How To Get Gr8 Pics

idoteech

Counting My Blessings
I just bought a Sony DSC-W5 for our upcoming holiday trip to WDW. The problem is that I am not familiar with digital photography, but I want to capture some great shots of my girls (DD3 & DD 8 mo.) first trip!!! If anyone has any pointers/tips on the Sony W5, I would appreciate it. It does fairly well in daylight outside, but night shots are horribly blurry and my inside shots sometimes are orangish or yellowish. Thanks in advance for your tips. I want my girls to look back and enjoy the memories from their first trip to WDW.

Don't worry about night and indoor pictures not turning out right. 99% of WDW pictures are taken outdoors in the daylight. Some of my past favorite pics have been: a close up of child eatting a mickey shaped icecream. If your kids go in a pool stand above them and click, of course pictures of them with characters but I was disappointed a little with this since there are often strangers walking by in back which distracts from the pic. Standing in front but way in front of all the main locations(castel, tree in AK, Ball at Epcot, etc.)Even take pictures of them sleeping in the stroller I have a few of these and I love them. Also make sure and buy any pics that WDW takes and offers you like on rides and with Mickey. Have Fun and click click click! :teeth:

Sounds like you are practicing before your trip. That would be my first piece of advice.

As far as the blurry night shots, we always either steady the camera on top of something (garbage can, fence, whatever) or we haul in the tripod. That should help. And for your indoor shots coming out orange or yellow, does your camera allow you to adjust the lighting conditions (such as tungston, flash, flouresent, sunlight...)? That may help if you compensate for the lighting conditions. I am not familiar with your particular camera, maybe someone who has one will respond. Good luck!

I would also take the time to read the manual that came with the camera. Even the pros don't get great shots every time.

safetymom said:
I would also take the time to read the manual that came with the camera. Even the pros don't get great shots every time.

Boy is this an understatement for me. I have spent literally hours reading the manual that came with our new camera. I even find myself taking notes so that I will remember what I read! And that is including my rocket-science husband who retains everything he reads helping me! And no, I am not a pro (obviously).

safetymom said:
Even the pros don't get great shots every time.

shhhhhhhh you're not supposed to tell people that, we'd like them to think that all of our pictures are prize winning photos..

Read the section in your manual about setting white balance. It will describe how to change the settings for different types of light. This should help eliminate the yellow cast that you see with your indoor shots.

Have a great time at WDW!

I have a P&S digital camera that has all of the various settings for f-stop, aperture, etc, but I still use the auto setting. Why? Because I want to take a picture without worrying about all of those settings. I had a 35mm camera that required setting everything. For me to enjoy photography, just POINT & SHOOT!

bscs said:
Don't worry about night and indoor pictures not turning out right. 99% of WDW pictures are taken outdoors in the daylight.

Hi all, just found this new board!

LOL except me! Leave it to me to break that, I sleep in and stay out till closing, so most of mine are at night. Proof was how horrrible mine were last trip! And that was a 35mm too! Not sure what I am gonna do this time, digital? But that is another post .

miss missy said:
Hi all, just found this new board!

LOL except me! Leave it to me to break that, I sleep in and stay out till closing, so most of mine are at night. Proof was how horrrible mine were last trip! And that was a 35mm too! Not sure what I am gonna do this time, digital? But that is another post .

Is that NE as in Nebraska or New England? Anyway, bad night pictures are not result of using 35mm or digital cameras. Night pictures are dependant on available light, shutter speed, your lense, film ISO (or the digital equivalent), and steady hands. You don't need a new camera to get good night shots, better technique with your 35mm should do it. The problem with film is you need different ISO's for day and night. The film that takes great shots during the day will be lousy for night shots. I have some amazing pictures of the Spectrum Magic parade from 13 years ago. I was using ISO 1000 speed film however, which would look like pictures of a white sheet of paper if I used it during the daytime. Daytime pictures would normally be ISO 100 speed, which would look dark or blurry if used at night without a flash. The digital advantage is you can change the ISO setting in the camera from one shot to another. The biggest advantage though is being able to practice by taking thousands of pictures without the expense of developing pictures, especially the lousy ones. Load them into your computer and delete the ones you don't like. Either way you go, if you get a chance to learn about the basics of photography before you go back to WDW (or any important event) and you will be thrilled with the results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter