Hurricane Irma?

Does anyone know if I were to leave early on my vacation, if I would get a refund on the days that I didn't spend there?

I was originally leaving Monday but more and more I'm thinking of changing to a Sunday morning departure to beat the weather.
Would Disney refund me the extra night I didn't spend in the hotel + dining package + park tickets that were not used?

Im sure the reason you guys are getting charged crazy fees are because they really dont know exactly where this is going yet. If in the next 2 days they said its DEFF hitting Florida or Orlando, I am sure Disney will be more accommodating

If you cancel, your plans are gone. Disney won't (and shouldn't) bump other people who have already reserved FP+ and ADR's to accommodate you choosing to cancel.

yes they most certainly should. they should make some kind of accommodation for those who HAVE to cancel in order to be SAFE. whether they actually will do it or not is a whole different monster. but SHOULD they? yes they should.

Supposed to leave Atlantic city to Tampa airport at 630am sunday. Hoping we can at least get to Florida. Staying two days with family and then Disney reservations begin Tuesday. Hopefully everything will be back to normal Tuesday. What does everyone think about the flight? Think it will be cancelled?

yes they most certainly should. they should make some kind of accommodation for those who HAVE to cancel in order to be SAFE. whether they actually will do it or not is a whole different monster. but SHOULD they? yes they should.

I disagree. This is the reason we are always told to have trip insurance during hurricane season

I feel you. It's not their fault either, though. I guess you or I getting the same reservations 2 weeks from now would probably just mean bumping someone else off theirs who was scheduled to arrive then, which isn't fair either. None of it is fair. I would be more than happy to just go in Nov. and not have to pay the difference but it looks like they ARE charging people the difference in rates which is what is sickening to me. I can deal with not having reserved fast passes but I can't afford to pay the difference for flights AND hotel... I'm so sorry :( I'm just sick over the whole thing.

i know i probably won't get those things but they should most definitely give the rate that people purchased their room and/or package at. it's so wrong to take advantage of a customer like that by making them pay more because they had to cancel over a safety reason.

Has Disney officially announced that they will waive penalty fees for the hurricane?

But how could they? If someone cancels and decides to go during peak season when everything is more expensive and all booked up how would they accommodate that? It's a bad situation all around I understand, but are you saying people who planned trips at another time should be bumped?

From this vantage point, it's almost impossible to say. The track of the storm is still somewhat unclear. WDW may get pounded...or it may just be a somewhat rainy and windy day. From all the models, I think it's safe to say there's going to be damage somewhere, but if there will be issues at WDW is unknown. And if there is, it's not necessarily how bad WDW itself gets hit, it's how their CMs are. If the CMs can't get to work for any variety of reasons, it'll have a major effect even if the parks are unscathed.

Thank you Klayfish. We've been planning and saving for this trip for a long time... Sending positive vibes and pixie dust to all in this situation right now.

For those visiting during the next week and driving, your ability to move about may be impacted by the fact that evacuees will be on the roads, which are few, away from storm. Consider that in your plans.

From Dan Rather - News and Guts

News And Guts
27 mins ·

Miami-dade County starts to announce evacuations ahead of Hurricane Irma. Evacuations will begin by zones tomorrow. Schools are canceled for Thursday and Friday.

Further South in the Florida Keys, schools are closed beginning tomorrow with a mandatory evacuation for visitors and residents.

For many it's already too late to fly out of the state, we have gotten several reports that flights out of South Florida airports are almost all sold out.

The only option to evacuate for those without plane tickets, already in hand, appears to be by car. Problem is, it is still unclear whether the storm will head up the East or West coast of the state. We are watching it closely and will continue to update you.

Before everyone gets their pitchforks out a la "kill the beast" against Disney. There has been no watch or warning for Central Florida yet...last year they started giving full refunds 2 days before the storm was supposed to hit, when we actually had the watches and warnings...here's an article from last year
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/update-disney-waiving-fees-trip-cancellations-due-hurricane-matthew/
I understand 2 days in advance is not a huge time but that is just how these storms operate

So I'm sure it's posted somewhere here and I've over looked it because I skimmed the pages. We are scheduled to fly to MCO on sunday and land around 2ish. Ive planned this trip for our family especially my son and his wife and kids as they've had an incredibly hard year ( several miscarriages, health issues, etc). Anyway are most of you still waiting a few days before deciding what to do? I'm a little nervous because I'd hate to move the trip a few days and not be able to get a flight. I just don't don't know what to do and I'm heartbroken for my son and his family. I know we booked in hurricane season but my son is military and this was the only month we had. Also, I know the military tix are non-refundable and ours HAVE to be used by December, however we won't be able to go back until next yr due to son's military engagements. Will disney work with us and possibly extend the expiration if we have to cancel, since this is out of our hands?

Thanks and I'm so sorry if any of this is redundant and already explained.

I am scheduled to get in right around the same time at MCO. I don't have an answer to your question, sorry! But I'm just waiting and worrying for now. I'm hoping that even if our flight gets delayed we'll still be able to get in sometime Sunday.

For those visiting during the next week and driving, your ability to move about may be impacted by the fact that evacuees will be on the roads, which are few, away from storm. Consider that in your plans.

From Dan Rather - News and Guts

News And Guts
27 mins ·

Miami-dade County starts to announce evacuations ahead of Hurricane Irma. Evacuations will begin by zones tomorrow. Schools are canceled for Thursday and Friday.

Further South in the Florida Keys, schools are closed beginning tomorrow with a mandatory evacuation for visitors and residents.

For many it's already too late to fly out of the state, we have gotten several reports that flights out of South Florida airports are almost all sold out.

The only option to evacuate for those without plane tickets, already in hand, appears to be by car. Problem is, it is still unclear whether the storm will head up the East or West coast of the state. We are watching it closely and will continue to update you.
Totally OT, but I LOVE News and Guts.

Well, after seeing today's forecast we decided that it was best to cancel. We were scheduled to leave early tomorrow morning. DVC member services was excellent and let us move our banked points so we will not lose any. I was also able to get our party tickets refunded.

We have moved our SW flights to LAX instead so now we are going to spend our 25th anniversary trip at DL. It is going to cost us way more oop, since we will have to pay for a room and tickets, we have WDW annual passes, but I think it is the correct decision.

You actually think Disney should bump people from their non hurricane season reservations for people who booked during hurricane season and one actually happened?

I have ressies for later this month and I totally understood when I made them what time of year I am going. It will suck if I have to change them or cancel them altogether but Disney can't and shouldn't bump others out because of my choice of when to go. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter