Hurricane Dorian - SWA/Delta/AA/JB waivers available

Well with the track change up the coast I’ve changed my flight to come into Atlanta Tuesday 9/3 and we’ll drive to Disney Wednesday morning. Even though we changed cities SW did the change for us at no addition cost/points. SW has the best customer service of any of the airlines!!
I would sure look at this morning's information and follow the storm closely. You might be driving through a Category 3 hurricane...IF your flight's not canceled.

Flying to Tampa or Miami would be a much shorter drive and a much more reliable trip...if those are options. SWA doesn't fly to Miami, but they do fly to FLL and probably to Ft. Myers or Sarasota/Bradenton.

Is anyone here now and planning to leave tomorrow ahead of storm re-thinking their decision??? More importantly does it seem possible that MCO will be open and SWA flying on Wed?

More importantly does it seem possible that MCO will be open and SWA flying on Wed?
I think both of those are EXTREMELY unlikely. I think MCO called it just right.

You have to look at tropical storm wind probabilities, not the storm track. If the storm does, in fact, pass by offshore, Orlando is still going to get a lot of wind and rain.

There is also a shutdown and restart process. It's not like locking and unlocking your front door. Shutting down and restarting a major airport takes hours.

I'm supposed to fly to Orlando from Texas on Thursday night (9/5) and return Monday morning (9/9) on American. I know the hurricane will be gone by then & MCO will be open. But I don't have experience traveling so soon after a hurricane, so I can't judge if American's flights will be running on time and everything will be functional again just a few days after the storm, or if it will take a week for airlines to get back to normal. I don't want to cancel my trip, but I'd much rather cancel it now and make other plans at home for next weekend than spend Thursday and then Monday (9/9) in endless delays at the airport, getting bumped from flights, or getting back late and missing work and other obligations at home after my trip. Anyone have much experience with travel at MCO and hurricanes who can give some advice?

I would sure look at this morning's information and follow the storm closely. You might be driving through a Category 3 hurricane...IF your flight's not canceled.

Flying to Tampa or Miami would be a much shorter drive and a much more reliable trip...if those are options. SWA doesn't fly to Miami, but they do fly to FLL and probably to Ft. Myers or Sarasota/Bradenton.

From what I’ve seen so today Atlanta is not going to get hit. It’s outside the cone. Coming down 75 until Gainesville looks clear now so if I have to get off 75 and go on a route along the west coast down to I-4 then I will. All the airports you’ve mention are on SW list to expect delays or cancelations so I’m going to stick to this plan for the time being.

From what I’ve seen so today Atlanta is not going to get hit. It’s outside the cone. Coming down 75 until Gainesville looks clear now so if I have to get off 75 and go on a route along the west coast down to I-4 then I will. All the airports you’ve mention are on SW list to expect delays or cancelations so I’m going to stick to this plan for the time being.
Just keep an eye on the storm. My gut tells me you'll be okay -- but it's a hurricane and they are pretty unpredictable.

I have a flight out of Tampa on the 5th on southwest. I want to take a risk and not reschedule. My question is if they cancel flight, will they allow me to rebook without having to pay additional fees.

Apparently three airports are completely closed at this time, and there are numerous flight cancellations at other airports. The closed airports are Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach, and I believe Melbourne.

This situation is obviously fluid and other airports will be closing or having flight cancellations. Here's a pretty good article from The Points Guy, posted about Noon today. The article also contains links to numerous airlines' waiver info.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/hurricane-dorian-bahama-landfall/

Changed my flight to arrive in Tampa tomorrow night. We’ll spend the night there then head over to Disney in the afternoon.

AA just cancelled our flight out of Charlotte on Wednesday!!! But not the return flight on Sunday Sept 8. Hoping I can get refund

AA just cancelled our flight out of Charlotte on Wednesday!!! But not the return flight on Sunday Sept 8. Hoping I can get refund
Check for Thursday. Tuesday night and Wednesday are going to be the worst for Orlando.

Also, watch out for any hotel reservations you have. You might lose a deposit, or the reservation, when you don't show up Wednesday night.

I rebooked to Wednesday since our Tuesday flight was canceled. I'm wondering if I should just axe this whole trip entirely. It feels like it's likely to get canceled again. I'm surprised Southwest didn't cancel both days up front.

Check for Thursday. Tuesday night and Wednesday are going to be the worst for Orlando.

Also, watch out for any hotel reservations you have. You might lose a deposit, or the reservation, when you don't show up Wednesday night.
Just got refund as we were meeting our son there and his business trip got cancelled.. so all good...had already got refunded resort and tickets. Looking forward to rescheduling!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter