"I bought it sight unseen"

When we bought there weren't as many choices - that made for an easier decision.

There was OKW, BWV and VWL. BCV was being sold - but everyone buying that at that point in time was buying "sight unseen" as when we were there is was a bunch of steel girders.

We'd come back from a trip at WL and loved it. We'd have bought there if Disney was still selling it - but they'd moved on to BCV. We got home and discovered resale - but resale prices for WL were above what they were selling BCV direct for - OKW or BWV could be had MUCH cheaper. We'd never seen either. Never been to either resort, never been through the international gateway.

We first made an offer on an OKW resale that fell through, then made an offer on a BWV one. At the time, OKW didn't have a pool slide - and we had young kids - so the first offering falling though - with a similarly priced BWV contract being available, pushed us over the edge.

We never stayed at BW and that's where we bought because the point structure included standard view when we were looking to buy in 2003. I do think we got a good deal at the time, $73 because we didn't take the 2003 points, just waited for the March 2004 to kick in. We bought VWL points also without having stayed there first, but we both love that resort more than any other one.

We bought DVC without ever even visiting WDW! And we didn't buy at GC, either, as I do not like it there (don't like the lobby, don't like the rooms even more). We just knew we would love WDW once we got out there and would want to go again and again. At DLR, we are perfectly happy at HoJo, so if that's where we needed to stay, that would be fine. :)

We're SO glad we jumped in like that! Staying at OKW on our very first visit was incredible! (bought in at Bay Lake but stayed at OKW) It seriously MADE our visit, and we yearn to go back.

Even we think we're crazy for doing it the way we did it, but for a few reasons it was actually THE most perfect thing we could have done, even though we never could have planned all the good that came from it.

We have been going to Disney for over 15 years and did the "tour" 6 years ago. SSR did not sell me since I wanted to be near MK, so once I saw BLT being built I was more then interested. We ended up buying after seeing the model. I have to say I was more then nervous about all the negative reports but after staying there last week in a 2 bedroom I am sooooo happy we bought there! Ironically when touring they showed us the THV and we fell in love, we love the cabins at Ft. Wilderness, so we ended up buying resale SSR! Going to BLT again in Feb then plan on a 10 night split stay THV and BLT in 2012.

In reality I cannot wait to try all the resorts!

We stayed at many of the Disney resorts, and I rented points from a member to stay at the Beach Club Villas. When I got home, I bought at SSR and VWL sight unseen. I didn't need to see it, and having stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, I spoke with owners at VWL who loved it.

That was 5 years ago and I have done several add ons. We love our DVC membership and consider it to be a great vacation investment.

We couldn't do it.

Thought about buying DVC. Stayed one night at AKV by complete accident. Went to a DVC presentation on our cruise. They were selling BLT. We decided to join DVC.

Had everything ready to go, contract and all.

Just couldn't reconcile the fact that we were purchasing somewhere we never saw. It didn't sit right. Couldn't do it. Even though it was cheaper than AKV. Even though you don't have to stay at your home resort. The "Why are we buying somewhere we have NEVER seen?" just wouldn't go away.

We called our guide. Worked it out and are soon-to-be AKV DVC members. :cool1: For us, it was worth the peace of mind to pay a little more than to pay for something we have never ever seen.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I feel like we're probably going to wait until we're in Orlando to do the tour in August of all the DVC resorts. We're very much a "buy where you want to stay" couple.

I don't know if we made the "right" choice, but I have not worried 1 second about it AFTER we switched to AKV, somewhere we have seen and love. Do what makes you comfortable, not what everyone else has done. You are the one that has to live with it. :goodvibes

- Dreams

I was one of the sight unseen purchasers that posted in your other thread.

We hadn't gone on a vacation out of state in 10 years because of my dad being ill. While he was sick he always said he wanted to take his girls to WDW and once he was gone he wanted us to go and celebrate his life.
We planned a trip for DDs bday. Upon planning and knowing we couldn't do it all in one trip and it wasn't fair to not go back for DD#2s bday one year we were then looking at almost $12k because I am an admitted resort snob. For a little more we could buy into DVC and continue to go to WDW for many many years celebrating my Dad's life. So with my inheritance we bought in.

For us it was a way to force us to spend family time together and make memories. I knew Disney would be fine for us for many years to come so we took the plunge never stepping foot on property. If we outgrow Disney we are fine even doing resort trips. We will always rent a car so we would be able to visit other Orlando area attractions.

This is awesome! I hope you have many great years to follow!

People that do this are ones that love WDW. They plan their vacation fairly frequent to Disney and they know what they are getting. I knew when I joined that I could see myself vacationing there for many years.

We also bought in without seeing our home resort - but it seems to fit us like a glove. We stayed at CBR back in Feb '01 and we're blown away by the level of customer service. We also took the DVC tour at the old preview center on the Boardwalk. If our financial situation had been better, we probably would have bought in to VWL, but the time was not right.
In fall '04, we we're planning our next Disney trip, and had even made ressies at CBR, when we found some DVC literature that somehow had stayed with us through two moves. After a call to the guide we talked with three years earlier, we bought SSR through the mail.
My wife and I don't like to fly, and SSR is an excellent location if you have your own car. We stayed in Congress Park in summer '05 and loved it, even though our " view" was of the construction at the Springs, and it's only gotten better. I never would have thought back then that we'd be staying at a refurbished TreeHouse, but we'll be there in June!
I have to agree with rice00. We took three annual trips to SSR before we had kids -- needing more space, we're now going biannually -- and loved it. DVC will work out great, *if* you love WDW enough to go on you own for at least one week per year.

We bought SSR sight unseen, well kind of....We saw it under construction when we were on the boat to DTD from our previous Favorite POFQ.....so wanted to buy there. With the help of these boards and 5 yearly trips we knew we wanted to buy into DVC. At the time, we didn't really care, but wanted the longer contract and lower dues (we bought in 2006). Since then we also bought AKV sight unseen (we are one of the founding members). And then we added on to SSR because we love the THV's. I have loved them since our first stay at POFQ in 2002. The best part of DVC is that there is a great choice of villas, whatever your preference is.

We had stayed (CASH :scared1:) at BWV, LOVED the 1 bedroom space. After I got home I found disboards and a resale shop and did the logical choice of SSR. I think our 10 day trip was 4K ish, so spending 14K for the next 3-4 trips was an easy win.

We picked SSR soley for logic. due to one of the longest experation dates and the cheapest points. I couldn't justify paying more per point for less years when I really don't care where I stay when I am there. I loved BWV and just as much I love FQ. I figured if I hated DVC .. I could use 2-3 yrs of points and sell, for close to what I paid, at least break even. It came with all prev points banked current points and next yrs points coming due soon, so this was kind-a 3 vacations in the price. (We would have stayed onsite anyway so it was just paying up front.)

I have stayed at BWV/BC/AK/ and SSR all on points and love that my room only runs be about 120$ a night for a studio or 200 for a 1 bedroom. (After cost of points divided out with MF.) ZERO regret. ... but I might buy BC points one day too. Not selling my SSR.

We also bought without first seeing, had been to Disney several times already and had also owned another timeshare so we knew the quality of Disneys reputation . Another thing is we don't really care where we stay on property, our home resort, SSR or any other one.

Guilty twice, and lovin' it !

We stayed at Dixie Landings on our first family Disney trip back in 1999. We fell in love with the resort and its quaint charm and lush landscape. After that trip I came across the DVC board here and spent two months researching whether I thought it would work for us. I showed what I had gleaned to my wife and she took another two months to come to believe that this would work for our family. We purchased resale at OKW and have never looked back. As a matter of fact, our first stay there was in a grand villa with the rest of our immediate family. Great Memories ! This resort fits our vacation style perfectly and we continue to enjoy our stays there to this day. I still thank RichYams to this day for all his input
(and he was right about the long hallways at BWV and easy of access to the fridge from the balcony :rotfl:) !

We had stayed at AKL several times before they announced the Villas here. For us this was a no-brainer as the Lodge was our favorite resort outside of OKW. Once they opened it up for purchasing we bought, again sight unseen. Do we enjoy it ? Well. I'm posting this from my 1 bedroom villa overlooking the pool while my wife enjoys her breakfast on the balcony. Life is sweet .....

We bought BLT "sight unseen" although we did get to tour the room mock ups at Doorway to Dreams. We had also stayed at the Contemporary twice before BLT went up so we knew what we were getting into.

We added on at Aulani sight unseen. In fact we've never been to Hawaii. DW really wants to go there, so we made that plunge. Actually the possibility of using our BLT points at Aulani was one of the tipping points for DW in the decision making process. But I got an unexpected freelance project and just decided to go for it.

;) DH and I had only stayed at values ond once at POFQ before our purchase. We didn't realize we were both watching the AKL bus pull up and leave...thinking ...if only we could afford to stay.....

We have an annual Disney trip. We had never been to AKL, so we purchased sight unseen and based our purchase on the Internet. DH loves AK and could spend days there just taking pictures of landscape. So when the time seemed right last year, I would have purchased anywhere to own a piece of the Magic. DH was the one that turned out to be a resort specific person. He only wanted AKV...so I agreed. It has been the best move ever and it fits us to a tee.

BIL is thinking BLT, but he is just not ready yet.

We bought sight unseen......my DW's only request was that we be able to walk or take a boat/monorail to a park or parks. At the time we bought Disney was pushing SSR and when I told our guide we did not want SSR but would prefer BCV or BWV instead. We were told at the time they were sold out and SSR has availability, I said thanks but no thanks, nothing against SSR. Then the conversation changed to, well we do not have the points you requested in BCV but BWV is available for $$. We took it, split into 2 contracts, and have been happy ever since. My DW enjoys the BWVs so much she really has no desire to stay elsewhere.

Added on point to Aulani! No second thoughts, no regrets. We probably wont even be able to go until 2012! If they add another DVC in DL, I would probably buy in a second also w/out staying there (we are west coasters) and plan on buying only out here since 7 months is just fine for WDW.

We were the extreme version of buying sight unseen!

When planning our first trip to WDW as a family, I stumbled across DVC. We were wanting two room accommodations for our family and the suite prices were $$$$:scared1:. Instead of paying for that first trip we used the money toward purchasing at BCV. Was a leap but it was in the end a good decision. So no we didn't see BCV or BC, or any DVC accommodation, or even WDW in the 20 years before our purchase. So, yes we were crazy (..but as things turned out, if it had been a bad decision we would have know after the first year or two and had been able to sell at a profit!! )

We did not buy blindly however. I researched and debated. We were between purchasing BCV from Disney (location, pool, quick purchase) or OKW resale (size, price). I'm so glad we choose BCV, we love the convenience and hotel qualities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter