• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am torn about the DP-Need Advice

schoen

DIS Veteran
I have been going over this for months. In a few weeks we are going to WDW and staying at the BWV on DVC points. We are going during free dining, but obviously that won't be given to me, as I have DVC. I am currently signed up for the DP, but I can cancel at any time (or at least I think I can). I just don't know what to do.

We are going to Victoria and Alberts for our anniversary/Husbands B-day so there is one TS dinner that we will not use.

We would likely use the extra for dinner at Cali Grill (DH has always wanted to go there)

When we go we generally eat at a TS place for lunch and dinner, because for us eating is half the fun! If we purchase the DP we would obviously do most of our lunches at CS (although we would pay OOP for Beaches and Cream and ESPN which are favorites for us)

I just went through the menus though and priced out what we would "normally" likely order and it came out to less food for more money. I only priced out dinner. We would have all lunches in addition to this.
I just don't know what to do. I think I am leaning towards getting the plan, but I would be interested to hear what advice other have.

Thanks!

Since eating is such a big part of your vacation, I think you should do the dining plan. It's just the opposite for us. In 13 years of going to WDW we've NEVER eaten at a TS restaurant (we've also never stayed onsite). On our next trip we'll have free dining, so we'll have a chance to try out some really great restaurants, but would not do so if the dining plan weren't free. (I realize that technically it isn't free and you have to do "fuzzy Disney math", but you know what I mean). If we had to pay for the plan, we would not (based on our eating habits). I may be singing a different tune when we get back, however, after having eaten at all of these great places. Very smart marketing by the Disney people!

Since eating is half the fun for you I think I'd go ahead and get the plan, a small adjustment in your eating habits to use a CS rather than a "sit down" and if you check over the menus I'm sure you'll find may to your liking--Tusker House, Sunshine Seasons and Pepper Market come to mind quickly with wonderful options that are not fast food like at all! Using two TS for CG solves the V&A dilemma, and of course if you've looked at the menus you know the value fo the DDP does not need to maxed out to at least break even. I think I'd go with the DDP and venture into new CS territory--it might be fun to try something new!

schoen said:
I just went through the menus though and priced out what we would "normally" likely order and it came out to less food for more money. I only priced out dinner. We would have all lunches in addition to this.
I just don't know what to do. I think I am leaning towards getting the plan, but I would be interested to hear what advice other have.

Thanks!
If the dinners alone offer a savings to you, then why wouldn't you get the dining plan? I'm not sure I understand. :) It's a great deal if you normally eat at least one TS per day.

Even if you still pay for some meals OOP, if you're coming out ahead on the ones you get on the plan, it seems like an easy decision. And there are some really good CS places out there, if you haven't tried many of them. There is a huge thread on CS meals on the plan.

What do you usually do for breakfasts? you can use those CS's for breakfasts or just some times mixed up with some of your lunches and still OOP some of your lunches at ts's. Missing one TS to go to Victoria and Alberts means you have those ts credits to use towards a 2 ts meal (but depending on which one it is you may well want to make that one one of the ones you pay out of pocket for) or towards a lunch.

Do you normally order a full appetizer through desert each at your table service meals? You may find that if you do the big ts for lunch instead of dinner and order the full meal (even if you take the desert with you for a little later) that you wont want another ts for dinner - esp if you arent used to eating so much. Atleast maybe on some of the days.

Our family's dining habits seems very much like yours. We are DVCers and will be going in August, and we're getting the DDP. My family will NOT have a Disney trip without B&C and ESPN, so we will definitely pay OOP for these.
However, I am so looking forward to having that one TS per day with everything taken care of, being able to order whatever we want, etc...., that the plan is worth it for me. We ALSO feel that the dining is a very important part of the trip; my kids are older now, and they enjoy the dining as much as we do. We will be doing one signature meal and probably ESPN (OOP) to save the 2nd TS credit. We'll do CSs for some of the lunches (heard good things about Pecos Bill's, Flame Tree, and Tusker House), and we really enjoy Sunshine Seasons. Then we'll probably have B&C for lunch. I am really excited about having the DP option this year!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter