Hurricane Irma?

My family is scheduled to arrive on the 7th (Thurs). We are supposed to be at WDW until Sunday and then hop on a cruise. My TA called this morning and she let me know around 11 that the policy was in effect and that I would receive my full money back to apply to another date. Going to wait until late tomorrow or early Thurs to decide.

This is probably a gross and selfish question, but it's something bothering my wife and me. Is there a precedent for a big storm such as this to delay ride refurb? Splash Mountain is our favorite ride, and our trip is (coincidentally) starting the day the refurb is ending. Is there a chance we're gonna be SOL with Splash?

Don't worry, if I was going when the Splash Mountain refurb was ending this might be my first question too!

This is probably a gross and selfish question, but it's something bothering my wife and me. Is there a precedent for a big storm such as this to delay ride refurb? Splash Mountain is our favorite ride, and our trip is (coincidentally) starting the day the refurb is ending. Is there a chance we're gonna be SOL with Splash?
I don't think that has ever been tracked. I'd imagine that it would depend on the extent of any damage to the area and the number of trades people needed to repair that, plus the extent that those trades people would otherwise be woking on the refurb.

In the past MCO has closed the airport several hours before the hurricane was slated to go through. They have typically re-opened 24-36 hours later. That was our experience with Hurricane Matthew. MCO was closed for about 34 hours.

An example from Harvey - it made landfall as a Category 4 storm late on August 25th quite close to the Corpus Christi airport, which is significantly smaller than Orlando. It closed in the morning on Aug 25th and reopened the morning of August 27th.

In no way am I trying to make light of the impacts of Harvey, or the potential impacts of Irma, just pointing out the facts.

Thanks! I'm wondering if we should have a good sense by Thursday of whether we should move our flights? Or does that news come in later? I just have no experience with these storms and I know they can change speed and trajectory without much notice.

Grocery report: went to do my regular grocery shopping at Publix. The only thing they did not have was gallons of water, they still had the big packs of individual bottles, they are getting restocked daily.
I already have 2 gallons at home from my annual hurricane kit preparedness I do every June, have my weather radio, batteries. non perishable food. Unless the storm takes a turn towards us and decides to do a Charlie we are not evacuating.
If you are coming and the storm strikes us please remember to pack extra patience and be extremely kind to all CM, they will probably need to stay at the resorts for the duration of the storm and after until we get an all clear from local government, they will not be able to be with their families and instead make sure your family is safe and well taken care of

Yes, yes, yes, it's very strong. No one is debating that. The question is HOW STRONG will it be when it hits Florida or Orlando? So far I have seen NOTHING that puts top wind speeds in Orlando at ANYTHING close to 180mph. Most are 50mph or less, and while that's not a light breeze, it's not something to panic over. If it actually DOES go up the middle of Florida it will be even MORE dissipated by the time it reaches Orlando, but the models I am seeing have it either tracking up the east coast or going into the gulf and only hitting the tip of the panhandle.

50mph winds are tropical storm force on the Safir Simpson scale.

I can't imagine that a storm which is not forecasted to go over land masses containing mountains (which break apart hurricanes) but is staying over very warm energy producing waters for the next few days , will weaken to a tropical storm once hitting land in florida.
I watched Mike Boylan's (Mikes Weather Page on FB & twitter) livestream last night & he had allot of very good info. He said that the storm will be passing over very flat water laden land in the everglades which will help it stay together as a hurricane - likely still a major. It's size will also keep feeder bands out over open water on either coast - lessening the chance of dissipation quickly.

Just read that forecasters are predicting that Central Florida will begin to feel Irma's approach this Friday evening as the storm force winds ahead of Irma's landfall reach the Orlando area. Keep an eye on info for MCO cancellations etc. should that be the case

It's one thing if you live somewhere already. It's another thing if you are going into a region that is forecast to get a hurricane. That is optional. Especially when WDW has a hurricane policy and you can reschedule.
But the reality is that right now, nobody knows where it will hit. It's too soon to say, and if I change my plans it's still entirely possible that Orlando doesn't get any of the storm. It's all still a big "maybe" and not worrisome enough for me to cancel.

Each hurricane is different and it's important to remember this. Hurricane Charley hit Orlando with 106 mph winds, even though it came ashore on the west coast with winds around 150 mph. It also slowed down and did some major damage in the area. Matthew could have done more damage than it did had it not stayed offshore. Even Andrews effects were felt all the way up here in Central Florida, with some pretty nasty squalls that downed trees and knocked out power. You just never know and it is much better to be safe than sorry.

Stores are running out of things quickly, so keep that in mind if you're headed down here.

No one knows where its going but you can actually say that up until the moment it hits land. MANY storms have bounced on and off shore and ended up in a different place. One thing they all seem to be agreeing on is that its coming at Florida in some direction. I agree that some could wait a couple of days before deciding to know more about what Orlando will experience.

I do not have a trip planned right now so I don't actually have a dog in the hunt, but for those of you wondering, IF it was me (and I notice a few others that go through these things a lot have said the same thing), I would cancel or try to reschedule, UNLESS this storm weakens immensely or comes into Florida in a way that it will weaken considerably before it gets to Orlando. Also, the wind speed that it may be at Orlando is important but how fast the storm is moving is too. If the storm sits over one spot blowing 50-100 mph winds and dumping rain, you can expect a lot of damage. Also, its not exact in knowing what the wind speeds will be in Orlando. How long its over land, how fast its moving and other things determine that. I am surprised at there being reports of that right now when they don't even know where its coming on land.

I live 81.7 miles from where Katrina made landfall in Waveland, MS. We had a tremendous amount of damage. Were without water for a few days, cell service for a week and power for weeks. The damage was severe. I am not saying that will happen in Orlando, I am saying it can happen. We evacuated before the storm to dh's aunt's home which is 181 miles from Waveland. And we had to drive the 100 miles home, very slowly while trees were cut out of the road ahead of us, all along the way power poles were down and everyone was without power and cell service, some without water. And if those things do happen it could make for a very miserable trip. The storm is scary but the aftermath, even inland can be very uncomfortable to put it mildly.

I say all that to say this; I may not would cancel today and wait until the last possible minute to do so just in case, but if this storm comes in Florida and is going over Orlando, I would cancel. Its not worth the risk. And after living with the whole no power, no water thing. . . yeah, wouldn't want to do that anywhere but home.

So sorry about Katrina. Waveland took the worst hit and no one ever talks about it. Being from NOLA I promise we do know how bad it was for you.

I agree with everything you said. As I said before, no way would I be heading to FL this weekend.

Okay. I am finally going to post my thoughts.

First things first I am suppose to be in Disney 7 to 13. So a few days before and a few days after.

1) Gov. Scott has declared a state of emergency. I think it is rather shortsighted and mean-spirited that the airlines and travel companies have not started to enact their hurricane policy without the watches/warnings. The last thing Florida needs is 10's of thousands of extra people to worry about on the heels of a major strike not even a fortnight ago. FEMA and other agencies should be helped in any way possible so that this burden to help is lessened so that the most in need get the help they deserve. Dozens of cruise ships are suppose to be leaving on new adventures this weekend. Anyone can see that no matter the path they will be impacted. Not allowing flexibility to your clientele is a great way to get bad press and turn off a potential long term customer.

2) Right now I am going but if things continue to deteriorate I am going to cancel tomorrow. I do not want to risk life and limb nor put others in danger to help me because of a vacation. It will be a disappointment but there are more important things in life.

Folks, I keep seeing Disney is ready and will be prepared.

While that might be true to a degree, this could be something like they've never seen.

Worth noting while Disney may be prepared that doesn't mean their employees are. Keep that in mind if mandatory evacuations are told to Orlando area.

Southwest has extended their no fee change dates through 9/11. I just rebooked my late Sunday flight home to CT to Wednesday.

If Southwest did it I assume most of th others will follow soon.

It updates it to include all of Florida? That's pretty great customer service.

Grocery report: went to do my regular grocery shopping at Publix. The only thing they did not have was gallons of water, they still had the big packs of individual bottles, they are getting restocked daily.
I already have 2 gallons at home from my annual hurricane kit preparedness I do every June, have my weather radio, batteries. non perishable food. Unless the storm takes a turn towards us and decides to do a Charlie we are not evacuating.
If you are coming and the storm strikes us please remember to pack extra patience and be extremely kind to all CM, they will probably need to stay at the resorts for the duration of the storm and after until we get an all clear from local government, they will not be able to be with their families and instead make sure your family is safe and well taken care of

From what I've heard from Publix workers, they have plenty of water at the warehouse and stores are being restocked every afternoon.

The way it looks now --- if you can use Disney's cancellation policy, take it and reschedule later.

Living on the coast (NC) and getting hit (but not directly) by much smaller storms the past few years, you can still expect at least 24+ hours of heavy rains and winds even if the storm doesn't hit "directly". It may not be "dangerous", but enough to wreck several days of valuable vacation time.

If it hits directly? Probably wouldn't want to be there anyway.

Any word on Night of Joy? Trying to figure out plans for family traveling 7th-11th. Can change Southwest flights if needed, but not sure about concert tickets and room.

I'm in NE FL (near Jax) and the Walmart Neighborhood Market up the road from my house is completely out of water, bread, buns and milk. I forgot to check the strawberry poptarts...

Both Lowe's and Home Depot up the road are out of generators and tarps.

The weathermen here are telling people to make plans right now, and to either get stocked up or get ready to move out by Friday.

Once we get an idea of what Irma is doing, then I'll get things locked down here.
Clean out the garage to park both our car and DD's in it, along with the trashcans. Clean up GS's outdoor toys.

Fill the 5 gal water jugs (our tap water at home is really amazing, so I have no problems just doing that). I'll get 100 lbs of ice (can fit 40 lbs in each cooler with room for cold/frozen foods; another 15-20 in our big 5 gallon drink cooler; already have 8 lbs in there now).

We'll need to pick up a last can of formula for GS (he's being moved to milk, but if we lose power, we won't have milk) and another pack of diapers (but he would need those this weekend regardless). I just went grocery shopping, and I bought some canned soup, ramen, and chili for my lunches this month, so we can eat those. I have a freezer of food, (the hardest thing to cook in there is a package of t-bones and several pork tenderloins) so we are good there; just will pick up some more bread (or stuff to make some and just do that before we get hit) and fresh veg/fruit and prewash it all.

We have the camping gear, so I have a large camp stove that runs on the big propane tanks, a small campstove that runs on the little ones, and several backpacking stoves that run on whatever their fuel source is (which is good for making ramen or heating soups), if we lose power after.

Board up windows..DH is getting the stuff on the way home from work tonight and will put them up later. He is picking up some glow sticks and a couple more flashlights, because it seems mine all grow legs and walk away during camping trips.

DD#2 arrives back from her Japan trip on Thursday afternoon; DH is picking her up at the airport, so GS will have his momma here to help him out.

Skip the little water bottles. Go pick up those 5 gallon bottles for drink coolers. You can get a pump to use them, if you don't have a cooler. They are reusable and are usually the last to go (because people don't want to pay $10 for one).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Maid-5-gal-Water-Bottle/51200565

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Bottle...&sr=8-3&keywords=5+gallon+water+jug+dispenser

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TERAPUMP...-Pump-EXCEPT-GLASS-BOTTLES-BPA-Free/938321270

I have been here a week already, getting our daughter settled for the Disney college program. This will end up extending my trip to two weeks but since I am flying home alone I was especially not willing to risk getting stuck at the airport or with no rooms. The Beach Club concierge saved my room for me for three more nights so now I won't have to move. I have a feeling my daughter will be staying with me too, even though she moved into her apartment today.:teeth:

What part of GA? We live in Winder. We are staying the 7-17th. Leaving at 3:00 am Thursday morning. Praying this storm goes away! If not, I think the Contemporary will be pretty safe and they have an Arcade to keep our girls (and me) entertained :)

Wow! We live in Cleveland. We're leaving when my husband gets off work so we'll be driving through the night and starting at the parks bright and early Thursday! Praying we don't have any bad weather and the storm goes away too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter