I base where I stay on the AP discount so...

frankiemom

DIS Veteran
The past 3 years I was fortunate to stay at the Poly because the AP discounts were good. How can I book this new way online if I don't know the discount? If the discount is good I will stay at the Poly again but if not I will have to stay at a moderate. So if I put a deposit on the Poly and the discount is not that deep then I cannot switch to a moderate without being penalized. Does this make sense?

Yes it makes sence so why not book for a moderate and be happy with that rather than having to rely on a discount to stay at teh Poly. I would rather stay at a moderate knowing that I can afford it than not go at all because I can't get a discount to stay in a deluxe but that is just my opinion.

You don't have to book under the new system. You can still book yourself or through a TA and watch for rates to go down and call in to get the adjustment. That's what I plan on doing.

frankiemom said:
The past 3 years I was fortunate to stay at the Poly because the AP discounts were good. How can I book this new way online if I don't know the discount? If the discount is good I will stay at the Poly again but if not I will have to stay at a moderate. So if I put a deposit on the Poly and the discount is not that deep then I cannot switch to a moderate without being penalized. Does this make sense?

It makes complete sense. But times are changing. Prior to 9-11 very few discounts were offered at Disney. Many were seasonal. After 9-11, rooms were empty so deep discounts were offered almost year round. I don't see that happening in the near future.

The new program will benefit the person who will book rack rate at the time of booking and be thrilled to get any additional savings after booking. Of course as the program is updated the actual discount might show up.

and it's one of the main reasons I have a BIG problem with this program. We are the same...we've been staying deluxe since 1999 because of the AP discounts. It's not going to make me happy to gamble away one night's deposit in hopes that I might get a discount. And if I have to switch it to a moderate because I don't get a discount, I'm not sure if I would lose the whole night's deposit or if the $50 modification fee would come into play. Either way, I don't like it and I don't think this is a good system. I wrote the brand manager over the Passholder Program and told him how I feel. I think we all should write and complain. I would give his name out but I don't feel comfortable doing that since I got it from a CM friend....but I encourage all of you to write guest services to voice your concerns.

PamNC

I wouldn't use the new system to book a rack rate reservation. Some of the rates people are posting are discounted. I might give it a shot if I was able to book a rate lower than the AAA rate but slightly higher than the previous AP discounted rates knowing if bookings were lower than expected I'd get an additional discount.

Many times I'll chose between resorts based on available discounts. BC vs YC is a good example. I'd hate to find out I could have gotten a lower rate if I booked the other resort. If I was booking a moderate resort I'd probably book a resort with an available discount.

kandmwedding said:
You don't have to book under the new system. You can still book yourself or through a TA and watch for rates to go down and call in to get the adjustment. That's what I plan on doing.

I was thinking this too, but since the folks on the best rate program get the discounts first, we do have to be concerned that there may not be much, if anything, left after all of the "first in line" folks have their discounts applied. If we thought room availability was limited before, I think we are in for a shocker after this program gets up and running. I don't think they are going to keep 2 separate sections of rooms available. I think that the non-users will just be able to book "whats left."

I do the exact thing as the OP. I pick my stay at where I can get the best discount. Always worked out dandy before. I simply called on the 1st day the AP rates were announced and picked my resort based on best deal.
The person that says you should pick a moderate instead, IMHO, that is just leaving money on the table. There are a lot of people who have stayed at a moderate for the same price as values just using the discounts.
I will most likely not renewing or AP's.

for us, we don't base where we stay on the AP discount simply because you never know if there will be one, what it is, or if any rooms will be left....we book what we can afford and then hope like hell they come out!!

I now base my stay on where I can get the best discount. It really, really bugs me that I paid top $$ for my rooms at WDW for years. (Thanks DISers for giving me my initial heads up!) I look at discounts like this: I'm very greatful for them and don't feel as if I'm entitled to them. However, shopping for hotel rooms is the same as say shopping for a new coat for me. I want to get as much for my money as I can. I also don't want to wait until I'm running my debit card through the machine to find out how much I'm paying!!! This is a very strange way of giving a discount.

SqueakyMouse said:
I now base my stay on where I can get the best discount. It really, really bugs me that I paid top $$ for my rooms at WDW for years. (Thanks DISers for giving me my initial heads up!) I look at discounts like this: I'm very greatful for them and don't feel as if I'm entitled to them. However, shopping for hotel rooms is the same as say shopping for a new coat for me. I want to get as much for my money as I can. I also don't want to wait until I'm running my debit card through the machine to find out how much I'm paying!!! This is a very strange way of giving a discount.

I think it is becoming clear that the initial release of this program was not quite ready for public consumption (go figure...but in this day and age - things spread on the internet like wildfire and can be just as dangerous). I agree that I would not be willing to make reservations at rates that are higher than I could already book with say a AAA discount, but most people have been able to book rates that are at least 25% off rack with the promise that if the rates go lower, you automatically get that discount. For me, this is good enough. I think the chances of rates going down are going to be directly related to how many "Best Rate" people are already signed up for a particular period at a particula hotel. If the hotel is close to booked, there wont be more drops that what you initially signed up for. If there are, we all win.

It will work for my family sometimes, other times we might find ourselves off site some. Either way, I will still get my weekend jaunts to WDW in between our DVC trips and it will be wonderful :) I hope they work the bugs out soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter