I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you all do.

I'm 3/24, with all 3 cards from this year. My first card won't drop until 03/2024.
My Amex Plat is coming up for renewal, I definitely want to keep a Plat in my wallet (I prefer the personal Plat benefits). Would you all use up your last 4/24 spot? Should I just keep my current card? I'm not interested in the Biz Plat because we can't meet the $15K MSR, DH just applied for another CIU.

Might be a long time to stay 4/24, but 4/24 is a lot better than 5/24. I made the mistake once of going to 5/24 and I'll try to never do that again bc it blocked me out of so many Chase biz apps and it seems I run through MSRs much faster than I estimate. I don't think I'd do it for a personal plat, also because of the loss of guest access to Centurion lounges.

I know you're really good about using the Amex benefits so a decent retention might feel like a SUB, keep you satisfied with having a plat in your wallet and not use up a new spot. Never know when something juicy will come around the corner...

what if its from Disney directly

Good luck? Might have better luck in the gc thread. Though I think the issue @DisneyMandC had was with them locking her card not that it wasn't activated. Same with someone over there that I don't think posts here.

Their CS is trash but I'd start with a call and then I think there's an email address.

Should I be using a shopping portal or is there some other better deal when upgrading a mobile device through AT&T? I won't do a trade in as I know so many people who have been shafted, and I plan to repurpose my old phone.

Did anyone doing the 60k MR biz account offer have any issues logging into your AMEX account and then clicking through? When I try it says the email is taken and to log into that account even though I already am logged in.

Which card is RCCL on? It would be nice to save a few bucks :)

That one is on my Amex Personal Plat, it is:
Spend $1,000 or more, get 25,000 Membership Rewards® points

It expires 12/31, but I added it a few months ago so the offer is probably gone. Wish you could use mine!

Did anyone doing the 60k MR biz account offer have any issues logging into your AMEX account and then clicking through? When I try it says the email is taken and to log into that account even though I already am logged in.
I did. I had to use my secondary email address, and it worked perfectly. Seemed weird, but it was all easy to set up with my other email address. I can login normally with my Amex business account login. Hopefully you have a back up email you can use. Otherwise I imagine you will have to contact them.

ETA: I was just able to quickly change my email on my business account to my primary email address. So maybe use a different email for your application, and then you can change it once you’re approved.

Was getting ready to apply for a CSP for DH... public offer I see is 60k URs for $4K spend. I just logged into his account and he has a green star "You're already approved" offer for a CSP for 80K for same spend. I guess it really would come out to the same URs as if I used the public offer, after the referral points I'd get (edited: actually it would be 5K less, I was thinking referrals are 20K but it'd only be 15 for Sapphire...), so I guess the green star offer is a better deal.
QUESTION, do the green star offers, if different than public, usually indicate that a public offer is changing? If there is a chance the public offer is going up to 80K, then I'll definitely wait so I can do referral as well!

Last edited:
I did. I had to use my secondary email address, and it worked perfectly. Seemed weird, but it was all easy to set up with my other email address. I can login normally with my Amex business account login. Hopefully you have a back up email you can use. Otherwise I imagine you will have to contact them.

ETA: I was just able to quickly change my email on my business account to my primary email address. So maybe use a different email for your application, and then you can change it once you’re approved.
When you changed your business email to the email you use for your personal account did it allow you to access personal and business accounts from one login like you can with Chase?

She has her own card, yes, but I believe in order to use the checking account MRs to transfer to Delta you have to have an MR card to pool them too? She wouldn't want to cash them out, she wants the Delta miles.
Ah yes, if that's the plan I double checked and cash out is the only option for the biz checking.

So I would get the checking now while it's at a good offer and then keep trying for a MR card with a sign up. If she keeps getting the pop up and is ready for the points, then go for a card you don't care about the sign up, like the Everyday card or if she's looking for a biz card instead, the Biz Green.

Everyday card has a 10k/2k/6 months sign up bonus, no AF, and a 0% interest on purchases for 15 months. 10k isn't much to miss if she gets the pop up. If she gets approved for the card without the bonus, all the regular benefits of the card are intact including the 0%, she would only miss out on an extra 10k MR. And it's not a terrible card to just have to continue with MR points. This for me is a keeper card.

Biz green card has waived AF for the first year and typically small sign up so you're not missing much. It's a 15k offer and right now I pulled up an incog offer for 25k/3k. So not the worse thing to miss out on if getting the pop up. Just remember to cancel when the AF posts next year.

Both cards can transfer MR to partners according to the MR points calculator.

https://global.americanexpress.com/rewards/calculator
Thank you also for your information. I am starting to branch out from CC SUBs. We purchased I Bonds at the end of October. This will be my first attempt at a bank bonus. DH does not see the value of a bank bonus but the MR's will be valuable for future travel.

I hope you are enjoying your travel.
Does DH see the value of an extra, say 5k, in cash in his savings account? They can add up. Now the downside to bank bonuses is they are usually taxable income so it can change your tax structure. For the majority of people it doesn't affect anything but padding the savings account with a smaller percentage of that going to Uncle Sam. But if you're on the cusp of brackets or have certain credits it could be a detriment.

If that's not you, then I say "cash buys travel too!" Or "cash pays AFs for the travel points!"

Funnily enough P2 is all about the bank bonuses. When he finishes one he asks me what's the next one I have lined up :D CCs he's a little more wary of but after a few years he's on board as long as I stick to certain criteria. So he brings me the cash to pay for things points don't and I bring the points for the rest. The trip we're on now was paid entirely by points and bank bonuses, including the point card AFs. No salary money involved IIRC.
For those of you who have done it, do I need to do a $5,000 deposit and 10 deposits, or could I deposit say $500 ten times to fulfill both the $5,000 requirement and the 10 transaction requirement?
I think you got your answer but just make sure they'll all clear within the required timeframe, 20 days I think. But ya that works too.

When you changed your business email to the email you use for your personal account did it allow you to access personal and business accounts from one login like you can with Chase?
I have separate logins for my personal and business accounts. So when I applied I used my business login and a secondary email because my primary email had your same issue. Now when I login to my business checking account I use my login associated with my business cards. If you only have one login account for your personal and business cards you should be able to see your checking account there. The email address is totally irrelevant. Whatever Amex account you login with to apply will be associated with your checking account. I hope that makes sense.

Having really bad luck with Amex chat and a retention offer on DH's Marriott Biz. last week, I did get someone to chat and say a dedicated retention chat team would be on in 2 mins, 10 mins later I logged off as I had to go. Trying today and not getting any response to my chat start. I have another week before I have to cancel to get my fee refunded. I seem to have the worst luck with retention offers. Time to HUCA.

Having really bad luck with Amex chat and a retention offer on DH's Marriott Biz. last week, I did get someone to chat and say a dedicated retention chat team would be on in 2 mins, 10 mins later I logged off as I had to go. Trying today and not getting any response to my chat start. I have another week before I have to cancel to get my fee refunded. I seem to have the worst luck with retention offers. Time to HUCA.

Do it through the app if you can. You can close the app and it'll notify you when they respond.

We had a Hilton FNC that would otherwise expire before the holidays, so I booked one night at the Conrad in Washington DC. I have never stayed in DC and only have visited the National Mall tourist sites in the summer. We have one afternoon/evening to spend but we want to get into the holiday spirit. I did a quick search and DC has a variety of holiday light displays & events - the downtown holiday market, the national Christmas tree display, the US capitol Christmas tree, Zoo-Lights, the US Botanic gardens display, and the City Center tree/shopping area which is near the hotel. Does anyone have advice on these possibilities or others that I missed? Also, would you recommend we take the Metro to get around? I am honestly a little stressed over this and I'm not sure I even want to go lol. I am not a spontaneous traveler especially during this busy month but I hate to waste the FNC.

edited to add Hilton told me their policy is to extend any FNC fo 2 weeks only and you have to call them on the day after your FNC expires.

Last edited:
I just found out the life insurance policy on my dad is 50% less than we were expecting because he's over 70. GRRRRR. It'll be about $25k hit. I'm trying to focus on the fact I'm still getting money I wasn't expecting. Just might hold off on the trip to Hawaii next summer, LOL. But now I'm looking at more ways to invest what I do have. I took $20k into the iBonds for myself and my 13yo. My 17yo put $10k of her cut ($23k) into an iBond too. So I'm looking at bank bonuses now to try and get the best "bang".

I just jumped on the Fidelity offer (I got $100 vs the $150 y'all got). I should have $300 coming from Citizen's hopefully in the next 30 days. I think I might jump on the $325 offer with Wells Fargo. I'll have a pretty nice amount of money I can likely play around doing a few bonuses at the same time. I probably should create a spreadsheet of the offers I'm doing, so I can keep track, LOL. Any other nice ones out there? I think I'm not eligible for the Amex ones, as I just closed that account. And my Kabbage is waiting to close.

For now I'm just going to have the money sit in my Discover acct, it's 3%, if I'm not moving it around for bonuses. I jokingly asked the BF the best way to get $25k out of my cut. My BF said Let's Go to Vegas, LOL. I think I'll play w/ bank bonuses for now. And have my 17yo start moving her money around once she's 18 and can open more accounts.

Got an email from chase this morning saying I'm close to my fnc from spend. So I looked at what they have just in case I messed my spreadsheet up. Nope, still almost 5k away, that's not close and I won't make it but my non cat/non msr spend has to go somewhere.

Still planning on a chase biz, just hoping I can find out what my raise will be before I have to apply. Boss is obviously waiting for approval but is more than a cost of living increase. So I'm watching for word on when the increased offer ends. Being able to put spend on it through March 19 to include my vacay would also be nice.

I have separate logins for my personal and business accounts. So when I applied I used my business login and a secondary email because my primary email had your same issue. Now when I login to my business checking account I use my login associated with my business cards. If you only have one login account for your personal and business cards you should be able to see your checking account there. The email address is totally irrelevant. Whatever Amex account you login with to apply will be associated with your checking account. I hope that makes sense.
Thanks I used my personal account and another email address and everything went fine. I'm going to sign up DW as well. She has a Platinum and Gold card that will be closed in 2023 unless she gets a good retention offer. If we do close both will the bank account keep the MR alive or will I need to get her a $0 AF card?

Anyone getting offers on AMEX Marriott Biz? Just got a $50 credit, no spend. Does anyone think this is good? I would have like at least half of the AF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter