I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two questions:
1. Can someone explain “pop up jail” to me, really dumbing it down for me? I did card match for hubby’s 125k amex plat.

2. Is there a disboards permissible way to help out fellow posters by using support links?

Last edited:
Two questions:
1. Can someone explain “pop up jail” to me, really dumbing it down for me? I did card match for hubby’s 125k amex plat.

hello @FreeDiningFanatic
we dont think your profitable to us here at amex, so we dont want to give u a welcome bonus offer because of that.
thank you come again!

fyi, we have a short term memory...

Well I have been having fun today. There is something dead in my basement. Our guess at this point is it's in my ducts...

Nothing like my house smelling like rotting chicken!

My mother's house backed up to a field, so we are familiar with the unique stench of something dying in the walls. Amazon sells some odor eliminate products that work pretty well. My recommendation is the Bad Air Sponge. Get a couple smaller ones and flip them completely out of the container to increase surface area. If it's a little critter, the smell may be gone in 2-3 days.

hello @FreeDiningFanatic
we dont think your profitable to us here at amex, so we dont want to give u a welcome bonus offer because of that.
thank you come again!

fyi, we have a short term memory...
Thanks for the reply, and I should have googled it but I honestly thought it would be on the dl, but from my google search, it’s pretty common knowledge. Good reminder to have continuous spend on cards.

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/amex-us-avoiding-the-dreaded-pop-up/

Did anyone else have a Barclay card that offered a bonus to spend something like $3000 in 3 months and get xxx after?
I had an offer an my BArclay to spend $3000 in 3 months, get $500. Just wondering when the $500 will appear, after the 3 months is over?

Please ignore previous empty post.

It was my attempt to copy and paste a SW email offer on the $69 card.

'Spend $2000 in 3 months get 50K points. Get 30K more points after you spend $10K in 9 months. Plus earn 5 points per $ on up to $2K per month on SW travel purchases until March 31/21.

Last edited:
Gamestop has UberEats gift cards 20% off today and Chase has a GameStop offer--mine is 10% off up to $9 savings. I think I'll grab a $100 UberEats gift card for $72. Our favorite Thai place is on ubereats so we've been ordering out a few times a month.

Circling back to this, so you can always upgrade the Live Gold to Ultimate for $1? But you have to do it monthly? My sister got her kids an Xbox for Christmas and is asking me questions, 😂 since I get my info from you guys, I guess I sound knowledgeable. I can upgrade monthly, but my sister won't do that. She can't be bothered to use credit cards since they have to be paid monthly, they use debit only. 🙄
ETA: couple more stupid questions. Costco has a 24 month Gold for $95 which seems the cheapest I can find. Upgrading for $1 would be a great savings. You can load that into any account, including for the Xbox that uses discs, right? Major differences between Gold and Ultimate? We've only had Ultimate but maybe Gold is enough for my sister. My nephew mostly wants to play Minecraft and hates sports.

The best way to do it is to load up Gold for up to 3 years (that is the max) but as you mentioned the Costco $95 is the cheapest that is out there. Once you load that you can convert the entire thing from Live Gold to Ultimate. So more or less the $96 you spent is $359 in value since Gamepass Ultimate is retail for $14.99 a month. The best way to explain ultimate is that for free gives access to all of the "first party" Microsoft games and it seems that they are always there and don't get removed. In addition other games are added and are usually up for maybe 3 to 4 months at a time. Usually this is enough time to finish a game. With 2 kids I feel I have very limited time and was still able to finish a couple of those type games that were there for a limited time. Finally one of the recent additions to Gamepass Ultimate is EA play which gives access to all of the EA games. Usually the new ones show up 6 months after release. Hope that answers all the questions!

Well, I ended up pulling the trigger and getting the 125,000 AmEx Platinum from the mailer DH had received, so we now both have it. I have already used his sax credit, so I'll share how I used both of them in case it will help anyone.

For mine, I got my niece some ugg slippers that she had been wanting. I personally think they are crazy looking, but she wants them, so I get to be the good aunt lol. They were $100 everywhere, so I ordered them from Sax yesterday and got free shipping from shoprunner and 15% back through rakuten, so I'm looking at them as $100 - $50 AmEx credit - $15 cash back =$35 for a great gift (plus $50 toward my spend and points earned).

For DH's card, after I applied today, I got the card number immediately and signed up for the promotion. I went through Rakuten again (12% today) and got DD2 some Ray-Ban sunglasses that she wants. They were $165 :crazy2: - normally, she would never get them from me, but it's Christmas and it's part of her budgeted amount, so I'll go with it. They had a deal today for $50 off $200, so I found some socks that were $35 a pair (again :crazy2:), but I got them to get an extra $15 off of the glasses. So, this purchase was $165 - $15 for the discount greater than the socks - $50 for the Amex credit -$18 cash back (plus a free pair of socks that should be out of this world)! = $82 for the exact glasses that she wants.

The second purchase wasn't as great a deal, because the glasses were a bit cheaper on Ray-ban's website and I know there's a CC offer for spend through Ray-Ban, but the cash back percentage wasn't nearly as high, so it still came out as a savings. Not as high as the slippers, but overall, I"m happy because looking at their prices, everything is crazy high and most of the brands they carry aren't ones my family uses.

I just calculated if I would have purchased through ray-ban they would have been: $154 - 4% Cashback ($6.16) - $30 AmEx offer = $117.84, so basically I saved $35.84 of my $50 credit over and above my other options. I'm pretty pleased with that I guess.
Nice work! I thought I'd end up getting some $50 kitchen gadget, but DD15 wanted a pair of Dr. Martens for Christmas, they were $150 everywhere I looked, so with the $50 credit and $15 cash back from Rakuten, $85 wasn't too bad. It was also my first time using Shoprunner. All these new credits and benefits to get used to!

Please ignore previous empty post.

It was my attempt to copy and paste a SW email offer on the $69 card.

'Spend $2000 in 3 months get 50K points. Get 30K more points after you spend $10K in 9 months. Plus earn 5 points per $ on up to $2K per month on SW travel purchases until March 31/21.
That's an amazing offer, as good as a SUB, without taking up a new card spot. Nice!

Did anyone else have a Barclay card that offered a bonus to spend something like $3000 in 3 months and get xxx after?
I had an offer an my BArclay to spend $3000 in 3 months, get $500. Just wondering when the $500 will appear, after the 3 months is over?

I had the same offer - I figured it would be when the statement closes after meeting the spend, but I don't know that for sure. I'm hoping to use it on a trip to the keys this March, so I guess it would post by then either way, I'd just like to see it in my account sooner rather than later.

That's an amazing offer, as good as a SUB, without taking up a new card spot. Nice!

No, it is a card offer from my email. Sorry, I tried to post it from my email but kept getting clickable links that led to back to personal data.

Sorry for the confusion.

Chase Freedom Q1 Bonus categories are out--warehouse clubs, streaming services, and phone/internet.

Don't think I'll max out both of mine next quarter. Warehouse clubs is the only one I'll use.
Well timed for a bit of savings on my GCs for DVC dues with Warehouse clubs. I have less free time with work being crazy for the last 9 months, so I am happy to save where I can with easy savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter