I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was debating whether I'd write this or not, but it might be therapeutic. Emotions are all over the place. My kids lost their aunt today, their father's sister. She died tragically in Colorado, by drowning at her home. We don't know if there was a medical emergency that precipitated or what. As far as we know she was alone when this happened. Details are still sketchy until a medical review of some kind comes about.

Our whole family is devastated as she was definitely a favorite and was a great support when older daughter had her car accident about 2 years ago. She owned her own business and her staff became concerned when she didn't show for work. My ex with police eventually found her. Please keep us all in your prayers while our family grieves for a beautiful person.
Sorry to hear.

You have to buy your high school text books? I guess I’m just used to public school. Didn’t realize private school doesn’t provide books? That seems crazy for what you are paying.
In the 7 years DS attended public school, he wasn’t really provided books either. There were enough copies for a class not the grade so the books stayed in the classroom. So I consider it a perk to purchase books and at least know he has his own set.

I received an offer on my Disney Visa (just downgraded it to the no fee) for 2% on grocery, gas, and drug stores.
Both DH and I got the 5% on our SW cards too.

The other day I charged my tolls from a rental car to my CSR. Now that the charge has posted it is showing it as earning 0 points. I put it on the CSR to get 3x travel and now I'm getting nothing?! Has this happened to anyone else?

I just found an app this morning called Card Pointers that is what I've been looking for and I thought I'd share. You click on which cards you have, and then it tells you by category which of your cards offer the best rewards. It even has Siri integration so I can say "Hey siri - grocery" and it'll tell me which card to use.
Is it only on Apple? I can't find it on the Google store.
It looks like Android user's can access via their Web App

Ok, this isant really CC related although I’m going to use a CC to pay for it...but where is the best place to buy AP textbooks from? My DD is taking AP World History and I can get it from Amazon but I’m wondering if there is a better place to get it from. I know a bunch of you have already been down this road and could let me know if theres a better place to purchase from.

This seems like a good time for a general announcement regarding textbooks...

For all new to AP and/or college textbooks, do NOT buy used books until after confirming it with the teacher. Many (especially this year) will use an online system which requires a unique login. These online access codes often include an e-text for free and/or the option to purchase a paper text at a significant discount. The instructor should provide you with an isbn to ensure you are getting the correct version--older editions are not supported by any online coutse components. Generally the best price is purchasing directly from the publishers website, unless the school has negotiated a reduced bundle price for multiple products.

Otoh, if the teacher say you only need a book, no online components, be sure to ask if an old edition will work!

The other day I charged my tolls from a rental car to my CSR. Now that the charge has posted it is showing it as earning 0 points. I put it on the CSR to get 3x travel and now I'm getting nothing?! Has this happened to anyone else?
Have you used your $300 credit yet this year? If you still have some of that credit sitting around, and use it for travel, you will earn 0 points on the purchase. It's been that way for a couple of years.

This year, you can get the $300 travel credit for grocery and gas purchases, and in those categories you can still earn URs for the purchase.

CSP - Kroger 4x - Disney GC question:

I'm in Kroger territory currently, and can use family's Kroger rewards to buy Disney GCs.
Gift cards are 4x right now, and I think Kroger sells Disney GCs.
I can use the Fuel Rewards (if I beat the family to the gas station :D), and can use the GCs.
Think I can use my new CSP for 1.25x if I move URs to it?

Do they need to do anything special, like loading the 4x onto their account?
Does this sound like a reasonably good deal?

This happened to us, we didn't earn any points on our airport parking. Your posted reminded me that I never sent them a message, I just sent a secure message asking about the missing 210 points. I'll let you know what they say.

I've not kept up well with reading through everything, but I hope everyone's doing well during this time, and my condolences to those who have experienced loss.

I seem to recall that there were a few people in this group that have adopted and I was wondering if you had any advice for travel insurance? We're planning hopeful travel for 2021 but we know full well that if we're placed, we won't be able to actually travel. I haven't had much luck finding trip insurance policies that give me confidence that a placement of a child would qualify as a covered event. Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

Have you used your $300 credit yet this year? If you still have some of that credit sitting around, and use it for travel, you will earn 0 points on the purchase. It's been that way for a couple of years.

This year, you can get the $300 travel credit for grocery and gas purchases, and in those categories you can still earn URs for the purchase.

I used it up with gas and grocery last month. Maybe it's a glitch having to do with not actually reaching $300 in specifically travel.

This happened to us, we didn't earn any points on our airport parking. Your posted reminded me that I never sent them a message, I just sent a secure message asking about the missing 210 points. I'll let you know what they say.

Good to know I am not alone. I'll message them too.

I used it up with gas and grocery last month. Maybe it's a glitch having to do with not actually reaching $300 in specifically travel.

Good to know I am not alone. I'll message them too.
It's not a glitch, as far as I know. When they rolled out the additional categories that would trigger the credit they still said that your first $300 in travel would earn no points (even if you used the credit on other charges).
"Annually, the first $300 in travel purchases will not earn rewards points, regardless of whether the Annual Credit was earned on purchases for Travel, or for promotional offers on other categories, for example at Gas Stations, or Grocery Stores."
(In the fine print - https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/sapphire-reserve-benefits)

This morning I spent about $40 at Aldi on my gold card for some fruit, veggies and cookies. Got an Amex alert that I had used an offer. Had completely forgotten about the 5% back up to $10 at US supermarkets.
Since you mentioned Aldi, I'm curious if your store is doing the cart to cart transfers where they put your groceries in someone else's cart at checkout. Months ago they announced they would stop doing this for safety. So, I was disappointed when I finally went back to in-person shopping and found that nothing had changed.

It's not a glitch, as far as I know. When they rolled out the additional categories that would trigger the credit they still said that your first $300 in travel would earn no points (even if you used the credit on other charges).
"Annually, the first $300 in travel purchases will not earn rewards points, regardless of whether the Annual Credit was earned on purchases for Travel, or for promotional offers on other categories, for example at Gas Stations, or Grocery Stores."
(In the fine print - https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/sapphire-reserve-benefits)

Boo. I missed that. I would have put the charge on the CIP if I had realized. Well, that just makes me glad DH still hasn't switched his tolls over to the CSR.

Since you mentioned Aldi, I'm curious if your store is doing the cart to cart transfers where they put your groceries in someone else's cart at checkout. Months ago they announced they would stop doing this for safety. So, I was disappointed when I finally went back to in-person shopping and found that nothing had changed.

Well, funny you should mention this. My cart was cleaned by me at the cart cleaning station. Wiped it down and went about my shopping.

I have to say that the people in my community for the most part are observant of all the rules of mask wearing and social distancing. I've been proud and impressed.

Anyway, store was not busy but people were great. When I got to checkout I didn't even know there was a new procedure so I was surprised when I was directed to put my cart in front for the cashier to put my stuff in it. So, yes, my Aldi is following the safety rule. I haven't been in the other 2 Aldi's close to me - 1 that is about 2 miles away and the other near my Costco. If I stop at them I'll pay more attention. This is only my second Aldi's visit since March.

They did have some 65% alcohol hand sanitizer for $3.49. I bought some for each car so that when I come out of a store I can use it before getting into my car. I sit it on the driver's seat so it gets used before I get in.

Last edited:
I've not kept up well with reading through everything, but I hope everyone's doing well during this time, and my condolences to those who have experienced loss.

I seem to recall that there were a few people in this group that have adopted and I was wondering if you had any advice for travel insurance? We're planning hopeful travel for 2021 but we know full well that if we're placed, we won't be able to actually travel. I haven't had much luck finding trip insurance policies that give me confidence that a placement of a child would qualify as a covered event. Does anyone have any advice for this situation?
Congratulations! How exciting.

Try Trawick -- they cover COVID-19 (but have not-so-great reviews). Also you can call insure my trip dot com and ask a CSR what they recommend. I've used them many, many times in the past and have always had a good experience.

Kind of sucks, considering it's really your own money. (Just them giving back the annual fee money.)

Does Amex do tis with the $300 Marriott credit on the Brilliant? I'll hae to pay attention.

Any suggestions on a next card? I have no particular travel goals but I do like the flexibility of URs (although I haven't accrued enough MRs to have an opinion on those).

With the WDW booked and paid for, I am now only a couple hundred dollars away from meeting MSR on the CSP.

I am currently 2/24 and will be 1/24 in about 3 weeks, but I think the CIP is out of the picture (not only for me, but for a lot of other people too, it seems :guilty: )

I do have an Amex BBP as my "between cards" card so I am earning a little something, and I have a CF which I am using for Amazon purchases right now.

I have no particular affinity for any airline (I have a Citi AA which I am now renewing solely for the purpose of using the free checked bag feature in November) and no loyalty to any hotel program unless you count Best Western (which I feel certain you do not! :rotfl:)

So I'm just sort of ... stagnating.

Exciting! I remember those days (years) well. We planned vacations as a coping mechanism throughout our infertility treatments and adoption journeys. Every time one fell through, we booked a last minute trip. In fact, we were actually at Disney World (after another placement fell through) when we got the call for our youngest, now DS12!

For longer range planning, we just tried to book refundable as much as possible. Flights on SW points, flexible hotel bookings, even some cruises allow you to refund all but the deposit 30 days out. For travel insurance, look for the "Cancel for any Reason" coverage, and be prepared to forfeit 25% of the nonrefundable portions. It's an unusual sensation booking a vacation you hope to cancel with a couple hundred dollar deposit you'd be thrilled to lose. :love:

Any suggestions on a next card? I have no particular travel goals but I do like the flexibility of URs (although I haven't accrued enough MRs to have an opinion on those).

With the WDW booked and paid for, I am now only a couple hundred dollars away from meeting MSR on the CSP.

I am currently 2/24 and will be 1/24 in about 3 weeks, but I think the CIP is out of the picture (not only for me, but for a lot of other people too, it seems :guilty: )

I do have an Amex BBP as my "between cards" card so I am earning a little something, and I have a CF which I am using for Amazon purchases right now.

I have no particular affinity for any airline (I have a Citi AA which I am now renewing solely for the purpose of using the free checked bag feature in November) and no loyalty to any hotel program unless you count Best Western (which I feel certain you do not! :rotfl:)

So I'm just sort of ... stagnating.

I can't remember with Japan if you'd used hotel points or not. That trip is still something you want to do right? Is hotel points for that something that would work? That's what I'd look to, what do you want to do a year plus from now?

I can't remember with Japan if you'd used hotel points or not. That trip is still something you want to do right? Is hotel points for that something that would work? That's what I'd look to, what do you want to do a year plus from now?
That's very kind of you to remember!

I had booked about a week's worth of hotels using Chase URs, yes. (The other few days I had originally booked the "normal" way and then I was going to try to rebook with points after I had received another SUB).

Yes, I canceled the Kyoto hotel (it made me cry to do it) and those URs immediately went back into my account. So I am happy to continue with Chase IF they'll allow me to, but they literally just approved me for the CSP about 3 weeks ago so I'm not sure 1- if they'd approve yet another card so soon... it would have to be a personal I think? and 2- if there are even any other Chase cards with nice SUBs worth considering.

I do wish to look into Japan again... what I am mostly hoping for is that my VS miles (which are now of course stuck in VS forever) will still be "good" to rebook on ANA when the time comes and that I have enough of some sort of points to cover hotels again.

I'm just so worried about what international travel may look like, even in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter