I Can! I Can Stink at 9am! A January TR - 3/8 New TR Link!

I'm so sorry about DH's grandpa :( it's never easy to lose a loved one, even if it is expected. :grouphug:

I just found your TR. I can't wait to read more. I'm dying to stay there. Hopefully, some time this year if we can get it.

So sorry to hear about DH’s grandpa. :hug: Even though he was sleeping when you stopped by, I wouldn’t be surprised if he still sensed you were there and appreciated the visit. Prayers for your family.

Huh, this is the second TR I’ve seen in the last few days with the toddler eating a whole apple. Never thought to give Izzy one – I wonder what she’d do? :confused3

Weird about the AKL drive-by on the ME. :confused: Maybe they’d gotten a call that they needed assistance at AKL, but then they weren’t needed after all? Beats me. Maybe the driver just is dreaming of buying into DVC at AKL and feels the need to visit his future “home” often. :lmao: Or maybe they got the WL and AKL mixed up. :rotfl:

Nice greeting at GFV. Cute little chairs in the lobby. Looking forward to seeing the room!

I was going to post an update this morning, but this morning, DH's grandpa passed away. He has been battling throat cancer for some time now and for the last 5 weeks he's been on hospice, so we knew it would be any day now. Unfortunately, we went to go visit him yesterday morning and when we arrived he was sleeping and didn't want to disturb him. Wish we could have at least said 'Hi' to him, to let him know we were there.

I'm really sorry to hear that news. That's always hard.

I had told DM and DH that the bus would be waiting for us at 10am (knowing that we could get down there whenever we want, really)

Hey, that's supposed to be the husband's trick!

DS was wonderful the entire trip about always making sure he was in the stroller at least 10 minutes before we took off. :worship: He’s so my favorite traveler!

Wow, now that's great parenting!

Really, no one believed me about getting on the bus at 10. We actually didn’t get out of the room until 10:45, but I was trying to keep my cool

Uh oh. They're onto you!

(10 million Lesha points for whoever names that movie!)

:confused3 Sorry. You've even stumped the movie guy.

We boarded a MEARS bus, which wasn’t ideal for me :rotfl: I wanted the real thing! However, once on board I noticed a real DME bus had parked in beside our bus, so figured the next best thing would take a picture with it in the background

I know exactly what you mean! :rotfl2:

So one thing that had annoyed me about this drive. When we had gotten in our line for DME, the only resorts (that I remember) were for GF, Poly, Contemporary and WL. But we were headed towards AKL? So we get through the AKL gates, go all the way up to the drop off area near the lobby, don’t stop, and exit just as quickly (well not that quickly since it’s a bus, yes?) as we came. What the heck?! What a waste of 15 minutes! Does anyone know why this would happen?

Well, what they probably wanted to do was set things up so that...yeah, I got nothin'. :confused3

The bus parks and as soon as we step off, a CM rushes at us with an iPad and says, “Welcome Home Crow Family!”

:cloud9:

:goodvibes

I'm sorry to hear about DH grandpa.

The VGF looks so amazing. Looking forward to the rest of your trip report.

Great start. Sounds like Calvin was an angel on the plane.

Did the driver go to the wrong resort? That's the only thing I can think of.

Sorry to hear about DH's Grandpa. Even when you know it is coming, it is still horrible.

Looking forward to more.

I'm so sorry about DH's grandpa it's never easy to lose a loved one, even if it is expected.

Thanks Pam :goodvibes

I just found your TR. I can't wait to read more. I'm dying to stay there. Hopefully, some time this year if we can get it.

I REALLY hope you can get there one day. It is beyond amazing!

So sorry to hear about DH’s grandpa. :hug: Even though he was sleeping when you stopped by, I wouldn’t be surprised if he still sensed you were there and appreciated the visit. Prayers for your family.

Huh, this is the second TR I’ve seen in the last few days with the toddler eating a whole apple. Never thought to give Izzy one – I wonder what she’d do?

Weird about the AKL drive-by on the ME. :confused: Maybe they’d gotten a call that they needed assistance at AKL, but then they weren’t needed after all? Beats me. Maybe the driver just is dreaming of buying into DVC at AKL and feels the need to visit his future “home” often. :lmao: Or maybe they got the WL and AKL mixed up.

Nice greeting at GFV. Cute little chairs in the lobby. Looking forward to seeing the room!

Thanks Rita:goodvibes I asked DH yesterday if he was upset about not being able to say goodbye to his grandpa and he said he was a little sad. We found out that that morning before we attempted to see him, the police had gone over to the house to talk to his grandpa because someone was trying to hack into his bank accounts without his permission (his daughters!) and it got him really flustered and upset and that whole encounter pretty much wasted him. :sad2:

I started giving him whole fruit about 2 months before WDW, starting with pears. I was eating one and he would take a bite and he stole it from me, so I watched what he did with it. He did amazing and now I'll start the fruit off with a bite to get him started.

The whole bus thing was a little annoying but lots of people on the bus were wondering what was going on after he pulled out of AKL without stopping. I was hoping he would overhear the questioning to address it, but he didn't.

I'm really sorry to hear that news. That's always hard.

Thanks Mark:goodvibes

Wow, now that's great parenting!

Why thank you it was all me....Jk, I don't know where he got that from but i'm not complaining.

Sorry. You've even stumped the movie guy.

:eek::eek:

I know exactly what you mean! :rotfl2:

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks this! Phew.

Well, what they probably wanted to do was set things up so that...yeah, I got nothin'.

:rotfl:

Following along, seeing if I can pick any tips for our 1st visit in December.

Hope I'll have some good tips for you! Any questions just ask. We've been once in December in 2012. It was the early part of December and the weather and crowds were PERFECT.

West Side Story? I used to watch that ALL THE TIME when I was younger!

YES!!!! :dance3::dance3: Winner winner chicken dinner!

I did too! I was actually in a ballet recital when I was younger and that was our theme one year.

We're actually watching it tonight since DH has never seen it.

I'm sorry to hear about DH grandpa.

The VGF looks so amazing. Looking forward to the rest of your trip report.

Thanks Bret :goodvibes

Wait till you see our room :faint:

I think you might be right, not a lot of movies I can think of with gangs that snap their fingers.

:lmao: Imagine if gangs were like that. I'd probably stop to watch them rumble if they dance-fought :lmao:

I am following along. I have read all of your other trip reports. Sorry about your DH grandfather.

Hi and Welcome! :welcome:

Thank you very much :goodvibes

Great start. Sounds like Calvin was an angel on the plane.

Did the driver go to the wrong resort? That's the only thing I can think of.

Sorry to hear about DH's Grandpa. Even when you know it is coming, it is still horrible.

Looking forward to more.

For being 2 years old and stuck in one spot for close to 5 hours, he was amazing! Some adults do worse :scared1:

I have no idea what was up with the bus driver but I just wanted to be 'home'!

Thanks Lisa :goodvibes

popcorn:: joining in popcorn::

I can't wait to read more!

It was getting close to 12:30 and we still hadn’t eaten yet, so thought we should get to the bus stop to head to DTD. But we couldn’t just walk past the lobby doors without going inside for a peek at that tree!

And take in the delicious smells of the gingerbread house

I know for lots of people (Scrooges) ;), that as soon as December 26th hits, the Christmas decorations come down and the music stops. I love that at Disney, it’s January 2nd, the entire place is decorated, smells like Gingerbread and I still hear Christmas music.

:love:

While I was checking out the Gingerbread house with DM, DH got a picture of DS trying to be adopted into a new family, sneakily. But the little girl caught him

This shows just how massive the tree is. Absolutely amazing!

We really had to get going if we wanted to eat, have a DIS meet, a non-DIS meet and dinner at 6:00, so to the bus stop we went. I have pictures later, but I love that there is a real-time bus schedule letting us know when the bus is scheduled to pick-up. So accommodating.

In less than 5 minutes, we were on a bus (fastest we’ve ever had to wait for a bus to DTD!) and got there in no time!

Even though I was SO tempted to go into Disney’s Days of Christmas to shop, food needed to be in me.

This in particular from Wolfgang Puck Express

He loved it too, only had one piece left

This trip, he still shared our meals. He’s a very picky eater (you’ll see what we have to do at dinner tonight!) and eats in small amounts. However, this trip we learned a new trick. Well, new for us. But we've never bargained with him before and decided to try it. So on this trip, we waited to give him something we knew he would enjoy. So if he wanted half a French fry, he would have to take 2 bites of chicken. IT WORKED! He’d usually forget about the fry by the second bite and keep eating chicken, then realize, “Hey, I’m supposed to get something!” We’re still continuing this trick at home, and now he’s starting to eat meat, fish and chicken again.:cool1:

During lunch, I kept in contact with Danielle about meeting up. We still had some time to go shopping before our meet up, so we started walking through Tren-D and Team Mickey’s. DH bought me some things that I’m not supposed to know about because it’s my birthday presents and DM bought a few things too. Then I saw this freaky thing

Why? The flowers and Cheshire are perfect, but why does Alice look so dark and suicidal?! :confused3 Too much Wonderland for her perhaps.

Starbucks was needed since we didn’t have time to grab any that morning and it was definitely an iced coffee day. It was warm.

For Christmas, we were trying to get DM a Pandora charm but they were sold out online, so instead, I printed out all the charms that could be available at WDW and wrapped the print-out and told her she could pick anyone she likes when we get there. So we went to Arribas Brothers to ask about the Charms. They had some charms but not Pandora and were told to check World of Disney, so we went there where they had some spacers, but nothing ‘Disney Exclusive’. One of the CM’s said to keep checking back frequently as they never know when a shipment can come in and to also check Uptown Jewelers at the Magic Kingdom. Sad, but not completely let down as we still had a week to find one, we headed towards the Disney’s Days of Christmas store where I would meet Danielle.

DS had seen the water fountain right in front of the entrance to DTD when we were walking in, so we thought we’d let him get a bit of exercise and run around before going into the Christmas store

He would get close to the water, get scared and back up and point, and do the same thing all over again. Like this

Video -

There was a British couple, probably in their mid 20’s, who were completely fascinated by DS and the water shenanigans. The guy was really sweet and was trying to help DH by going out into the middle for DS to go out there with them. And then I did something mean. I told DH to run with him through the fountain:

Video (the thumbnail's not showing, but it works) -

I like the slow-motion version better because it’s funnier. Hey, if I can make him, I’m allowed to laugh at him from time to time! ::yes:: And the regular version. You can hear in the background we have a little crowd watching.

Regular Version video -

After DS let all his tears out from being hit in the face with water and slipping, he was happy to pose in a holey shirt

What a fun update!

I LOVE the Christmas decorations at the GF. The tree is just spectacular and I love the Gingerbread House. I love the photo of DS trying to photobomb the family...too precious.

Awesome job on the wait for the bus to DTD.

Wolfgang Puck...a favorite. :)

The videos are adorable of DS in the water fountain. He is just too stinkin' cute.

wow - that tree really is impressive! We always keep our Christmas decoration up until Epiphany so always bugs me when places take them down on like the 26th ... and then by the 27th the stores have Easter Candy out :worried:

I think it is great that they have those bus trackers now so you know how long your wait will be - and good for you to get to DTD so quickly

We totally do the bargaining with the kids ... separate out a certain amount of chicken they have to eat before more French fries or something. We also tend to pull the "well, that is what dinner is and we know you would like it so we aren't making anything else - this isn't a restaurant" at times.

But we couldn’t just walk past the lobby doors without going inside for a peek at that tree!

And take in the delicious smells of the gingerbread house
GF isn't one of my favorite resorts, but they definitely do Christmas right. :thumbsup2

While I was checking out the Gingerbread house with DM, DH got a picture of DS trying to be adopted into a new family, sneakily. But the little girl caught him
Nice try on the photobomb. :rotfl2::lmao:

This in particular from Wolfgang Puck Express
Love that place. :thumbsup2

So if he wanted half a French fry, he would have to take 2 bites of chicken. IT WORKED! He’d usually forget about the fry by the second bite and keep eating chicken, then realize, “Hey, I’m supposed to get something!” We’re still continuing this trick at home, and now he’s starting to eat meat, fish and chicken again.:cool1:
Glad it works for you. It only works about half the time for us. DS is so dang skinny though, sometimes we're just happy to get him to eat anything.

Why? The flowers and Cheshire are perfect, but why does Alice look so dark and suicidal?! :confused3 Too much Wonderland for her perhaps.
There's a whole lot of questionable things that go on in that movie. I mean when you really think about it, this isn't exactly a stretch... :lmao::rotfl2:

They had some charms but not Pandora and were told to check World of Disney, so we went there where they had some spacers, but nothing ‘Disney Exclusive’. One of the CM’s said to keep checking back frequently as they never know when a shipment can come in and to also check Uptown Jewelers at the Magic Kingdom.
DW was looking for some the week we were there. She kept running into the same kind of thing. They were hard to find.

And then I did something mean. I told DH to run with him through the fountain:
Sometimes, as a parent, you just have to be the bad guy. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I had completely forgotten HOW tall that Christmas tree at the GF was. And I am in shock to see how tall Calvin has grown.

You are really brave, being at that Gingerbread house without any breakfast. ;) I so would have just had a piece of their Gingerbread!

WPE for lunch. :cloud9: Some of my favourite counter service. Sooo yummy. Now I am craving pizza. :rotfl2:

And those videos of Calvin are SO cute! I just love how your men run through the fountain. Awesome! And may I add that I am impressed that Calvin has already grown into his T-shirt. ;)

More please! :love:

Such a fun update! I was cracking up (does that make me a mean mommy too?) because that's something I would do to my DS! I always say "what's the fun in having a kid if you can't torture them every now and then?" ;)

I will never get over how gorgeous that GF tree is! And the gingerbread house! It's been so long since I've seen them - 3 years is too long!:rotfl2:

I want to try to plan my next trip, whenever that may be, sometime in Dec or Jan. There's just nothing like WDW all prettied up for Christmas!

Looking forward to the next installment! :flower3:

P.S. I am so sorry to hear about your DH's grandpa passing :( I lost my 3 remaining grandparents 1 right after another. They all passed in the span of 3 years and my last one, my grandma passed on my birthday almost 2 years ago. It's rough so I know exactly how your DH feels - prayers for all of you!

Geez, time is flying. I felt like I had just read the trip report when your son was a baby! He is so adorable! Great start to your TR! Looking forward to reading more.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter