I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's @wendow ? I think she's got the handle on that. Didn't her daughter start with a Freedom card? Or maybe a Discover?
I'm here :)

I have a dd20 and a dd18. My dd20 began with a Discover card (literally like her bday), followed by a CFU 6 mos later and her first CIP 8 mos later. The Discover card is a super important starting point!!

DD18 just turned 18 and and just got a Discover. We will follow a path similar to other dd and wait 6 mos for a card from Chase.

I ended up booking a hotel through the chase portal with my CFU earlier this week. The charge shows up as "Chase Travel", but I was only given the standard 1.5x points on the purchase. What is the best way to contact them? I tried going in to send a secure message and when I indicate I am contacting them about rewards, it won't let me proceed, just directs me to the rewards page.
Admittedly, I didn't read the T&C, but is the 5x back only when USING points? It didn't specify that anywhere, but I paid with my CFU.

Went to pick up my Thai (paid with my
I'm here :)

I have a dd20 and a dd18. My dd20 began with a Discover card (literally like her bday), followed by a CFU 6 mos later and her first CIP 8 mos later. The Discover card is a super important starting point!!

DD18 just turned 18 and and just got a Discover. We will follow a path similar to other dd and wait 6 mos for a card from Chase.
Awesome-thanks, all. Nice to know where to ask these questions.

I read on the Disney gift Card thread that PayPal Key allows you to use PayPal on any online purchase, even if it doesn’t have the “pay with PayPal” option. This sounds great for chase freedoms with 5% on PayPal this quarter, but I don’t know anything about how PayPal Key works and am wondering if anyone here has set it up? Any concerns? I’m going to start researching it, but figured I’d go to the experts first.

I ended up booking a hotel through the chase portal with my CFU earlier this week. The charge shows up as "Chase Travel", but I was only given the standard 1.5x points on the purchase. What is the best way to contact them? I tried going in to send a secure message and when I indicate I am contacting them about rewards, it won't let me proceed, just directs me to the rewards page.
Admittedly, I didn't read the T&C, but is the 5x back only when USING points? It didn't specify that anywhere, but I paid with my CFU.

I haven't used it, so I don't know what it looks like. But I wonder if it shows up differently. On the Rewards Activity page, there's a separate tab for "Bonus on Ultimate Rewards Travel" next to "Bonus on shopping and promotions".

To SM, I'd try Account Inquiry so it lets you send a message. It is about your account. :)

Tried to app for a CIU last night. Got the circle circle circle of we are thinking forever, got the email right away that someone checked credit then it crashed saying I needed to restart application. Called the status line last night and it says no new applications in last 30 days. Was about to redo app this morning when I see email that says thank you for interest in a credit card. So did I apply or not?? lol I have no idea. I remember others had problems with the status line. It still says no applications on file this morning.

I read on the Disney gift Card thread that PayPal Key allows you to use PayPal on any online purchase, even if it doesn’t have the “pay with PayPal” option. This sounds great for chase freedoms with 5% on PayPal this quarter, but I don’t know anything about how PayPal Key works and am wondering if anyone here has set it up? Any concerns? I’m going to start researching it, but figured I’d go to the experts first.
I have used PayPay Key and it does show up as PayPal when I log into my online credit card activity. I just use the 16digit PPK number at checkout, and then the charge shows up on the cc linked to PPK. I have 3 Freedoms to use, and I'm halfway through the 2nd one for PayPal. It may take longer than usual for the activity to post on the credit card, so don't wait until 12/31 to use any Freedom linked to PPK.

Tried to app for a CIU last night. Got the circle circle circle of we are thinking forever, got the email right away that someone checked credit then it crashed saying I needed to restart application. Called the status line last night and it says no new applications in last 30 days. Was about to redo app this morning when I see email that says thank you for interest in a credit card. So did I apply or not?? lol I have no idea. I remember others had problems with the status line. It still says no applications on file this morning.
It sounds like they received your application. Those are the same notifications I received for our recent CIU.

You can always go through to a person amd explain what happened and that you want to confirm the app since the status line doesn't have it. Not a big deal, was a quick call and they didn't ask anything.

It is a hard choice. I got my Bonvoy Biz last year and my 24 month clock will actually be up in 7 months. But by getting the Brilliant, that clock is going to reset. That would be an argument for getting both with this promo if the goal is get as many Bonvoy as possible. But x/24 slots are precious, so depends on what other cards you have your eye on.
I was approved by the Biz card using DH’s referral. I figured I had until January to decide on the Brilliant but since we are in the middle of some home improvements it’s easy to meet MSRs and I’m without one now.

I finally got to use some points for travel! Just booked us next Oct. for 3 nights at Hard Rock Universal using Chase URs.
Used cash to put a deposit on a package for 2 nights with 2 days tickets at Fort Wilderness Cabins. I might switch to Saratoga using our DVC points but not sure yet. Still hoping I will we can use our DVC points for Aulani in 2022.

CFU is the one DD got, friends' kids have, and also wendow's DD. But my DD really started with a credit union one first. For Chase, go with the CFU.

My youngest is 28 now so it's been a while, but she started with an AU card on my old SPG card which of course turned into a Bonvoy when Marriott took over. And, we went the credit union route with first the savings account at birth, and then added checking at age 16 with a debit card and later credit card at 18.

Since then, she has remained an AU, continued to put her spend on the credit union card, and obtained a Disney card which she has never charged on so that I could get the support. I have a trickle charge each month on the card to keep it active. At age 21 she bought a new car and her credit score was 800.

She's made it clear she's not interested in churning, but uses her card for all purchases, pays it off monthly and probably has a boatload of points accumulated over the last 10 years at 1 and 1/2%. If only I could get her interested in a CSP!!!

Hi folks! Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. We got a cool front in Houston so we are enjoying a very fall-like weekend in the high 70s/low 80s 😂 I also treated myself to my annual pumpkin spice latte after early voting so I’ve been feeling very autumnal this week!

Two churning related things: I downgraded my CIP to a CIU and will be applying for DH’s CSP this week before the 11/8 deadline.

Also, for anyone going to Universal soon and looking for a way to defray expenses in the parks, I saw Universal Orlando resort gift cards at Randall’s today for the first time ever. It’s a Houston grocery chain owned by Safeway so maybe check there if you don’t have a Randall’s near you. Might be useful if you are going soon and want to redeem some URs at 1.5 cpp through PYB to cover dining and souvenir purchases.

My youngest is 28 now so it's been a while, but she started with an AU card on my old SPG card which of course turned into a Bonvoy when Marriott took over. And, we went the credit union route with first the savings account at birth, and then added checking at age 16 with a debit card and later credit card at 18.

Since then, she has remained an AU, continued to put her spend on the credit union card, and obtained a Disney card which she has never charged on so that I could get the support. I have a trickle charge each month on the card to keep it active. At age 21 she bought a new car and her credit score was 800.

She's made it clear she's not interested in churning, but uses her card for all purchases, pays it off monthly and probably has a boatload of points accumulated over the last 10 years at 1 and 1/2%. If only I could get her interested in a CSP!!!

I always forget the AU part of the equation. DD was an AU on DH's platinum since high school, and then the Disney card because not everyone takes AMEX.

Has anyone ever seen IKEA gift cards available at a grocery store or home improvement store? Specifically a Randall's, Kroger, or HEB (those are what I I have near me).

My Christmas list patio furniture is about to be out of stock so I maaaaay just go redeem some points rather than take the risk of another delivery truck showing up :D

Just to tuck this away for future reference, if we love WDW:

Am I correct in thinking that the Swan and Dolphin are Marriott properties, and, as such, could be a use for Marriott points (if I had any, which I don't)?

If so, what are the pros/cons to being at either one of those? I know they're not Disney owned, so one cannot use, for example, Magical Express to/from the airport.

What else should I be aware of? I'm trying to decide if I should start looking at Marriott-earning cards IF that's a good WDW option (I don't believe we would normally stay at Marriotts otherwise).

Basically, what would we be "missing" by stating at Swan/Dolphin as opposed to staying at a Disney-owned property?

Last edited:
Also, for anyone going to Universal soon and looking for a way to defray expenses in the parks, I saw Universal Orlando resort gift cards at Randall’s today for the first time ever. It’s a Houston grocery chain owned by Safeway so maybe check there if you don’t have a Randall’s near you. Might be useful if you are going soon and want to redeem some URs at 1.5 cpp through PYB to cover dining and souvenir purchases.
We are going next month, too bad we don't live in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter