Hurricane Irma?

don't think getting tix for Tues will be impossible, but have a feeling that party will be super crowded

Aww man. Selfishly I really hope that doesn't happen. I can deal with rain and heat and delayed flights but I really really don't want a fully double packed party.

Ok, I'm seriously stalking every Irma thread and noaa. We are scheduled to arrive from Indy on a nonstop at 5:30pm on the 11th. Normally, I would be getting us in a day early with the possibility of Irma. This won't be possible this time because my sister and I are going to the U2 concert in Indy on the 10th. My question is when does southwest usually open up changes with no fees. There is a non stop flight at 7:30 in the morning on the 11th. I'm not up to spend the $$ yet to change it, so I would just like an idea on when to really stalk. Also, is it better to call or just try to change online. Thanks!

Ok, I'm seriously stalking every Irma thread and noaa. We are scheduled to arrive from Indy on a nonstop at 5:30pm on the 11th. Normally, I would be getting us in a day early with the possibility of Irma. This won't be possible this time because my sister and I are going to the U2 concert in Indy on the 10th. My question is when does southwest usually open up changes with no fees. There is a non stop flight at 7:30 in the morning on the 11th. I'm not up to spend the $$ yet to change it, so I would just like an idea on when to really stalk. Also, is it better to call or just try to change online. Thanks!
Southwest never has change fees you'd just pay the difference. You can do it online pretty easily, it woild be faster than calling.

Honestly, this is just my guess, but if you made your flight earlier then you'd be flying closer to the storm. My guess is *if* it makes landfall in Florida, it would be late 9th / early 10th. This is based on where it's supposed to be on the 8th at 2:00 AM.

upload_2017-9-3_10-38-4.png

Aww man. Selfishly I really hope that doesn't happen. I can deal with rain and heat and delayed flights but I really really don't want a fully double packed party.

Selfish or not, I agree. We have tickets for the following tuesday party as well and if they were to divert the crowd to it I would rather not attend. Sounds miserable.

True....southwest doesn't have change fees, I just thought that when there is a hurricane don't they charge you the difference....maybe I was dreaming that, lol.
Southwest never has change fees you'd just pay the difference. You can do it online pretty easily, it woild be faster than calling.

Also, I have gone through two hurricanes when I lived near Orlando and one aspect that sucked was how fast the shelves in the grocery stores cleared out. If they forecast this to hit, we can pretty much kiss any grocery delivery plans goodbye.

Honestly, this is just my guess, but if you made your flight earlier then you'd be flying closer to the storm. My guess is *if* it makes landfall in Florida, it would be late 9th / early 10th. This is based on where it's supposed to be on the 8th at 2:00 AM.

View attachment 266709

Good point. If it's a fast moving storm that stays out at sea that would be a really good thing. We have changed so many flights and added nights and nothing has ever happened. I just feel like it will be Murphy's Law this time, but regardless of that I pray it stays away from land for everyone in it's possible path.

Flying to MCO 9/12. YC 9/12-9/15. Disney cruise 9/15-9/18. Glad I bought insurance but I sure hope it still goes smoothly. I need this vacation. We only vacation once a year usually and we plan months out. This is just something that can happen..... I remember my trip in

2014 was a mess. Our flight home was canceled. My dad was put into the hospital with complications due to lung cancer. He had just finished his radiation and he thought he was going to get better. I felt so helplesssince we were stranded. We got home and daddy was in a coma. He passed a couple of weeks Later. I wish I could have had that one more day.

We are headed down tomorrow and can't wait!! Only thing that concerns me is the Halloween party for Thursday being crazy crowded if everyone is preparing for no party Sunday. Too bad there's not another one for this week. Rain or shine, we are going to poncho up and have a blast this week!!:cool1:

And I *think* most estimates have any potential effects to the Orlando area being late 10, early 11th.

I'm supposed to fly into MCO on Friday. I'm going to the Night of Joy Friday and Saturday and then MNSSHP Sunday. I have an early flight home Monday morning and have to be back that day for a doctor appointment and an event that evening. I REALLY wish Irma would turn back out to sea!! I don't want to cancel this trip!!

We are headed down tomorrow and can't wait!! Only thing that concerns me is the Halloween party for Thursday being crazy crowded if everyone is preparing for no party Sunday. Too bad there's not another one for this week. Rain or shine, we are going to poncho up and have a blast this week!!:cool1:

I can't imagine the Halloween Party this week would be very crowded even if they do cancel Sunday's. It's the week after Labor Day... ghost town time!

I'm supposed to fly into MCO on Friday. I'm going to the Night of Joy Friday and Saturday and then MNSSHP Sunday. I have an early flight home Monday morning and have to be back that day for a doctor appointment and an event that evening. I REALLY wish Irma would turn back out to sea!! I don't want to cancel this trip!!

As of right now I would think your Friday and Saturday are fine. If it starts to get messy in the forecast you might want to switch your Monday flight to Sunday morning instead. But I definitely wouldn't cancel. Even if you get 2/3 of your trip, that's still great!

By design, the Halloween parties will not be crowded (they might feel crowded, but they are not), unless Disney decides to increase the maximum number of people allowed in.

So here's a first-world-problem question: If the parks do close for 1 day because of the storm, what happens to the fast passes you have scheduled for that day? Do you get to use them again on another day? The main reason I'm asking is because I have FOP scheduled on the 10th.

Nope. They are gone with the winds of the hurricane. Sorry.

We were at Disney during Matthew and there was a mandatory lock down for about 24 hrs and the airport was shutdown for 2 days. These were ordered by Orange County not Disney or MCO. Driving anywhere on the roads, even on Disney property was forbidden by Orange Co and everyone was ordered to stay inside.

So, much of what will happen will depend on the response by the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

At the Poly the Disney staff were great. Regular messages about the curfew status and available services were placed on the phone system.

He passed a couple of weeks Later. I wish I could have had that one more day.
Im so sorry for your loss. My father passed away suddenly while I was away on a vacation too and it just ruined all those memories for us. I hope you have an easy and happy trip this time.

By design, the Halloween parties will not be crowded (they might feel crowded, but they are not)

It's all relative. I hope everyone who wanted to go gets to go. And then, selfishly, I still want the party I go to to be one of the lowest crowds. You're not wrong, I'm just greedy.

We'll be there 9/6-9/17 and have MNSSHP tickets for 9/10. If they have to cancel that night, don't think getting tix for Tues will be impossible, but have a feeling that party will be super crowded. Would love if they went ahead and called it on Wed/Thurs to let people choose between 9/7 or 12.

We're staying at Wydham Bonnet Creek and haven't seen much on hurricane procedures (remove patio furniture and keep curtains closed)

We will be at wbc 9/8-9/15. I'm also wondering how they handle a hurricane.

Arriving 9/11 afternoon. If need be, what would be better, changing our flight to come in before - maybe late Sat night, or changing it to Tues (or Wed)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter