Hurricane Irma?

Orange County has a curfew in place from Sunday at 7pm to Monday at 6pm. I think that means all traffic has to be off the roads by then, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Orange County has a curfew in place from Sunday at 7pm to Monday at 6pm. I think that means all traffic has to be off the roads by then, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
They said on the news, anyone caught outside during curfew will be arrested.

Well, we're out. Got an email from southwest that all flights out of Indy are cancelled for Wednesday departures and there was nothing else available for Thursday and they are thinking of canceling Thursday flights as well. The trip was really starting to not feel right, and it is best most likely in the long run. I just had an employee quit unexpectedly(it's a good thing really) and with the shear magnitude of this storm, even though Florida relies on tourist dollars, I can not justify trying to drive in and take resources from natives who are trying to recover. I need to call DVC and get my points back. Looks like a January trip is on the horizon. Stay safe to those in Florida or in irmas path.

Well, we're out. Got an email from southwest that all flights out of Indy are cancelled for Wednesday departures and there was nothing else available for Thursday and they are thinking of canceling Thursday flights as well. The trip was really starting to not feel right, and it is best most likely in the long run. I just had an employee quit unexpectedly(it's a good thing really) and with the shear magnitude of this storm, even though Florida relies on tourist dollars, I can not justify trying to drive in and take resources from natives who are trying to recover. I need to call DVC and get my points back. Looks like a January trip is on the horizon. Stay safe to those in Florida or in irmas path.

Whoa. Was it a direct flight? We're booked out of Columbus on Wednesday and no cancellation yet...

We came to a similar decision and it helped alleviate so much anxiety and stress. We were originally scheduled to fly on Monday, then we pushed back to Thursday and finally we felt it best to delay for a few months. We fully intend to continue supporting the Florida tourism industry, but we too felt that it wasn't the best choice immediately after Irma passes. We'll be at WDW over Christmas for the firsT time ever :)

I'm sorry that you can't make it. I'm surprised that the flights would be cancelled so early before anybody knows what will be the outcome.

Whoa. Was it a direct flight? We're booked out of Columbus on Wednesday and no cancellation yet...

Yup. It was Indy to MCO at 7:30 arriving at 9:45, and it and all other flights were cancelled. I specifically asked if there were later flights getting in, I was told no, and that they are expecting to cancel Thursday flights.

Maybe they were picking different airports and you're safe. I did a search from Indy to MCO, midway to MCO, and St Louis to MCO and all flights were sold out from Tuesday to Friday. Maybe the are worried about not enough flight crews or just getting into MCO. Oh, well. At least I have my family and our home.

We came to a similar decision and it helped alleviate so much anxiety and stress. We were originally scheduled to fly on Monday, then we pushed back to Thursday and finally we felt it best to delay for a few months. We fully intend to continue supporting the Florida tourism industry, but we too felt that it wasn't the best choice immediately after Irma passes. We'll be at WDW over Christmas for the firsT time ever :)

That is what our thoughts were when I couldn't get us in. Plus with DVC and no availability we just think it's best to wait and spend more when we go the next time.

I'm sorry that you can't make it. I'm surprised that the flights would be cancelled so early before anybody knows what will be the outcome.

Me too, but I am trying to just think about the positive side. It will be ok, I just pray for all those who live in Florida.

New 11pm NHC track

wBBFdsq.png

Highlights from the forecast discussion
  • Hurricane Hunters & Air Force reconnaissance observed winds at 110mph to 120mph
  • The track has shifted ever so slightly more to the west
  • The interaction with Cuba has affected the storms structure and intensity
  • The NHC wants to get the full Air Force data set before lowering the intensity any further so it stands at 120mph (Category 3)
  • If Irma goes through an eye wall replacement cycle in the next 6-12 hours there is potential for strengthening
  • In about 24 hours Irma will encounter wind sheer that is forecast to increase from 24-48 hours
  • This along with interaction with the west coast of Florida should have a weakening affect
LINK: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/100258.shtml?

An observation of mine, nearly every forecast discussion has ended with "Irma is still expected to be a strong Category 4/5 storm when it makes landfall". However, the 5pm and 11pm forecast discussions today have altered this language to:
Irma is still expected to approach the Florida Keys and Florida west coast as a major hurricane, and combined with its large size, will produce significant storm surge flooding in those areas.

It appears they are cautiously optimistic that the intensity forecast is not as ominous as was thought originally.

11pm update. Predicting for Orlando tropical storm winds Sunday daytime. Hurricane Force (75+) Sunday night into Monday morning. These are still only predictions. Still no idea where landfall will be

The national channels gave their entire coverage today as a continual PSA with a parade of officials begging peop,e to evacuate. Which I think is good for them. The poor governor can barely put 2 words together. He has been continually the voice and face of living through it.

I just want to vent for a moment. I hope it's ok. I've been in this thread since page 39. It definitely relates to irma.

Foreword - (What I am upset about doesn't compare to the negative impact in people's daily lives that will be or have been affected by the storm. I know this. Most things we get upset about in life are small when compared to someone's elses turmoil in life. However, it's human nature to still feel sadness and disappointment over things that affect us in a negative way in our own lives no matter how small in comparison.)

I have been looking forward to this Disney trip for 3 years. My husband is not a Disney nut and we have agreed to go every 3 years. The last time we were there was in 2014. Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed of going with my own family. I remember seeing families at Disney and thinking I can't wait to be that family someday.

We have a 4 year old daughter and a 17 month old son. Lately, things haven't been great between me and my husband. We have had a lot of stressors. We havent done much as a family and havent been on vacation in 2 years. This trip was my light at the end of the tunnel.

Fast forward to Thursday. We are packed and on our way to the airport when we see the latest euro model and painfully cancel. I was able to reschedule but now my husband cannot go because of work obligations (he's self employed). I am devastated. I have been crying on and off since. We needed this vacation. Now it will be a year or two before we can go again as a family. Tomorrow is our 6 year anniversary and all we have been doing is arguing.

So with all that, I would just like to say, I hate you Irma!

I just want to vent for a moment. I hope it's ok. I've been in this thread since page 39. It definitely relates to irma.

Foreword - (What I am upset about doesn't compare to the negative impact in people's daily lives that will be or have been affected by the storm. I know this. Most things we get upset about in life are small when compared to someone's elses turmoil in life. However, it's human nature to still feel sadness and disappointment over things that affect us in a negative way in our own lives no matter how small in comparison.)

I have been looking forward to this Disney trip for 3 years. My husband is not a Disney nut and we have agreed to go every 3 years. The last time we were there was in 2014. Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed of going with my own family. I remember seeing families at Disney and thinking I can't wait to be that family someday.

We have a 4 year old daughter and a 17 month old son. Lately, things haven't been great between me and my husband. We have had a lot of stressors. We havent done much as a family and havent been on vacation in 2 years. This trip was my light at the end of the tunnel.

Fast forward to Thursday. We are packed and on our way to the airport when we see the latest euro model and painfully cancel. I was able to reschedule but now my husband cannot go because of work obligations (he's self employed). I am devastated. I have been crying on and off since. We needed this vacation. Now it will be a year or two before we can go again as a family. Tomorrow is our 6 year anniversary and all we have been doing is arguing.

If he is self-employed (his own boss), why can't he just take a vacation after this?

That is a sad story! I'm so sorry. I wouldn't be able to handle that with all the planing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter