I feel so bad for my dad. Lifelong Detroit Tigers fan and can't watch the games.

floridafam

DIS Veteran
I feel so bad for my dad. He is in his 90s and just moved to a senior living community. He moved to a different county so that means a new cable provider. All he wants to do is watch his Tigers play. I can't even get MLB Network for him as the games would still be blocked. He doesn't know how to stream anything. At a loss as to what to do. It's just so sad. He has been a huge baseball fan his whole life and is in his final years and can't get the joy he gets from watching baseball.

We feel the same about our Rays. Our cable network no longer has Bally Sports, so we subscribe to MLB Network. I don't know about blackouts, because we no longer live in Tampa. A VPN would be a work around for that issue. My DH suggests you look into getting him internet & stream Directv for Bally Sports. It is streaming, but it's a typical channel layout.

My DH works in Telecom. Let me know, if you have any questions I could ask him.

We feel the same about our Rays. Our cable network no longer has Bally Sports, so we subscribe to MLB Network. I don't know about blackouts, because we no longer live in Tampa. A VPN would be a work around for that issue. My DH suggests you look into getting him internet & stream Directv for Bally Sports. It is streaming, but it's a typical channel layout.

My DH works in Telecom. Let me know, if you have any questions I could ask him.
I don’t think I can do that. He gets basic cable for free from his community so I have to piggyback onto that. Anything I add has to be Xfinity. It’s a mess.

I don’t think I can do that. He gets basic cable for free from his community so I have to piggyback onto that. Anything I add has to be Xfinity. It’s a mess.
He said you could add the Directv streaming app, as long as he has internet. You could do that with a Firestick, Roku or a Directv streaming box. This would be above & beyond the basic cable he currently has.

ETA: The internet would come from Xfinity, if he doesn't already have it.

I thought I read somewhere that there is a contract dispute between Bally and Xfinity that has temporarily taken the Bally Sports channels off their roster effective May 1st. Perhaps when this is resolved he will be able to get the games? Until then, streaming over the internet may be the only option.

He does not have internet. I did set up a landline phone for him while I was visiting him last weekend. Anything new is hard for him.

He does not have internet. I did set up a landline phone for him while I was visiting him last weekend. Anything new is hard for him.
Unfortunately, I think he's going to have to get internet to get the games. If Xfinity picks up Bally Sports again, adding the sports package & a VPN would work.

Watching sports is awful. I miss the good old days when you knew one of the "big 3" networks were hosting the games. Now it's all on the highest bidder and forget watching your local teams anywhere!

Watching sports is awful. I miss the good old days when you knew one of the "big 3" networks were hosting the games. Now it's all on the highest bidder and forget watching your local teams anywhere!
I agree. We pay for three different subscriptions to watch the Tar Heels, Tampa Rays & Miami Dolphins. We still don't get the Rays games on Apple TV. That's really all we care about watching, so we save by not subscribing to Netflix, Disney+, etc.

Edited to add the Dolphins.

Last edited:
Cleveland sports fan here, and both the Cavaliers and Guardians are being held hostage by the bankrupt Bally Sports. I think the Cavs are finally done with them, but the Guardians are stuck with them for at least the rest of this season. They make it so hard to watch their games if you don't have cable.

Cleveland sports fan here, and both the Cavaliers and Guardians are being held hostage by the bankrupt Bally Sports. I think the Cavs are finally done with them, but the Guardians are stuck with them for at least the rest of this season. They make it so hard to watch their games if you don't have cable.
Unfortunately, cable doesn't help in many areas. We have Xfinity, but had to add YoutubeTV & MLB Network to see the games we want. As I said above, there are still games that we can't see.

I hope you're able to see your games soon. Bally Sports is the worst.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter