but maybe next time, I know my son would have enjoyed that. We really enjoyed our dinner here as well. The potatoes were amazing!

Service: 3 ***
Food: 5 *****
Atmosphere: 4 **** (we knew there were fun activities but didn't really get to participate from where we were seated)

Coral Reef
We ate here for lunch and were able to sit right next to the tank. This was awesome, especially for my husband and son who both love sea animals. It was cool to watch the sharks and giant turtles swim by. We were also there when they came to feed the fish so that was neat to get to see too. The only downside was that this meal did wind up taking us about an hour and a half mostly due to our slow server.

Food: 4****
Atmosphere: 5*****

LeCellier
By far the best meal we ate all week! My husband said his filet was probably the best steak he has ever had. I would have to agree although I got the New York strip. The only problem here was that they brought me the wrong meal TWICE! My husband and son were done with their meals before I had even gotten mine. However, it was well worth the wait when I finally did. It also bothered me that our server didn't seem bothered by the fact that I didn't have my dinner with the rest of my family. I would hope had we not been on the dining plan they would have done something to rectify the situation. On a side note, I had the cheese soup as my appetizer but was disappointed in that.

Service: 2 1/2 (would have been a 4 until the whole steak fiasco)
Food: 5 ***** (even with the soup I didn't much care for and my son's overdone cheeseburger)
Atmosphere: 4 **** (very romantic, except when you have a 3 yr. old with a spinning light-up Buzz Lightyear)

This is only half of it, there is more to come.....

Great review. :thumbsup2 Do you think the server didn't rush because you were on the dining plan. Was that the case at other restaurants??? :confused3

Not the OP but we too love LeCellier and thought I would throw in my two cents. We eat there often - once a trip and that is about three times a year...anyway this last trip we were not on the dining plan and they messed up my daughters steak (she is an adult) and took it back and it took FOREVER to get fixed and then they brought out the desserts at the same time as her steak! We encouraged her to take her time but she ended up just eating a few bits of it and being done with it. She said she didn't feel like we needed to go back next time either.

So although we have had good service there we also had a negative experience and we were not on the dining plan.

Liz

Awesome dining report! :)

Man, though, why didn't your family wait until you had your food to eat? I would hate to have to eat when they were done. I'd probably make me feel a bit rushed. Sucks that they messed your order up.

We're eating at CM's for breakfast in May and also having dinner at Le Cellier. I'm excited for both especially since I've heard a lot of good things about Le Cellier and I love steak.

LOLOLOL :lmao:

OMG

this was soooo funny!!!

actually, I came back LESS from WDW and we had FREE DINING!!!

I was shocked...

all I really did was share some portions and drink all the water around me...

other than that, there was no passin up deserts no matter how close I was to WW lifetime and goal!!! :)

it all worked out...

5 mos later...still at goal... :)

need another trip so I can go down some more in pounds!!!!! :banana:

we liked some of your places too!!!

great choices

siestakeys04 said:
Great review. :thumbsup2 Do you think the server didn't rush because you were on the dining plan. Was that the case at other restaurants??? :confused3

LeCellier and Coral Reef were the only places we had slower service. To be honest if they had not messed up my dinner I don't think it would have taken so long. At Coral Reef I think it was really just the server in general, dining plan or not. We really had pretty good service everywhere we ate. I never felt like we were treated any different on the dining plan.

amburger said:
Awesome dining report! :)

Man, though, why didn't your family wait until you had your food to eat? I would hate to have to eat when they were done. I'd probably make me feel a bit rushed. Sucks that they messed your order up.

My husband said he couldn't wait with that juicy steak in front of him ;) I'm glad they didn't either their food would have been cold. I did feel a bit rushed but not by them just myself.

disneymom727 said:
My husband said he couldn't wait with that juicy steak in front of him ;) I'm glad they didn't either their food would have been cold. I did feel a bit rushed but not by them just myself.

Yeah, true. I was thinking about that and actually orginally I was going to saw maybe they could've asked to have their food go back and come back out when your food was ready again, but with that service I wouldn't since then their food probably woulda got all mixed up and yeah. Just too much hassle. Not a lot you can do unless you want the food to get cold. haha.

Glad you gave your reviews a number. My DF and I were thinking about omitting Coral Reef from our next visit but now I think we'll give it a try

Sorry it has taken me so long to finish my reviews but here goes.....

Boatwrights
We walked over to Boatwrights from our resort POFQ. It was a very nice and relaxing walk. We did have reservations but they were not full at all. My husband had a sausage and cheese omelet. He is still talking about it! He says it was the best omelet he has ever had. I just had your average eggs & bacon breakfast. It was very good but I wish I had been a bit more adventureous. A lady at the table next to me had the stuffed french toast and it looked wonderful. We took the boat back to our resort. This was a wonderful way to start a relaxing, no parks day.

Food: 5*****
Atmosphere: 4**** (it was a little chilly they had a nice fire going)

Whispering Canyon Cafe
This was our first time eating here for dinner. We had previously had lunch there but decided to try dinner for a livlier experience. We were not disappointed. It was a lot of fun. Our son really enjoyed the pony races. Our server told us she was not one of the rowdier servers which suited us fine. She did throw straws at us which my son still tells everyone about. Both my husband and I ordered the skillet. It was good but in my opinion not as good as it looks in the pictures I have seen. I will say the pork was awesome!!! If I ever order it again I may just ask for the pork. The salad was yummy too. For dessert I got the banana dustbowl, it was the best dessert I had all week.

Service: 4****
Food: 4**** (the pork gets 5)

Pizza Planet
I know this is a counter service but I thought I'd share our experience none the less. If you have a Toy Story fan in the family they will love this place. My son thought it was the coolest to eat here. Not the best pizza in the world but I would go back in a heartbeat just to watch my son's face light up the way it did.

Service: 5***** (very fast during a busy time of day)
Food: 3*** (pizza 2, but the salad was good)

50's Prime Time Cafe
This was our last TS and unfortunately a bit of a disappointment. I'd heard everybody rave about the fried chicken here. Being a bit of a "fried chicken expert" I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't really care for it. I am used to GOOD southern fried chicken so this just didn't compare. It wasn't terrible just not the best. My husband didn't really care for his chicken pot pie either. We kept getting yelled at for putting our elbows on the table and I got in trouble for not eating my green beans. My son thought that was hilarious. We had fun just not as much as we'd expected. Also, our server used to live in Raleigh so he kept talking to us about the area which was fine except that we didn't really get to just eat as a family.

Service: 3*** (our server was slow and hard to find except when he was sitting at our table talking to my husband)
Food: 3***
Atmosphere: 5***** (very cute)

That's it for Table services. Our other counter services were Sassagoula Floatworks, Tusker House, Pecos Bills (my least favorite), and Cosmic Ray's. Thank you for taking time to read the reviews. I know other's reviews were helpful to us as we were planning our trip. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for your reviews! We're going in May and eating at most of the restaurants where you ate! :thumbsup2 This is going to be our first trip on the dining plan and so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed having the plan!

I've heard that the waiter sitting at your table and talking is part of the "show" at 50's Prime Time Diner. I'm a little worried that we won't enjoy that meal. My sons are 5 and 7 and they will LOVE it if the waiter gets onto us. :rotfl2: I'm just hoping that we like the food! My DS loves fried chicken and I'm thinking about eating his grilled chicken kid's meal and giving him my fried chicken. I wonder what the waiter will think about that. :confused:

Great reviews. 50's Prime Time seems like it is getting a little mean spirited. A few more of these type of reviews and I am going to cross it off my list.

Our other counter services were Sassagoula Floatworks, Tusker House, Pecos Bills (my least favorite), and Cosmic Ray's. Thank you for taking time to read the reviews. I know other's reviews were helpful to us as we were planning our trip. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for your reviews. DH, DD3 and I are staying at POFQ in Dec. How was the Sassagoula Floatworks? Did you try the bignets (sp)?

We're also staying at POFQ in December and I would love to know what you thought of the food court there. Anything you'd really recommend? Anything that should be avoided?

Thanks for the reviews, I enjoyed reading them!

NH Mommy said:
Our other counter services were Sassagoula Floatworks, Tusker House, Pecos Bills (my least favorite), and Cosmic Ray's. Thank you for taking time to read the reviews. I know other's reviews were helpful to us as we were planning our trip. Feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for your reviews. DH, DD3 and I are staying at POFQ in Dec. How was the Sassagoula Floatworks? Did you try the bignets (sp)?

I did try them twice. They were just okay. I didn't think they were as great as I'd heard. I think the bad thing about reading all the reviews on here is that it may raise someone's expectations on things. I know it did me ;).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter