I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the input. I very rarely fly delta so I'm pretty much a neophyte. Given my experience with AA and UA, the numbers looked high... and when you add in the fuel surcharges, it's madness.

The fuel surcharges will be an issue on any airline because of the costs of London.

I appreciate the input. I very rarely fly delta so I'm pretty much a neophyte. Given my experience with AA and UA, the numbers looked high... and when you add in the fuel surcharges, it's madness.
You're welcome. I just looked up a UA routing out of ORD and it's 155 in each direction, so 310 RT. 290 RT doesn't look high.
The fuel surcharges will be an issue on any airline because of the costs of London.
This, exactly this. I've heard of people flying into LHR, taking the train to Paris and flying out of CDG so that they didn't have to pay the fees charged for flights out of LHR. Was actually something I was planning to do this spring before COVID screwed that up.

I used the Target/PayPal deal on Friday to get two $200 eVGC’s and it worked. Sweet deal.

Can anybody tell me what the current situation is with converting VGC and MCGC to serve? Can I do both at FD and VGC only at Walmart (but not MCGC)? I think that was how it was last time I was doing it, but Walmart being iffy at times. I’m done paying on tuition for a couple months and I’ve been out of the loop since last winter.
My local FDs are good for both MCGC and VGC. Limit of $500. At our Walmarts it’s a no go at the money center and CS, but at a regular register VGC are easy and MCGC can work if you can switch to debit real quick after swiping the card before the cashier hits any buttons. I think it has something to do with which registers your Walmart has. One type works and one doesn’t. I can’t remember which ours is but I can check next time I’m there because fortunately they still work for now.

Unfortunately not.

"If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience..."

The key word here is *that* night. What they are describing is when a hotel walks you, ie you and your luggage show up and there is no room at the inn. Blog posts, FT, etc. all concur that the guarantee is only for walked guests, not guests who had their confirmed hotel rooms cancelled prior to arrival. (If this worked for people who had hotels cancelled before arrival it would have been the biggest Covid Travel Hack of 2020 in the churning world ;) )
Unfortunately not.

"If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience..."

The key word here is *that* night. What they are describing is when a hotel walks you, ie you and your luggage show up and there is no room at the inn. Blog posts, FT, etc. all concur that the guarantee is only for walked guests, not guests who had their confirmed hotel rooms cancelled prior to arrival. (If this worked for people who had hotels cancelled before arrival it would have been the biggest Covid Travel Hack of 2020 in the churning world ;) )

You’re right. In looking into the T&C, it also says “A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.”

I guess I was foolish to believe a reservation guarantee would guarantee a reservation. 😂

You're welcome. I just looked up a UA routing out of ORD and it's 155 in each direction, so 310 RT. 290 RT doesn't look high.

This, exactly this. I've heard of people flying into LHR, taking the train to Paris and flying out of CDG so that they didn't have to pay the fees charged for flights out of LHR. Was actually something I was planning to do this spring before COVID screwed that up.

That was our plan, too. Disembark in Dover, take the train to Paris, stay for a few days, and then fly out of CDG. The fees are far less, plus, Paris. It was all booked for 2020, until Covid messed it all up. :( The train is kind of fun, too.

While Disney Chase card is not the best on "bang for buck" I'm using this for shopping as we have $500 saved up to spend from this. We have SW points paying for 2/5 of us to fly free to WDW! Looking for ways to expand my credit card wizarding skills!

You could test the waters by getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred while it's still at 100,000 UR as a sign up bonus. That would allow you to experience having a transferable currency (Hyatt hotels, Southwest/United flights). If you decide to get even more serious, then it would be time to delve into the world of business credit cards (as a sole proprietorship), which unlocks the mother lode of points across several different credit card issuers.

I got my bonus from my CSR on my Oct. 2017 CSR. Statement closed Oct. 9.
I plan on downgrading my CSR Oct. 1 after using my travel credit.
When can I apply for a CSP?

For pet lovers.

In the last few days I have been ordering pet food, using some offers from both PetSmart, Chewy and Chase.

PetSmart was offering 30% off autoship. I had a heck of a time trying to get stuff into the cart because it was coming up as unavailable after I chose it. This was mostly with Fancy Feast canned food, which my cats love. They also get dry food. I'm feeding 3 cats, total. 2 are mine and one is for charity. Finally gave up and just went with the dog food. This alone was over $90. Once the order processed, it then showed what had shipped. Waited 2 days and called as the shipped items were short 40% of my order. Was assured by PetSmart customer service I would get another email once the remainder shipped. Meanwhile, I'm using the 30% offer for autoship and 20% off through the Chase offer up to $14, so I want ALL my order.

I reverted to Chewy for the cat food. Usually I can order from Chewy and it's here the next day. No discounts except the autoship discount. This order may arrive tomorrow, according to tracking. So 5 days this time, and it's coming from Ocala, Florida. Usually, it comes from Pennsylvania or somewhere in Maryland.

The Petsmart CS alluded to 'big changes'. Seemed like she was referring to possible shortages over the coming months plus rising prices. @amalone1013 ? any insight?

My local FDs are good for both MCGC and VGC. Limit of $500. At our Walmarts it’s a no go at the money center and CS, but at a regular register VGC are easy and MCGC can work if you can switch to debit real quick after swiping the card before the cashier hits any buttons. I think it has something to do with which registers your Walmart has. One type works and one doesn’t. I can’t remember which ours is but I can check next time I’m there because fortunately they still work for now.
That’s interesting about the different registers. I’m a little nervous to try Walmart at all because I hate the idea of having it not work and the hassle that is. I just wish FD was more convenient for me to get to. Got DG’s coming out of my ears around here but not so much FD. Thanks Minnie368 and @tink1970 for the update!

For pet lovers.

In the last few days I have been ordering pet food, using some offers from both PetSmart, Chewy and Chase.

PetSmart was offering 30% off autoship. I had a heck of a time trying to get stuff into the cart because it was coming up as unavailable after I chose it. This was mostly with Fancy Feast canned food, which my cats love. They also get dry food. I'm feeding 3 cats, total. 2 are mine and one is for charity. Finally gave up and just went with the dog food. This alone was over $90. Once the order processed, it then showed what had shipped. Waited 2 days and called as the shipped items were short 40% of my order. Was assured by PetSmart customer service I would get another email once the remainder shipped. Meanwhile, I'm using the 30% offer for autoship and 20% off through the Chase offer up to $14, so I want ALL my order.

I reverted to Chewy for the cat food. Usually I can order from Chewy and it's here the next day. No discounts except the autoship discount. This order may arrive tomorrow, according to tracking. So 5 days this time, and it's coming from Ocala, Florida. Usually, it comes from Pennsylvania or somewhere in Maryland.

The Petsmart CS alluded to 'big changes'. Seemed like she was referring to possible shortages over the coming months plus rising prices. @amalone1013 ? any insight?
Yikes. Everything is such a hot mess. I can't find Gatorade in stores right now. DD is having a crazy time trying to get meals in college because they keep running out of food, don't have enough staff, etc. This just feels like we will never get back to normal:(

While Disney Chase card is not the best on "bang for buck" I'm using this for shopping as we have $500 saved up to spend from this. We have SW points paying for 2/5 of us to fly free to WDW! Looking for ways to expand my credit card wizarding skills!
You could test the waters by getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred while it's still at 100,000 UR as a sign up bonus. That would allow you to experience having a transferable currency (Hyatt hotels, Southwest/United flights). If you decide to get even more serious, then it would be time to delve into the world of business credit cards (as a sole proprietorship), which unlocks the mother lode of points across several different credit card issuers.
I agree with @Arcades, everyone that is eligible for the Chase Sapphire bonus should get one. I'm assuming you have a player 2 (p2) that would also qualify for the bonus.

You could apply, earn at least 104,000 UR (100K bonus + 4K spend), then your P2 would use your support link to apply for the CSP too that would earn you 20K URs for the support link plus another 104K for the bonus. That is an easy 228,000 URs, which is worth $2,850 in travel when you use it on the Chase travel portal.

Another good UR earning option is the Chase Freedom or Freedom Flex. The current bonus is $200 (20K URs) + you can earn 5 URs per dollar at grocery stores up to $12,000 in the first year. If you can max that out, that's 60K URs, which you can transfer to your CSP.

Don't forget to use a support link, someone here can add you to the Reddit group. I can't recall who has access.

Last edited:
For pet lovers.

Ugh! I order Puggles food from Amazon on auto ship but I have been canceling orders the last couple of months since I have more than enough. I prefer to grab a can of green beans and sweet potatoes and a rotisserie chicken to feed him than dry food. Plus trying to get him to 2 meals a day rather than the 3 he was getting as a puppy. Trying to avoid an overweight pug.

I agree with @Arcades, everyone that is eligible for the Chase Sapphire bonus should get one. I'm assuming you have a player 2 (p2) that would also qualify for the bonus.

You could apply, earn at least 104,000 UR (100K bonus + 4K spend), then your P2 would use your support link to apply for the CSP too that would earn you 20K URs for the support link plus another 104K for the bonus. That is an easy 228,000 URs, which is worth $2,850 in travel when you use it on the Chase travel portal.

Another good UR earning option is the Chase Freedom or Freedom Flex. The current bonus is $200 (20K URs) + you can earn 5 URs per dollar at grocery stores up to $12,000 in the first year. If you can max that out, that's 60K URs, which you can transfer to your CSP.

Don't forget to use a support link, someone here can add you to the Reddit group. I can't recall who has access.
@SouthFayetteFan has the Reddit power…

Amex offer on all my cards:

$15 off $100 at Happy cards.com

Also, my MR cards have an extra point per dollar at Lowes. Didn't add as it isn't enough to bypass my 5%, but, when I've seen this offer, usually a better cash off offer is coming.
I’ve missed having a nice big Amex Lowes offer for planning my Disney fall trip so fingers crossed!

Are there plays on the happy cards for Disney? Been a long time since I dabbled in those and the landscape seems to have changed when I’m scanning through them online.

Does anyone have a recent DP on what my favorite ticket broker UCT codes as? Is it travel?

Last edited:
Ugh! I order Puggles food from Amazon on auto ship but I have been canceling orders the last couple of months since I have more than enough. I prefer to grab a can of green beans and sweet potatoes and a rotisserie chicken to feed him than dry food. Plus trying to get him to 2 meals a day rather than the 3 he was getting as a puppy. Trying to avoid an overweight pug.
My older dog loves frozen green beans (she was overweight at one point and they helped get weight off her pretty fast). And she used to love rotisserie chicken until I learned chicken was a hot food based on Traditional Chinese Vetrinary Medicine. Now I bake her cod (apparently a cold food) and she pants so much less it's unreal. I swear she eats better than anyone else. But both dogs still do get kibble because for me that's easier to make sure they are getting complete nutrition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter