I just booked my first ever solo trip!

LucyStorm

Has a love affair with the monorail
And I am SO excited!!!! Any recommendations? Thoughts on first time solo trips? Words of wisdom?

I just finished my first solo trip and loved it! It was so relaxing and worth every moment. One thing I did was always bring a little notebook with me so when I sat down to eat, I could write my thoughts of everything that had happened so far in the day.
Another thing: utilize the single rider lines at Epcot and if you go to Universal, use them. Completely worth it.
Do not be afraid to ask others to take your picture. I actually offered to take other photos for people (usually families or couples), and they usually offered to take mine in return.
Take your time - you don't get that opportunity with others or with children. I was so surprised at the sounds of disney and the sights that I had not seen before.
I know you will have a great time, and don't worry about being solo. I actually had more fun solo than I did with a group - worth every minute.
Have a great time! Jo

Originally posted by LucyStorm
And I am SO excited!!!! Any recommendations? Thoughts on first time solo trips? Words of wisdom?

Words of Wisdom? Enjoy yourself and take the time to do what you want to do. Enjoy lunch at a restaurant that you've always wanted to eat at. Take a behind the scenes tour. Look at a spa day. Don't worry about sleeping in - you can see and do more as a solo in less time.

Solo trips can be very relaxing. My next solo trip is the week after Thanksgiving...I've booked CP, MVMCP and am looking at a tour.

Don't forgot to follow discussions on the boards and see who is traveling with you at the same time - gives you the option of meeting up with some online folks

Diane

Just have fun!! Do what you want, and never be afraid of "looking single". Eat at whatever restaurants you want, go to any place you want. Just DO IT UP!! You'll have a fabulous time! Chat with people in line and such. You'll find people are soooo friendly there.

Thank you all! Now tell me, are you or would you be afraid to walk around the resorts at night by yourself? I am staying at POFQ.

Also, what about Pleasure Island by yourself?

Good for you, Bonnie! I love my solo trips to WDW, although I also enjoying meeting up with DIS friends there. I remember hopping to 5 parks in one day on a trip several years ago (MK was a repeat)....and that's something I couldn't have done with whining kids along.

I have been to Pleasure Island only once, and I was with a group. I wouldn't be afraid to go to PI alone, but it's hard to dance if you're by yourself. ;)

Originally posted by LucyStorm
Thank you all! Now tell me, are you or would you be afraid to walk around the resorts at night by yourself? I am staying at POFQ.

Not any more! The first time I was at WDW solo, I checked into POR at 2:00 am. Bell Services offered to bring me and my luggage to my room, but idiot me, I declined. So there I was walking thru the dark, alone, thinking how scared I was when suddenly, around the corner came...2 women wearing formal gowns and mouse ears! Honest-after that, I figured that besides the normal caution, I'm probably OK.
Never been to Pleasure Island-gotta go to sleep so I'm ready for when Mickey calls in the AM to tell me "There's big doins goin on so let's get started."

I am now planning for my 6th solo trip for this early December !
I think you will be shocked to find out just how wonderful a solo trip really is.

Don't let anyone try to convince you that Disney is just for kids!

Always take a little notebook with you and maybe a park map to keep you busy while eating a meal.

Always visit the rest room before you sit down for a meal, because if you have to go *during* the meal, it might look as though you are finished, and gone.

Be really free to talk to people while you are standing in line.
My solo trips get better and better, as I talk to more people.

Congrats on your first solo trip. My first solo trip was my best ever and I'm still reflecting on it (have many hours on video tape and have watched it occasionally especially since I am going back soon). IMO it was so nice not to have to consider anyone's particular issues. It was so very nice to just do exactly what I wanted, when I wanted and as many times as I wanted. No one complaining about wait times, feet hurting, sunlight, etc., etc. I took breaks when I needed them and ate what I wanted as well. I do take a journal to write in and a book as well and I did do several dinners in sitdown rest. and never felt out of place.

There was also a few times that I ran into other solo travelers and rode a ride or two with them (this lady and I were both waiting for PoC and both sat in the back seat, well we started talking about the difference between PoC in CA and FL, then the family in front of us asked us to be quiet as it was his sons first ride and he wanted him to hear everything, think we were having a bit too much fun but we waited until the ride ended and talked for a bit). I've always had nice conversations with CM's and a few people in front of me or in back of me in line.

As Claudia stated above, best to go to bathroom before heading to rest., I've had them take a dessert away (already paid for meal) thinking I had left (just had a few bites).

As for staying at POFQ, you'll feel safe. Most of the time, unless your roaming around at 2 or 3 a.m. there are other people outside getting fresh air, talking on the phone, heading to do clothes, smoking, etc. My solo trip, I stayed at POR and there was only one time that I felt a little nervous and that was when I used the back bus station behind my mansion ( I was back there by myself heading to DTD around 9:00 p.m. and waited for about 20 minutes for the bus). You can hear noises from the woods which is what made me slightly uneasy but it is mostly small noises from birds and an occasional rabbit hopping on the leaves, branches, etc. After that I just decided to catch the bus from the front of the resort if I left at night (20 or so people out there). You shouldn't have this problem at POFQ as the bus stop is out front.

As for PI, I always followed other people towards the bus stop so I was never really alone.

Have a wonderful trip.

You are going to have a blast! :hyper:

I went solo two years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I had a choice to either go with my SO on a work trip to Phoenix or go do something on my own. I decided on the latter and have not regretted for even a second ever since!

My SO has yet another work trip coming up next month ... this time in Orlando! I'll actually be solo only half the time on this trip--a nice mix--but a huge part of me wishes I was going by myself again! ;)

I felt a little nervous walking around at night, well just the one night I got back from DD. It was maybe 12, but since I was at AS Music (mostly families).. it was DEAD, and my room was out in no-man's land. The next day I requested a room change & explained that I was at Disney alone. They put me in Calypso, but that was before they started the "preferred location" junk (which I think STINKS you have to pay for that!!). I just walked briefly around PI, but was not into doing the bar by myself. Plus, I was very tired!

After numerous family trips and mother/daughter trips to WDW, I am going "all by myself" in 3 weeks!! It'll be a short trip, just 11/7 to 11/10 - but I am sooooo looking forward to it! Can't wait! :teeth:

I love to travel by myself...OK, sometimes I enjoy traveling with my sister's large family, too.

In response to dining alone and going to the restroom, I actually did once write on a napkin "BE BACK IN A MINUTE" and leave it on my plate.

I dine alone quite a bit because of business. Usually I just find my waiter/waitress and tell them where I am going. Never had a problem.

Thank you all for your input. I am so looking forward to this!

I went on my first solo trip in June 2002.

I found it a bit daunting at first, it was my second holiday out of the U.K, and the first trip on my own. Going to Disney 6 months prior to my solo trip helped, as I knew where I was going to in terms of parks and shopping & resturants etc.

I check in with family by phone every other day, just to make sure they knew I was ok. I found the whole experience very liberating. I convinced myself for many years prior to my solo trip, that I did'nt like travelling and never wanted to go anywhere. But I was WRONG, my fondest memories have been from that solo trip, and best of all I did'nt have to worry about anyone else but myself.

My tip would be to RELAX as much as you can, and take everything at your own pace.

Hope it all goes well for you. maureen4200040:wave:

Almost all of my trips to WDW have been solo.

When are you going to be there? I'm planning to tour 12/3 through 12/13 and a very good friend of mine may be there the same dates.

I would love to meet with you for a meal or a cup of coffee, if our dates overlap.

Katholyn

December 9-14 :) Was a little concerned, but think I'll have a great trip!! :sunny:

Have fun!! Let us know how it went??

Christine

not till May unfortunately, Kath. This was supposed to be for my 45th birthday, but some things came up and it didn't happen. So I will be turning 46 in the World!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter