Hurricane Irma?

Has anyone else heard of this? My daughter is down there. I had her stay in the condo I had rented for the week thinking it would be safer. She's freaking out a bit. I can't find anything official
I just watched a news interview with the FL gov. He very plainly said for people to just try to move inland or to a safe part of their county. He also was mainly discussing coastal areas, not the entire state. I would say this letter is blown out of proportion. They seem most concerned with people not heeding the warnings in places like the Keys and Miami.

Yes it is and I have family near Naples and Sarasota and I agree with a pp they didn't evacuate as much so I am worried for them. I also have family in the Orlando area and with them being on the East side of the storm is not good news since that is the worse side to be on. I will continue to keep all residents (humans and animals) in my thoughts. I hope everyone there stays safe.
hugs & prayers

I live in Murfreesboro TN, about 30 miles south of Nashville. I went out to do some shopping today and could not believe the traffic and the number of Florida license plates I saw! The news did say people were evacuating as far north as middle Tennessee, but I was surprised to see the number of cars that I did. On the other hand Jim and I will be heading down to Disney on the 20th.

Angi, to let you know I have been in touch with Lorenzo and Jackie and they are all well prepared! Lorenzo is on the ride out crew, so will be at the Boardwalk from tomorrow until Irma passes by. Jackie will be with her family after working her regular shift. Wish my BW family the best!
Thank you! I was wondering. And we saw that Regdie has left for his trip to Japan.

I live in Tampa. My family has done all we can to prepare, and now it feels strange just to sit and wait. I moved all my husband's stuff into my closet so we can turn his closet into a hurricane room if necessary, since it's the only downstairs, inner, windowless room in the house. I've got tons of water, and enough Spaghettios, Cliff bars, and fruit cups to feed an army. The freezer is full of gallon jugs of water and I've got my biggest cooler clean and ready. I've made a video of the house and all our possessions for insurance purposes. We brought the pool furniture and the plants into the garage. All the laundry is done. Valuables and sentimental items are protected. I'll fill all the sinks and tubs with water Sunday evening. The cars are full of gas. I have an emergency bag packed and in the car in case we have to leave for the local shelter. Irma is not supposed to be coming for two more days and I don't know what else to do! If you think of something I forgot let me know! :-)

Of course I'm concerned for my family and my friends and neighbors, but I also feel bad for all whose Disney plans have been messed up. I know how much I treasure my vacations and I would be very upset if this happened to me. Of course people's lives and homes are more important than people's vacations, but vacations are important too.

I wish everyone at or coming to Disney the best (and safest) possible vacation under the circumstances, and for those who have had to postpone your trips, I hope it all works out for you and you eventually go and have a wonderful time. Disney is always worth the wait!
Sounds like you prepared really well. Do you have a generator? During Sandy, we lost power for almost 2 weeks in NJ. Lots of batteries, of course, and a crank radio if you can. My radio was my lifeline when we lost power.

Has anyone else heard of this? My daughter is down there. I had her stay in the condo I had rented for the week thinking it would be safer. She's freaking out a bit. I can't find anything official
Sounds like they are just covering themselves if something happens. I will say if you listen to the governors press conference it seemed a little confusing at time.

Sorry. Central call center gave me a guest number services for Pop to see what they were showing on their end and also another number for tech support to call. When they answer it is Disneys Pop guest services.
When they answer, you are talking to someone in a call center.

This is just unbelievably irresponsible of that resort.

(The original post contains an attachment with a letter from Wyndham Bonnet Creek claiming that the governor has asked for a "full evacuation" of the state, which is both untrue and logistically impossible.)

My thoughts are with everyone in FL and at Disney right now. I can't imagine saving, planning, then arriving at an amazing trip to have it interrupted by a tragic hurricane. For those of you stuck in your rooms- I started thinking about what I would do with my kids and wanted to share. I haven't read through every post on this thread so sorry if these have been mentioned before...

To pass the time with my kids I would...

-buy Disney board games from the resort store. Disney monopoly is not only fun, but also takes a looooong time to complete

-build a fort in the hotel room. Heck I may make a contest out of it and see who can build the best fort

-I would go to the Lego store at Disney springs tomorrow and get one heck of a set to put together

-Legos are expensive! If on a tighter budget- pick up a few puzzles from Disney springs. There's likely a store that has some, right?

-crayons! Paper! Ask the front desk for some. If they don't have any ask for a couple kids menus at a TS and crayons

-books! Try to find a copy of kingdom keepers and read it with each other. Kid and adult friendly!

-Talk about what you want to do when the parks open back up

-if you have kids- grab kids Tylenol from the resort store- just in case. My kids always get sick at the most inconvenient times

-pick up yummy Disney treats to have in the room

Please know that there are people who are thinking about you and wishing you all the best!!!!

I said Day 1 in reference to a new account, sorry! I have no problems with new members, the more the merrier! I do wonder about folks who choose to create a brand new account to immediately post disparaging comments toward others on this thread.

Not disparaging, only truthful. This storm is a monster, and people need to stay safe, not actively travel into the danger zone.

Sounds like you prepared really well. Do you have a generator? During Sandy, we lost power for almost 2 weeks in NJ. Lots of batteries, of course, and a crank radio if you can. My radio was my lifeline when we lost power.

I wish we had a generator and/or a crank radio. We're going to use our phones and laptops sparingly to check news once we lose power and once those die there's always the car. Luckily we live in a very friendly community and everyone is staying. I'm sure we'll all pass on news to each other.

I wish we had a generator and/or a crank radio. We're going to use our phones and laptops sparingly to check news once we lose power and once those die there's always the car. Luckily we live in a very friendly community and everyone is staying. I'm sure we'll all pass on news to each other.
We didn't have one either before Sandy and a neighbor lent us one. It helped so much. Thinking of you and your family. Please stay safe. Can you check in with everyone here during/after the storm to let us know you are ok?

Park Closings

• Magic Kingdom: Closing on Saturday at 9:00 pm.Happily Ever After fireworks on Saturday is cancelled.
  • Epcot: Closing on Saturday at 9:00 pm – Monday. Illuminations: Reflections of Earth on Saturday is cancelled.
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios: Closing on Saturday at 7:00 pm – Monday. Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular and Fantastmic! on Saturday is cancelled.
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Closing on Saturday at 7:00 pm – Monday. Rivers of Light on Saturday is cancelled.
  • All parks will be closed Sunday and Monday. Pending damage assessment Disney World hopes to reopen parks on Tuesday, September 12.
Other Closures

• Disney Springs: Closing on Saturday at 9:00 pm – Monday.
  • Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park will closed Friday-Monday.
  • Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon: Closing on Saturday at 5:00 pm – Monday.
  • ESPN Wide World of Sports: Closed Saturday – Monday.
  • Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will be closed Saturday, September 9 at 2:00 pm. In addition, Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ will be canceled on Saturday September 9, Sunday September 10, and Monday September 11.
  • The Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs will be closed beginning Saturday, September 9 at 2:00 pm.
  • Disney’s Vero Beach on the east coast of Florida will be closing at 2:00 on Friday, September 8, 2017. No word on how Disney is handling the evacuation of its guests.
  • Orlando International Airport will stop flights on Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 5:00 pm. Orlando Sanford airport, will close at 5:15 pm on Saturday, September 9. Both airports have not stated when they will re-open. They will likely assess any damage and make that decision after the storm goes through Central Florida. If you have been affected with the airport closures, contact your airline for more information.
Dining Updates

• Effective immediately Disney will not be enforcing dine reservation cancelation policies so there is no need to cancel dine reservations through Monday, September 11.
  • Pre-paid dining and premium experiences will automatically be cancelled and refunded.
Cancellations

Disney has announced that the Night of Joy concerts at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex on September 9 has been cancelled. The Friday concerts planned for Friday, September 8 will still run as scheduled. Those guests with Night of Joy tickets for Saturday can attend Friday’s event instead by exchanging their tickets at the Wide World of Sports ticket office starting at 4:00 pm on Friday. Those who are not able to attend either night, may request a refund. Those requests for a full refund will be honored.

Also, Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party has been cancelled for Sunday, September 10. The event will take place as planned on Thursday, September 7. Guests are invited to exchange their Sunday, September 10 ticket for one of the following options:

• Tickets to attend another Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party
  • Tickets to attend an upcoming Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
  • 1 Day Magic Your Way Tickets with Park Hopper Option, to be used within the next 2 years.
  • Receive a full refund for event tickets.
To redeem these offers, Guests should call (407) 939-7818 by January, 2018 between the hours of 7:00 am – 11:00 pm or email Disney at Ticket.Inquiries@DisneyWorld.com. Have your tickets available when contacting Disney.

Disney’s Hurricane Policy

Disney has a Hurricane Policy in place. Here is the official policy:

If a hurricane warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area—or for your place of residence—within 7 days of your scheduled arrival date, you may call in advance to reschedule or cancel your Walt Disney Travel Company Magic Your Way vacation package and most room only reservations (booked directly with Disney) without any cancellation or change fees imposed by Disney.

If you have products and services provided by third-party suppliers included in your vacation—such as airlines, hotels, car rental agencies or vacation insurance companies—you will continue to be responsible for any non-refundable payments, as well as cancellation or change fees assessed by those suppliers. The policy does not apply to certain special events or dining experiences.

This policy also applies to Disney’s Vero Beach Resort or Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort in the event a hurricane warning is issued for those destinations.

If you need to cancel a reservation due to a hurricane you need to be aware of the rescheduling policy. Here is the policy:

Disney cannot guarantee availability of similar accommodations for the new travel dates. All amounts you paid to Disney for rooms, theme park tickets, dining plans and other Disney products and services will be applied toward your new reservation.

Any discounts or special offers applicable to your original confirmed vacation will not apply to the rescheduled vacation travel dates. You are responsible for applicable package pricing for the new vacation dates.

Well duh, but every flight would be flying north away from the storm. If the hurricane tops out at 20mph a plane will quickly escape it.
Regarding the early closure of MCO tomorrow - Other posts have noted MCO and the airlines' desire to get the planes out of there so the planes aren't stuck and personnel can begin to secure the airport. I'm no aviation expert, but would also add that airlines have a maximum crosswind limit for aircraft to land. The limit usually is around 30 knots (about 35 mph - although note that talking about a 35 mph crosswind is not the same as talking about a 35 mph windspeed since the former depends on the wind direction). Due to the size of Irma, MCO should start seeing crosswinds in that range long before the worst part of the storm arrives. As a matter of safety, the edges of the storm may contain winds that exceed the maximum crosswind limit for landings. And that's not even accounting for the unpredictability of a hurricane's wind speed and direction.

As for why Disney would allow guests to walk around until 9 pm while MCO closes at 5 pm, both are safety issues but of different magnitude. Here's an imperfect experiment: next time there's sustained winds of around 35 mph, go outside and walk down the sidewalk for 100 yards. Remember how this feels. Then get in the car, hit the interstate, find a barren straight stretch and get it up to 150-200 mph (I'm assuming we all own ferraris here on Dis), which is the typical landing speed of commercial aircraft. Compare the wind's effects at those speeds with the earlier walk - there's likely to be a very big difference.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter