I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The air fryer is awesome. I started with one and loved it so much I bought a 2nd. Now I can have 2 things going at once...so salmon in one and Brussel sprouts in the other. I feel like it should have a different name, because the "fryer" part throws people off. It isn't frying at all. And no, my salmon is not breaded...just a normal salmon filet. :)

Now I need 2 air fryers! I love salmon and Brussels sprouts!

It's your husband's account, and his field so I'll let him make his own decisions.

I didn't think too much of it, because how else would Ebates deposit the earned MR points into my Amex account? They can't exactly mail one of their Big Fat Checks.

I've used Ebates for years, and similarly I've given it access to our PayPal account because that's where my cashback payments.

I also get my ebates sent right to my paypal but I think I just gave them my email address associated with my paypal. I don’t think I ever gave them my password. I’m not sure if I’d be comfortable with that.

Did you still earn your hilton points from the stay? I keep meaning to do this for DH, but he books on his own and won't take the extra step. He has been letting me book his hertz thru ebates and send him the confirmation but will only relinquish so much control at one time. :teeth:
I am pretty sure I’ll at least my Marriott points since the reservations are attached to my account. I am just hoping to earn the “extra” points going through the portal. Now I am wishing I hadn’t signed DS up to take to a test during his next long weekend in March so I could have tested it sooner.

Can someone walk me thru the Best Buy/Swagbucks process? I rarely shop at Best Buy, and I have a Swagbucks account but pretty much gave up since I can’t watch 20 videos a day to get points. However I am in the market for a new laptop and Best Buy is one of the options, so I want to maximize return if I buy there. OTOH I may buy at Costco and just use CIC for the 0% interest.

If you’re not signed up for SB, I think there may be some support links on DISchurners. Sign up, sign into the mobile site from your smart phone, search for Best Buy, click on Best Buy coupons, scroll down to Shop In-Store, and click Get Code for your QR code. When the cashier asks for your info for Best Buy Rewards, give that to him/her and then say you also have a Swagbucks code and have them scan it. The cashier has to scan the QR code before proceeding to “checkout”/payment or they’ll have to go back and scan it, otherwise scanning the code at checkout will result in an error (I think the system may think it’s a coupon or form of payment). Then just swipe your Credit Card/VGC/MCGC for payment.

There is some risk that SB may nerf the earn rate or bonus, or suddenly stop crediting SBs for GC purchases. GCs aren’t supposed to count, but it’s been working since last summer. SB did nerf the amount of bonus points you could earn a few months back, but you can still get at least $9.50 worth of SBs on a $100 GC purchase (750 SB bonus for making a $100+ in store purchase + 200 SB on a standard 2x SB on $100. Limit 1 bonus per day (so $100/day if you want to optimize the deal), which can be a bit of a chore to keep going back to Best Buy). The earn rate was up to 3x SB/$ this week, and was as high as 4x SB/$ a few weeks ago. The 750 SB usually posts in a day or two, but the 2x/3x/4x SB takes about a month. You can cash out via PayPal, buy VGCs, GCs, etc.

Can someone walk me thru the Best Buy/Swagbucks process? I rarely shop at Best Buy, and I have a Swagbucks account but pretty much gave up since I can’t watch 20 videos a day to get points. However I am in the market for a new laptop and Best Buy is one of the options, so I want to maximize return if I buy there. OTOH I may buy at Costco and just use CIC for the 0% interest.

I glanced over your plans to buy a laptop. My above advice is more aimed at buying $100 Disney GCs for a ~10%+ discount. I'm not sure about a laptop that may cost ~$1k, and not sure if buying Best Buy GCs $100 at a time will work with SBs. Even if you could buy GCs at a discount to buy a laptop, I'd actually prefer putting an expensive prone to break laptop purchase on a credit card with a good extended warranty.

I don't know if timing differs by store and I haven't shopped at Target since installing Pei, but so far everything else has come up pending overnight.

It finally showed up this morning from my Thurs purchase. Maybe the debit takes longer than credit? None of the other places I've shopped since I got the app are on it so I'll have to see going forward.

I just saw a FB post of a shirt that is perfect for you. It was at disney of course...said "curly hair don't care" with a Merida bow/arrow. So cute.

Have fun on your trip!

HaHa! That would be perfect!

This is a $300 per night for $95,$99 or $125 (future biz) as once taxes are added to the $259 you are easily at $300.

Not this hotel in particular but the same idea is why I keep my cards. There are some awesome redemptions out there.

I do realize that because of time and commitments not everyone can go somewhere nice when they just feel like it, but a couple of these certificates are very nice to have to supplement the points - yeah I know the points are more 'free' than the annual fee for the card but, once you earn the Amex bonus, that's it folks and who wants to continue spending on these cards now that Marriott has killed the 3 points? I kept SPG for 18 years without a free night because it was a good card to begin with before Marriott. The free night made it a keeper even with Marriott's other changes.

@calypso726 enjoy the show again! Did you read about the San Francisco show?

Absolutely! I always forget to add up the taxes and resort fees.

No I did not hear anything about the SanFran show. The first time we saw the show it was in San Francisco.

You'd want to use the Shop In Store bonus promotion for Best Buy. You can't get to it through the mobile app, but you can go to the mobile website and search the Shop section for Best Buy to get to the QR code to show on your phone or just print it out to take with you. It's got a tiered bonus structure now, purchases up to $50 get 250 bonus sb, $100-499 purchases gets 750 bonus sb, and purchases $500+ get 1500 sb. This doesn't include taxes or service plans, and also if you're using a BB rewards certificate, that's a coupon so it affects your qualifying amount too. That's just for the bonus on top of the earn rate which is 3% this weekend, it's typically 2%. You can only get one bonus per day.

You'd have them scan the QR code during the transaction before they hit total, just like another item to ring up. I typically give it to them when I give our BB Rewards number so I don't forget to have it scanned. So it goes something like this -
Enter BB Rewards number
Scan SB QR code
Ring up the items
Make payment

The bonus amount pays out right away, typically within a few days of it being picked up, and the regular earn amount goes pending for the usual 32 days.

If you use this for DGC then it's recommended to keep to $100 increments for the best return. They have in the past paid out for BB GC purchases, even though it's not supposed to be an eligible item, but for a large purchase like a laptop I'd rather put that straight on a CC for any extra warranty protections rather than mess with BB GCs. Could still use your CIC for the 0% interest either way.

Anyone that does there own taxes using TT, do you buy the disc or just log in online? I normally buy the disc but SW has a 1k rr points if you log in online. Is there a difference, safer, cheaper etc. thanks

For those who did the PNC bonus this year, did you get a 1099? I should have gotten one but haven't. DH is ready to file our taxes but was wanting the TIN. I found one listed on Reddit from last year but not sure if it's accurate. I could call them but hoping to file this weekend. Of course I closed my account this week so can't log in to check.
Didn't receive, but added the bonus to tax return.

Anyone that does there own taxes using TT, do you buy the disc or just log in online? I normally buy the disc but SW has a 1k rr points if you log in online. Is there a difference, safer, cheaper etc. thanks
I've just done online for the past several years, since I have a chromebook. Haven't missed the disc. Not sure if there is a price difference.

Last edited:
@Lain I just did your suggestion of this morning as to where I am at with Amex and referred myself and was approved for quite possibly one of the lamest cards ever...the Amex Biz Green. With my BGR referral bonus though and then if I could eventually get the pay over time option it does help. So now I know Amex does not hate me (yet) and don’t have to worry about meeting a spend. I guess I will just get it, make a spend, add it to the random rotation in my little Amex wallet, and hope in another month or two when I go for the BBP it is as easy as this was.

What do you all think about the idea of getting my husband the Biz Green? If he gets the pop up now after a period of increased spending then I know that there really is no immediate hope for him in Amex’s eyes and will free me up to just put his cards away completely unless there is a good offer. If I put in for it and do get the pop up and say I want to continue then it is only one spend and the 5,000 MR’s right? So not a big deal but assuming he was approved and they just didn’t deny him then I should still get the referral of 20k?

I just don’t want to be in the position of putting the spend on a card and then no bonus posting. I have gone through that and it is insanity inducing. I would like him to have another Amex Biz (or since he is 2/24 another personal even) but the thought of putting 3k to 5k on it and getting nothing for it is horrible. Talk about sick dysfunctional relationships that Amex has put us in...

I think getting your DH the Biz Green could be a good move.

The BGR earns 20k MR per referral, capped at 55k MR, so you have two 20k MR referrals and one 15k MR referral on that card. Then your Biz Plat has three 15k MR referrals and one 10k MR referral.

Like I said, the Biz Green would be a good use of a 20k MR referral. If DH gets the pop up, you still get the 20k MR referral bonus if you go ahead with the application. If DH doesn't get the pop up, it's a single purchase to trigger the SUB, so you'll find out quickly if he's denied the bonus even without the pop up. The risk in either case is DH not getting the Biz Green SUB, which is supposed to be 5k MR, but Amex has been posting an extra, separate 5k MR bonus (potentially totaling 10k MR “SUB”). But in either case you’d get the 20k MR referral bonus, and the Biz Green's AF is waived in the first year.

The risk/reward is similar for the BBP. If you use a 20k MR referral for the BBP, you get the 20k MR referral bonus whether or not the approved BBP gets the pop up or bonus. The BBP SUB is 10k MR (like the Biz Green), but the MSR to get that SUB is $3k (compared to a single purchase of any amount for the Biz Green). The BBP is a no-fee card, and one you probably won't cancel (vs. Biz Green, which you'll likely cancel after the AF hits in a year.)

And good point about the potential for a 10k MR Pay Over Time offer down the line. The Biz Green would qualify for a POT offer as a charge card, but the BBP would not because it’s a credit card.

Interesting to see they decreased the offer, lol. I always thought that $40 was a strange amount...and that I'd have easily done it for less. I have done this twice and the last time I did it the woman told me I could only do it 3 times max (which I found interesting...) When you do it let us know if they bring that up on your call at all (that you are capped on the number of times you can participate).
I will let you know. I called the number, which was tied to a particular agent I worked with in the past and he was out of the office until Tuesday. I wonder if I'm getting multiple offers because I signed up for multiple disneyworld.com accounts years ago to up my chances to receive pin code mailers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter