• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are trying to get DS’s junior schedule together and he has the option to either take AP Comp or do dual enrollment at our local CC but the class would be at the high school. Any thoughts on the better option for his college transcript?
I think the AP class would look marginally better, but I really don't think it will matter much. Of course I say this as someone whose kid did IB, I thought when strength of curriculum is talked about, they are generally looking for a certain number of AP/IB classes. I didn't think DE was included. And honestly it's all so silly is my $0.02.

We are trying to get DS’s junior schedule together and he has the option to either take AP Comp or do dual enrollment at our local CC but the class would be at the high school. Any thoughts on the better option for his college transcript?
I would slightly lean to AP, but at the end of the day, colleges are looking for rigor, no matter how you show it. He'll be fine either way.

We are now a double companion pass household until 12/31/2023-- woohoo!

Fingers crossed SW gets their act together. We have flights in May, June & July booked.
I'm trying to figure out what is happening with SWA prices at this point.... they started high when I booked,and are now insanely high for the same flights...... is this just the way it's going to be now? or is this an adjustment time,and things will settle? I don't like this at all....

I'm trying to figure out what is happening with SWA prices at this point.... they started high when I booked,and are now insanely high for the same flights...... is this just the way it's going to be now? or is this an adjustment time,and things will settle? I don't like this at all....
I feel like this has been a "thing" with Southwest for a while now. I used to fly SW on points home to PHL each year and then SW slowly started increasing their prices as well as discontinuing the non-stop routes to Philly.
Now, I cannot justify a layover to PHL on SW any longer so we are flying United or American to PHL and using SW's shopping portal (sporradically) to rack up SW points and are only flying SW (on points) to MCO, non-stop, from here on out. Not using them for anything else.
Last year I flew three of us from HOU to LIH on SW on points -- with a stop, and an overnight, in Long Beach airport. The price (for points) was extremly cheap, like 20k round trip, but since then their cash prices and prices on points have been off the charts.
Each time I see a really good DVC deal I look at SW prices and balk.

Looking back pre pandemic and 737 Max grounding it was around 8,000RR points to fly one way ISP to MCO….and there there usually 3 non stop flights per day

Then the 737Max was grounded and SW had the free change window…so we were able to use less points and usually 2 non stops…followed by Covid prices dropped and I could get flights in the 5,000 RR points range….but only 1, sometimes 2 non stops.

The flights I have booked for the first part of 2022 were in the 8,000 RR point range again….But when the new schedule came out the flights in September are in the 11,500 RR point range…with 1 non stop a day. I believe the higher cost is due to more people traveling and the very high cost of gas, oil, jet fuel etc.

I don’t like the higher cost obviously but having only one direct flight a day is more of an issue for us to work around…..plus the schedule changes after we think everything is set

I downgraded P1 and P2 biz plats to biz greens, after we both apped for biz greens last week, since we've never held them before. I am honestly glad to have that biz plat annual fee monkey off my back. I chatted about three times for retention, which vascillated between $100 SC and no offer.

Next year I think I will cancel the downgraded biz greens, but I thought the $95 AF was worth it to keep pop up jail away. And I did get three cycles of Dell and (2) airline credits out of one biz plat annual fee, so I think the math works out like this:

$550 AF
$35 Prorated Biz plat fee (22 ish days)
$89 Prorated Biz Green annual fee (343ish days)
________
$674 investment

$500 Dell credit (I think 100, 200, 200)
$400 airline incidental credit
_________
$900 in benefits

I am not certain, but I think we earned about 145k MR for each of these cards, maybe more with support bonuses, which is worth $2100+. I'll consider the AFs a wash. I have complained about the Amex credits and keeping track of it and I am glad these cards are PCed, but it was worth the time for sure. Sometimes you need to take a step back and do the math to reach those conclusions.

Looking back pre pandemic and 737 Max grounding it was around 8,000RR points to fly one way ISP to MCO….and there there usually 3 non stop flights per day

Then the 737Max was grounded and SW had the free change window…so we were able to use less points and usually 2 non stops…followed by Covid prices dropped and I could get flights in the 5,000 RR points range….but only 1, sometimes 2 non stops.

The flights I have booked for the first part of 2022 were in the 8,000 RR point range again….But when the new schedule came out the flights in September are in the 11,500 RR point range…with 1 non stop a day. I believe the higher cost is due to more people traveling and the very high cost of gas, oil, jet fuel etc.

I don’t like the higher cost obviously but having only one direct flight a day is more of an issue for us to work around…..plus the schedule changes after we think everything is set
yes- the flights I'm looking at were to STL- they used to be nonstop for approx. 6-7000 each way....are now 1-2 stops at approx. 18000- 27000 each way.....

yes- the flights I'm looking at were to STL- they used to be nonstop for approx. 6-7000 each way....are now 1-2 stops at approx. 18000- 27000 each way.....
I noticed that too - we fly from STL, so Southwest has always been our best option for nonstop flights. We are going to the LAX area this summer for a cruise. I haven't booked flights yet because I'm working with my adult children and it's hard to get everyone to figure out what works best for them. Some of the flights that I was looking at have disappeared and the others have gone up in price. I think some of the group is going to fly a Nonstop to Long Beach and the others that have to work a full day before flying are going to have to take an 8 pm flight to LAX. I just hope it doesn't get cancelled because there aren't a lot of good options for the next morning if they'd have to fly in the day of the cruise.

I have an offer to buy IHG points at a 100% bonus. Is this ever a good idea?

Went for the Hyatt biz yesterday for DH. Was waiting to put more time between his last Chase app, but the current SUB was reportedly ending. Want the card for elite nights or else would have gone for a CIU/CIC.

The app was weird. Got a message that the offer was no longer available after submitting. Then I see on FM that the offer was ending at 4 pm ET and it was past that. Checked all 3 credit reports for inquiries and there were none. So I figured it didn't go through and just missed it. This morning I get notification of the hard pulls and the card is in his account. Yay! SM'd to have it expedited and to double check the bonus just in case (don't see the tracker yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter