I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go Ravenclaw! As a kid I wanted to be a Gryffindor like Harry & Hermione so bad... but I got Ravenclaw on every quiz I took... so I finally accepted my fate :laughing: Now that I'm older I think it's accurate but I used to get so frustrated!!!
My LO really wants to be/thinks she is a Gryffindor, but she's totally a Hufflepuff. I don't have the heart to tell her. Also, if she is a Gryffindor, we have all 4 houses in the family, so I go with it to make souvenir shopping more fun.

Venture denial letter says denial reason is “no revolving balances on existing cards and time of most recent card opening”. Last personal card application was in November 2018... Amex Hilton card.
I was thinking of trying for this card again, for me or dh, if it's churnable (which I am unsure of) but now this makes me nervous.

My LO really wants to be/thinks she is a Gryffindor, but she's totally a Hufflepuff. I don't have the heart to tell her. Also, if she is a Gryffindor, we have all 4 houses in the family, so I go with it to make souvenir shopping more fun.

Your family sounds like mine: DD and DM are Slytherin, DH is Hufflepuff, my DB is a Gryffindor, my niece is Hufflepuff and I'm Ravenclaw. My father is a clear Squib, as I suspect my beloved Nana was also a Ravenclaw and my other grandparents were Slytherin and Gryffindor. It's so fun for shopping, as you've said!

Last edited:
Your family sounds like mine: DD and DM are Slytherin, DH is Hufflepuff, my DB is a Griffendor, my niece is Hufflepuff and I'm Ravenclaw. My father is a clear Squib, as I suspect my beloved Nana was also a Ravenclaw and my other grandparents were Slytherin and Griffendor. It's so fun for shopping, as you've said!
But DS and I can share shirts :)

I'm a Ravenclaw because I choose to be. Never took a quiz. Remember the sorting hat - you can choose which house you want to be in. I prefer to be among the wise and I am certainly not brave! Plus blue and green are my favorite colors and I'm definitely not Slytherin material.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Are you supposed to carry balances? I pay our cards every week... should I be waiting until the statement cuts?
Yes, you should pay your balances. Capital one is odd.
That sounds like a weird reason for denial, but if someone such as MKTokyo pays every week and the statement never closes with a balance, do the charges not get reported to the credit agencies so it may look like they are not using the card at all? I'm not sure how credit agencies work. I usually let the statement close with a balance and pay it off by the due date. DH and I both were approved for this card and we never pay interest. I have heard Capital One is screwy.

Does anyone have (or have any thoughts about) a Bank of America business card? They have two that I am considering: one that earns 1.5 points per dollar and has a 25,000 point SUB and one that earns 1% cash back and has a $300 SUB. For various reasons, Chase and AmEx are not options at the moment, and I am seriously missing having a SUB.

That sounds like a weird reason for denial, but if someone such as MKTokyo pays every week and the statement never closes with a balance, do the charges not get reported to the credit agencies so it may look like they are not using the card at all? I'm not sure how credit agencies work. I usually let the statement close with a balance and pay it off by the due date. DH and I both were approved for this card and we never pay interest. I have heard Capital One is screwy.

In addition to this screwiness, Capital One business cards show up on personal credit reports and Capital One pulls from all three reporting bureaus.

Keep us posted on this! I’m hoping to put property taxes on an Amex card during MSR within the next month, but don’t remember reading about the possibility of it not counting. Maybe I did and I just forgot.

I've paid property taxes for 8 Amex SUBs now and all have posted.

Venture denial letter says denial reason is “no revolving balances on existing cards and time of most recent card opening”. Last personal card application was in November 2018... Amex Hilton card.

Sorry about the denial. :( At least they're being honest about it.

It may be for the best anyway- I know this is not the right board for it, but we just finished Financial Peace University anyway- so getting a credit card before we really got the ball rolling on everything else would be unwise ;P

Best wishes with FPU. I've not done it myself but know several people whose lives have very literally been transformed by it. And once you get a handle on your financial life it's much easier to make credit card companies work for you instead of the other way around.

How do I find out the cpp (is that the right acronym?? the redemption value) of a Chase UR as it relates to United Miles? I'm probably not asking this right:

My parents have around 168K united miles. I just looked at they'll need something like 264K miles to get to London from here (i just picked a random set of dates in June since this is very preliminary... just trying to see what their goal needs to be).

If they were to apply for and get a CIP at get 80K URs, do those translate into 80K united miles or how do I go about figuring that out?

How do I find out the cpp (is that the right acronym?? the redemption value) of a Chase UR as it relates to United Miles? I'm probably not asking this right:

My parents have around 168K united miles. I just looked at they'll need something like 264K miles to get to London from here (i just picked a random set of dates in June since this is very preliminary... just trying to see what their goal needs to be).

If they were to apply for and get a CIP at get 80K URs, do those translate into 80K united miles or how do I go about figuring that out?
Yes. Points transfer 1:1 UR to United. So they would 96k.

It may be for the best anyway- I know this is not the right board for it, but we just finished Financial Peace University anyway- so getting a credit card before we really got the ball rolling on everything else would be unwise ;P

I appreciate it! Actually, the more I think about it, the less I think we are going to go down that route. We have never been the ones that do well with credit cards anyway, so I think we will stick to the Chase Disney Debit card for the 10% off dining and just buy gift cards with the Target Red Card and leave the credit cards alone :)
I'm the outlier here with possible good news for you :blush: I do this hobby (against advice) with credit card debt and we had low scores when we started. My husband had a foreclosure on his report (was not on mine). However, we did not have any collections so I'm not sure how that will factor in.

Advice is if you have debt, you should not have this hobby. But, this hobby allowed me to separate old debt from new charges and I'm paying off my van as soon as we run taxes. I've already paid off one credit card and I'll pay off another this year as well, or at least get really close to it. I thought it would take me much longer to reach this point so I'm really happy about this.

My first card was Southwest, my score on Transunion/Equifax was low 600. I followed that with a second Southwest and then 5 months-ish from the first I applied for CSR with a sub-650 credit score and was instantly approved. My husband did not get into the game until the fc dropped and at that point we had a new mortgage on his report as well. I had also added him as AU to my CSR to help boost his score a little by adding more available credit to his numbers.

Only you can decide if you can handle this or if it will get you further into trouble. I'm just sharing my story to say it is possible, but you're going against the "rules" so to speak. That first app was scary, I thought it would be a denial, but it's been a fun few years and I'm so much ahead of where I would be otherwise. I'm really not sure how collections play in though so you've got a 50/50 chance in my opinion.

Another question (for my parents):

I stopped one step short of holding a flight for them. It's 2 passengers. The website says they get one checked bag for no cost. It does not seem to specify if that's one checked bag per person, or one checked bag total. Anyone know? They don't have any special United status.. Just Explorer MileagePlus he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter