How would you describe Hilton Head's beach on the Atlantic?

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
I read an article that said that the beach sand was packed down hard and was uncomfortable. We're not familiar with the beaches on Hilton Head Island. If you've stayed at the HHI Disney Resort and have been to the Beach House, how would you describe the beach? Did this section of the beach seem any different than other areas? Was there a nice amount of sand to lay on comfortably? To make sand castles? To dig some holes?

We have a reservation in a villa at Disney's HHI resort, but after reading this article, I'm concerned. Is the sand nicer on other beach areas of the island?

I would appreciate hearing from others who have experience staying there. Thanks so much!

I read an article that said that the beach sand was packed down hard and was uncomfortable. We're not familiar with the beaches on Hilton Head Island. If you've stayed at the HHI Disney Resort and have been to the Beach House, how would you describe the beach? Did this section of the beach seem any different than other areas? Was there a nice amount of sand to lay on comfortably? To make sand castles? To dig some holes?

We have a reservation in a villa at Disney's HHI resort, but after reading this article, I'm concerned. Is the sand nicer on other beach areas of the island?

I would appreciate hearing from others who have experience staying there. Thanks so much!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/hhi-owners-and-beach-lovers-group-thread.3836805/post-65360159

Maybe revise your post in the HHI Owner's forum?

They will be the most knowledgeable.

Hi disneygrandma! I am not an owner at HHIR, but I have stayed there numerous times and loved HHI so much that we moved here last year! That aside, the beach is beautiful. The area from the dunes to the water can be quite a bit of distance during low tide. The sand is hard packed to where the water level reached during high tide, but as the day rolls along it does get softer. There is ample area to put your chair down and your toes in the sand if you are concerned that you will be uncomfortable. Part of the unique beauty of HHI beaches is the ability to be able to ride your bike up and down the beach for miles. If you are looking for soft Caribbean sand this would not be what you will find here. But I think you will love it as much as we do.

Hi disneygrandma! I am not an owner at HHIR, but I have stayed there numerous times and loved HHI so much that we moved here last year! That aside, the beach is beautiful. The area from the dunes to the water can be quite a bit of distance during low tide. The sand is hard packed to where the water level reached during high tide, but as the day rolls along it does get softer. There is ample area to put your chair down and your toes in the sand if you are concerned that you will be uncomfortable. Part of the unique beauty of HHI beaches is the ability to be able to ride your bike up and down the beach for miles. If you are looking for soft Caribbean sand this would not be what you will find here. But I think you will love it as much as we do.
Forgot about locals!! Thanks for your reply :)

I would recommend checking out the DHHIR owners page thread for more images.

As a DHHIR owner, we enjoy the Palmetto Dunes beach a the Disney Beach House.
The sand it harder near the water/tide and softer near the dunes.
The sand is great to build and dig, plus tide pools are formed during the tide changes.

We love spending time on the beach.

This beach is different than Disney's Vero Beach Resort.

So would you say that other beach areas on Hilton Head Island would be similar to the beach area at Disney's Beach House? I've looked at pictures for a lot of the resorts up and down the coastline there, and most show pictures of nice sand. If the beach areas are similar, then maybe all the pics were taken at high tide?

Thanks again for all the info. It's all great to know!

HHI is the best beach I have ever been to! We love that we can walk or ride bikes on it, plus just walk comfortably. Vero is the worst beach! Sorry, Vero Beach lovers!!! It is slanted and hard to walk on. HHI is flat and very wide. Yes, it is packed close to the shoreline (making walking/riding bikes easier), but it is soft closer to the dunes, as others have said. I don't think the Disney beach is any different than any other beach on the island. I would take the review with a grain of salt (or sand, lol). Some people just like to be negative.

I think lots of people have "their beach" . We adore HHI and love the Disney resort - so much that after our first stay there we bought a resale contract to get home resort advantage. All that being said, I'm not a big fan of the beach itself. I actually agree with the assessment that the beach is packed down and hard. For years, we vacationed on the Outer Banks of NC and that is what we are used to. I love to walk on the beach down near the surf. The first time we went to HHI I was very disappointed that it was so hard and uncomfortable to walk on. I like the feel of soft sand between my toes, I guess. However it does not diminish our love of the island and the resort. We just don't spend a lot of time at the beach, but then we usually go in the cooler months so it's not much of a loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter